Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Picco TORQUE versus Novarossi topic >

Picco TORQUE versus Novarossi topic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picco TORQUE versus Novarossi topic

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Picco TORQUE versus Novarossi topic

I know that there's a topic about the two different engines thus far but I am in awe of what a top engine modifier has told me about the Picco Torque engines being ALOT stronger than the Novarossi 35 Plus 21 AND the Kangaroo engines with every engine modified. Well, needless to say I now own a brand new Picco EDO/MMM modified TORQUE .21 to compare against an arsenal of Kangaroo engines that I already have. These kangaroos have been very quick and fast and even set both ends of the IMDRA ET and Speed records so the Picco has some work to do. I am mostly interested in the ballistic bottom end and mid-range HP/TQ that everybody is ranting and raving about from the Picco. Still in the break-in process so far and it already impresses just with the ease of starting, responding to the needles easily and is already almost broken in soooooo much easier than a Novarossi engine thus far.

What I'd like to know is from other Novarossi engine owners that also now have the Picco TQ engines, what are your honest experiences between the two engines as far as powerwise, speed, lap times, top end speeds or whatever gauge you can give? This goes for the Picco TQ .12 engine owners as well. So far the general concensus is that I just may be selling a whole lot of Kangaroos and switching out to Picco TORQUE motors.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i heard the same, that Piccos have great torque. I am curious to know exactly why this is? Is it a case of different timming, or is it something else?, for example the construction of the sleeve material or design? i always noticed that the Piccos have a thicker top ring section on the sleeve, i wonder if this is part of the extra torque. ie the sleeve doesn't expand as much at peak temps so the compression is higher and therefore the torque is better?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:28 AM
Tech Lord

Crankshaft opening and intake are different (much larger) than Novarossi.

See the many Novarossi models and the one Picco:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/tooms/timings/timings.jpg
Old 10-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roelof
Crankshaft opening and intake are different (much larger) than Novarossi.
This is one of the much noticable things that I saw off the bat as well. I sure hope it does everything that people have been saying it does so far. I like to try new engines and be a little different at times.

Roelof, you have one of the TQ .21's right? What have you noticed performance wise between the Picco and Novarossi's? Good....Bad....the same.....can't tell?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

The torque of the new picco is absolutely insane. the only thing I observed the driver had to blip the throttle about 2/3's down the back straight because the engine ran out of legs. It could have been geared wrong.

I use to run picco's but I had a hard time sourcing plugs for piccos. Will the new piccos except a nova style plug?

Pass you soon...

Last edited by lil-bump; 10-29-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Lord

No, I do not have one, I fixed one for someone so I could messure some things up.

In the Dutch nationals the Torque engines are fast. Steven Cuypers running a Picco powered MRX5 can outperform RickV with a Flash powered MRX5. Ilia van Gastel was also very fast running a Mega, although the Mega is still with the DS4 it would not suprise me if he was running a Torque setup.

On the other hand there was one guy who could not get the engines right and had excanged them again for Novarossi. I know a lot of things were tryed. As he did bought 3 of them at the same time I asume there could be a bad production serie as well.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I would not advise Nova plugs. Picco plugs aren't too hard to find but even better are IDM and Sirio plugs. Jerry at Shepherd America/XS Power should have the IDMs.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

well, I was wondering about the plugs myself and really like the O'Donnell 77T plug. I hope that this plug will not hurt the head though.

Roelof, I understand. Heck there's plenty of people that have the 35 plus's and Kangaroos and still can't get them to run right so I guess it's a catch 22. Well, I'll see how this engine runs on my next drag race outting and hopefully with the more aggressive timing in this motor, it will make more HP all the way thru to the other end.

Wingracers, you got one?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

I use the O donnel 77t's and 97t's. I like the Odonnel plugs better than The nova plugs better price and last longer.

Pass you soon...
Old 10-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Lord

ODs work but IDM or Sirio are crisper, easier to tune and last MUCH longer.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by wingracer
ODs work but IDM or Sirio are crisper, easier to tune and last MUCH longer.
What are IDM's and where can you get them? When you say crispier, is that just on the bottom end snap or does the plug supply a little more HP throughout the entire RPM range? What are IDM part numbers in relations to a 77T plug?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

I always thought the OD plugs where more for nova based engines and the IDM and Sirio plugs were picco based
Old 10-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by lil-bump
I always thought the OD plugs where more for nova based engines and the IDM and Sirio plugs were picco based
Actually IDM and Sirio plugs are made by LM, the same company that makes Sirio, Werks, Orion, Invision, etc. engines. IMO, they are the best plugs on the market today, period. Though they are not made for Piccos, they work perfectly in them. That's why IDM engines are Picco based but the plugs are LM. As I said earlier, the IDM versions should be available from Jerry at Shepherd America/XS power, he is the IDM importer.

An od 77t is a hot offroad plug so you could probably use something like a Werks or Orion 5 or 6, readily available from Amain and many other places. I think even Ashford may have them now.

His website is still a little thin but you can email him.
[email protected]
Old 10-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

On hot humid days I use the OD 77t's. My normal plug is the OD 97t's. I only run 16% nitro in 200mm sedan.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Lord

We use Merlin plugs: http://merlinglowplugs.com/

Good plugs@

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.