R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Questions?? .12 engine for $100 to $200?

Is there any decent .12 engine I can buy from $100 to $200? I'm in a tight budget, i do race on a short and long tracks?
Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Last weekend I helped someone testing a Novarossi N12T1 and I must say it is a big bang for that price but it is not competive with the high end engines although it differs not that much.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Last weekend I helped someone testing a Novarossi N12T1 and I must say it is a big bang for that price but it is not competive with the high end engines although it differs not that much.
i have one of those, its great for a beginner motor as it holds a tune however one of the better guys at the track was trying to tune it for me and said it just lacked the punch of the more expensive ones, and i'm about 5km/h slower than the faster guys down our main straight according to mylaps printouts

but its only 135 dollars plus 6 dollars for shipping off ebay.
kai888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

RB TOURING JUNIOR 10 great motor run's really well and holds its own on short track on long track not so well
td-civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:26 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by td-civ View Post
RB TOURING JUNIOR 10 great motor run's really well and holds its own on short track on long track not so well
+1 for that.
If you're looking for a good engine, you're going to have to spend the extra cash for something good. If it was only on a short track where 2nd gearing isnt getting close to topping out, then the N12 would still be good.
But since you also race on a track that is larger, then you definitely should get a good engine. You can't beat the price of the RB T10 package - plenty of power and cheap-ish as well.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default You staying to race in TC or just passing by the class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear View Post
+1 for that.
If you're looking for a good engine, you're going to have to spend the extra cash for something good. If it was only on a short track where 2nd gearing isnt getting close to topping out, then the N12 would still be good.
But since you also race on a track that is larger, then you definitely should get a good engine. You can't beat the price of the RB T10 package - plenty of power and cheap-ish as well.
Wouldnt buy second hand and when buying new, only consider Italian or Japanese metallurgy. The art and skill of combining several metal types under heat and expansion is where it's all at, then it's precision engineering.

Ultimately with budget engines, they should last long enough for you to save up for the Race "DONK" and take good care of it, GRP bundles are great value, but if you're going to lean them up to chase the Novas and RB's then you'll wear thru it really quickly and you'll be up for more $$.

OS perhaps?? Not too lean, not too rich!! Care for it and it'll run for ages.

Then buy the best RB or NR you can get your hands on!
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Picco JLR .12's. Lots of go for very little dough.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:54 AM   #8
Tech Addict

I wouldnt get the JLR .12, they just won't last. I had 2 JLRs, both blew rods very early and the P/S never lasted more than 6 months. 2 engines, can't be a coincidence, though the rod metal was very poor. I would either get an RB Junior, Nova N12, or a GRP bundle if you don't race with the pros. Think of this:
Cheap engine = not cheap in the long run + not that powerful.
Good engine = 300-400 at least + pipeset.
Kick-ass engine = good driving and setup! + knowledge of tuning and chassis adjustments.

You can come first with an RTR engine as long as your car is setup correctly and you are consistant.
If you spend too much money on engines and still don't win, you will always be last.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

*sigh* I miss my Ninja. Tuned right, that motor had wings that would shock you. Initial pinch was hard on rods, to be sure. If you can spring for a combo pack and have some patience, you'll be all right
Old 12-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

http://rcmarket.com.hk/advanced_sear...tsmk6ed0o87fr7

N12T1 $120 only ! Free Shipping !!

Last edited by RC MARKET; 12-13-2010 at 01:37 AM.
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote