R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-22-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default X12 Rody Sleeve/Piston friction question!?

Hi guys,

I just bought a brand new (supposed) X12 Rody from someone who bought it at the end of the last year season without using it at all. So I got it brand new in the box.

There is one thing weird though. I would appreciate if you can help me on this.

I thought that the compression was pretty tough, since it was very difficult to turn the fly wheel with my finger.

So this morning I put the car on an OFNA starter box, and the box wasn't strong enough to turn the flywheel.

So after looking around I remove the sparkplug to be able to turn the flywheel freely. I was amazed to see that the same friction occurs even with no sparkplug.

So briefly, is it normal that a piston move freely in a sleeve but has a lot of friction when it come at the top of the sleeve? (even with the sparkplug out).

If yes, I wonder how I will start that engine since my box is not even able to turn it without the plug
Frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 03:04 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

This is normal. It is called Pinch. Since these engines do not use rings, they have to use a taper at the top of the sleeve to production compression with the piston. When an engine is new, it is always very, very tight. It will loosen up once broken in.

Make sure to charge up your batteries for your starter box. Also, make sure to use some type of break-in procedure before all out racing with this engine.

good luck.
rodneybarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

it is a glow plug and it is good if it is tight put some afterrun oil in the engine and turn it over by hand make shure the box is fully charged and you may have to losen the plug wile you are trying to start it after it is runing you can snug the plug again.
ilaybrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 03:13 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Maybe you should do a search on motor break in. This must be your first nitro motor and you have to break in these motors correctly or you will not be happy with the results. There are a lot of good tips in these threads that will help you.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 04:02 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Heat up the head with a hair dryer and get it pretty warm. This will expand everything and make it easier to start the first couple of times till it loosens up a little.

After running it a couple of times be sure to check the tightness of the head screws. I had several RBs and they don't tend to come too tight from the factory. Great motors!
DMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by DMACK
Heat up the head with a hair dryer and get it pretty warm. This will expand everything and make it easier to start the first couple of times till it loosens up a little.

After running it a couple of times be sure to check the tightness of the head screws. I had several RBs and they don't tend to come too tight from the factory. Great motors!
DMACK,

I tried the hair dryer! I raised it up to 200 with it and put it on the startter box. Started like a charm!

I guess I will have to do it a couple of times. As long as I don't have to bring the hair dryer at the race

Thanks Guys!
Frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 08:21 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What I usually do if the piston/sleeve is too tight, i'll stick some marvals mystery oil in the chamber and turn over my motor on the started box without the glowplug attached. Run it for about a minute or two. Put the glowplug back on, and try to fire her up.

Here's another method that I learned from Eric Vasutin ( Werx team manager ). Assemble the clutch assembly onto the new engine. Take afew drops of after-run oil and place it into the chamber. Take your engine in your hand and turn over the flywheel by hand. Crank it counter clockwise cause this is the way the flywheel turns when you start it. I will usually do this step first if it's a race motor ( JP modify X12's or .21 R-01 and 02 ). I'll do this when i'm at work sitting at my desk or when im watching tv. I get about 500-1000 revolutions before I try firing her up. Since your in San Jose, I can help you out. P.M. me if you have any questions.

Last edited by Roger; 05-23-2004 at 02:06 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 01:24 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mckrooz

I think you meant counter-clockwise.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:06 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by mckrooz
I think you meant counter-clockwise.
Thx for correcting me. Edit above.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Default pinch

frag,
motors are not supposed to be tight like that..... i will buy it from you for 50.00 bucks

(just kidding)
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote