R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-14-2004, 07:26 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to uDi_MP7.5
Default Glow plug coil pushed in... what am I doing wrong?

Okay this is what i'm running:

JP Pro99 Buggy (based on nova RX21-SP)
Novarossi C6-S plug
NovaRC aftermarket cooling head
1x0.2mm shim (silver), 1x0.1mm shim (brass)
[^^ i *think*, haven't got callipers to check]
Fuel: 18%nitro/7%synth/7%castor

I bought it second hand, still like new for the most part - seemed in excellent cond. in and out. I chucked a fresh C6S plug in and the first day at the track (few days ago) it ran totally awesome, had a big grin on my face on the way home. I had run maybe 2-3 tanks through it before that also and it was running great the whole time.

Once home I opened it up just to see how things were going... Everything looked right, and then I saw the plug, the coil was pushed in. Still glowed nice and bright when I checked it, but yeah the coil had been pushed in, about 1.5 maybe 2mm even.

What would have caused this, or what am I doing wrong?

I took one 0.1mm shim out when I got it since I thought there was too much for the moderate nitro I was running, so that brought it from 0.4mm down to 0.3mm. I'm not 100% sure i've got the thicknesses right, but there was one thick silver shim and two thinner copper or brass shims, and I took out one of the thin ones.

Is that my problem? Can't understand why I need that many shims... guys running nova 21's want to post what shims they are running vs nitro content?

Any other options? try a different plug? colder plug? different fuel mix? (i get a place to custom blend) any reccomendations would be great.

-Udi
uDi_MP7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Udi,
Have you tried to ask the same question on the sgrid. There you might have better luck...

Did you try running the eng with all the shims in just the way it came. Remember JP engs are modded and it might have a higher compression ratio compared to the same line of stock Novarossi eng.
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to uDi_MP7.5

im signed up on sgrid but very rarely go there, hate the board layouts...

i havent tried with the stock shims, but i was expecting it to run nicely with one very thin one removed, since im sure its shimmed to run 30%, im on 18...

i had one thought today though, when i was tightening the flywheel on, i filled the engine with fuel on top of the piston to lock it up, and then tightened...

i actually did that twice or so i think, and never looked at the plug (never occured to me then)

but do you think that may have caused the glowplug coil to push in? i mean before it ever even ran? because i never did look at the plug after doing that so it mine have been like that all along!
uDi_MP7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:05 PM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike D
Default Re: Glow plug coil pushed in... what am I doing wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by uDi_MP7.5
Okay this is what i'm running:

JP Pro99 Buggy (based on nova RX21-SP)
Novarossi C6-S plug
NovaRC aftermarket cooling head
1x0.2mm shim (silver), 1x0.1mm shim (brass)
[^^ i *think*, haven't got callipers to check]
Fuel: 18%nitro/7%synth/7%castor

I bought it second hand, still like new for the most part - seemed in excellent cond. in and out. I chucked a fresh C6S plug in and the first day at the track (few days ago) it ran totally awesome, had a big grin on my face on the way home. I had run maybe 2-3 tanks through it before that also and it was running great the whole time.

Once home I opened it up just to see how things were going... Everything looked right, and then I saw the plug, the coil was pushed in. Still glowed nice and bright when I checked it, but yeah the coil had been pushed in, about 1.5 maybe 2mm even.

What would have caused this, or what am I doing wrong?

I took one 0.1mm shim out when I got it since I thought there was too much for the moderate nitro I was running, so that brought it from 0.4mm down to 0.3mm. I'm not 100% sure i've got the thicknesses right, but there was one thick silver shim and two thinner copper or brass shims, and I took out one of the thin ones.

Is that my problem? Can't understand why I need that many shims... guys running nova 21's want to post what shims they are running vs nitro content?

Any other options? try a different plug? colder plug? different fuel mix? (i get a place to custom blend) any reccomendations would be great.

-Udi
When the coil is pressed in you have too much compression. Add shims (not sure how many) or reduce the nitro % with the current number shims.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote