R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Resizing service, anyone try that? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/44824-resizing-service-anyone-try.html)

jasoncsc 07-11-2004 02:14 AM

Resizing service, anyone try that?

Hi,

There are some resizing service in ebay offer to resize worn piston and sleeve to revive engine. Anyone try that? I wonder if its any good....

raffaelli 07-11-2004 07:31 AM

tried it on a .21 and .12. Engine came back, fast as a bullet.

http://www.buffalo.edu/~jfroth/pinch

tallyrc 07-11-2004 09:08 PM

only use OSROCKET!!!!!!!

GT-4 07-11-2004 09:13 PM

Does it last after the resizing?

Wat i've heard is that resizing the sleeve will only good for another gallon or 2....

Any other feedback would be great.

raffaelli 07-12-2004 04:21 AM

I am about 1 gallon into my .21, performance is still up there!

I dont know who osrocket is but you cant beat the performance and service of RayA.

sKiMpYbOy 07-12-2004 09:19 AM

hey dude,

Don't use OS ROCKET's service!!!!! Try RAYARACING!!!! he is the best out there..... trust me you won't be disappointed!!!!

RayA kicks ASS!!!!!

boner 07-12-2004 09:57 AM

I race with him weekly and lots of people at his local track uses his resizing service. Everyone said their engine are better if not just as good as new after resize. You can always ask him what kind of jobs will be done to the sleeve if you send it to him. He will give you IN DETAILS on what should be done and how!!! I'm sure he will show you around the resizing facility.
His service is worthy every penny!!!

vadn1 07-12-2004 10:43 AM

Both guys are great, You will not go wrong with either one.

uDi_MP7.5 07-13-2004 01:50 AM

skimpyboy - have you even used osrockets service? just curious as to what was wrong with it.

I haven't used either but I will use one eventually when I need a squeeze, leaning towards RayA right now because ive heard a complaint or two about osrocket oversqueezing sleeves.

got a pretty detailed reply back on RayA saying they strictly don't and you can also like tell them "how much" you want it squeezed and you can have some say in that respect.

but most osrocket customers ive talked to have been v. happy too....

has anyone actually tried both and have a preference? reasons?

thanks

roostartial 07-13-2004 03:26 AM

rayA- no doubt!!

RayARacing thread

tana 07-13-2004 04:57 AM

very happy customers

Many many happy customers. Better yet is he will sell the tooling so if you have a club, local raceway or hobby shop it may be worth the investment to do it yourself.

jscamry 07-13-2004 10:03 AM

what problems had you all had with OsROCKET's service? I have had about 3 p/s done and there is has not been any problem with thim. Just the only thig is just that when i try to break in the sleeve, its really tight but that is just part of the fun.

Jason

cdelong 07-13-2004 10:17 AM

let me explain my experiences with both:

osrocket- in my opinion... too tight of a resize. It wears on the starter box and wears on the sleeve before you even get it running- not to mention the rod.... the poor rod takes abuse here. I had a resize from him and this was just my experience. lost seal rather quickly. this is just my opinion.

rayAracing- in my opinion... best resize for the money. ray is aware of the importance of a seal in the port area and at TDC, and this in my opinion is what makes him superior in his field. if you don't seal the port area- don't bother resizing. pinch at TDC only will gain marginal life and performance. ray is aware and seals (resizes) both areas. his resize will not kill your starter box or your wallet (rod life). heat relieving is also perfromed to relax the metals after resizing. grain flow of the metals is important in these little buggers!!

for my hard earned dollar RayA wins the job every time!! Ray A is also near the top of the points chart at our local track and we trade paint weekly, so I know his stuff performs well!!

Corey DeLong

InitialD 07-13-2004 08:58 PM

Originally posted by cdelong
if you don't seal the port area- don't bother resizing. pinch at TDC only will gain marginal life and performance. ray is aware and seals (resizes) both areas.
How do you mean sealing the port area?:confused:

cdelong 07-14-2004 02:46 AM

when an engine is "overheated" and loses pinch, it not only loses pinch at TDC but also in the port area. Ray A also returns the seal in the port area by pinching there also- not just TDC.

Here is my little test- remove your engine from the car and give it a good cleaning. Hold it with the exhaust port facing up, the piston covering the exhaust port, and place about 3-4 drops of marvel mystery oil right in the exhaust port so it is laying on the piston. Now slowly rotate the engine through it cycle, carefully observing the edges of the port area. If your engine is sealed well, you will not observe bubbles as the piston passes the port. If the engine has lost seal, you will see bubbles form as the piston passes the exhaust port area. You can really gauge the seal on your engine weekly if you do this. A new engine will not bubble at all as the piston passes. As it wears, the piston will travrel closer to TDC before bubbling stops. When it bubbles the entire length of the stroke- send her in for resizing, but most likely you will have already noticed symptoms of this in the tune.

You should really email RayA for a detailed overview of his process.

Corey