Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS .12tr break-in

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Tech Addict

Default OS .12tr break-in

The OS manual is somewhat vague but reccomends the old school version of break-in, first idling and then running it for 10 tanks on very rich setting. Id rather use the newer style no idle method and I would just like someone to verify that the method that I plan on using is ok. I used a similar method to break in my sirio.

tank 1: Run the car around at about 25% throttle gradually slowing down and speeding up again. Then stop the engine after it reaches 200F. Lean the HSN a little if nessecary to get it up to 200F. Then let it cool off completly and do the same thing again, stopping it before the fuel gets very low in order to prevent it from leaning out. This should consume about a tank.

tank 2: Same as tank 1 expect 35% throttle, in other words a little faster.

tank 3: Run a full tank maintaing a temperature close to 200F and stop it before the fuel gets too low. About 35-40% throttle, gradually increasing and decreasing speed.

tank 4-7: Same as tank 3 except increasing speed with each tank.

tank 8: Gradually rise up to full throttle and almost Immediately bring it back down gradually and run it around slowly transitioning in speeds.

tank 9: Hold full throttle for a second or two and continue driving it moving through the entire power band.

tank 10: Take it easy, but begin to be a bit harder on it.

After tank 10 run it under normal conditions.

I know questions like this have been posted before, but no matter how many engines I break in, break-in always makes me nervous.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: Just thought I should mention the engine is ruturned to BDC after each tank and completely cooled off before the next tank.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I breaked in my OS 12 TR similar to what you suggested and it lasted for 2 club racing seasons or 4+ gallon and i'm about to run it for the 3 season. It still have good compression and engine start with ease. your milage might be different.

On my first tank I let it idle 1/3 tank and then start to run with 25% throttle for 2 min and let it cool down. Gradulatlly leaning the needle on each cycle to maintance/reach 200F. On my 2nd tank i'll keep it 25% throttle run for another 1/2 tank then move on to 35% throttle. On my 5th or 6th tank i'm already "racing" with the engine but didn't go full throttle more than 2 second.