R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 08-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #256
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Maybe your engine wasn't up to temp before you tuned it....I know mine always seems really rich until it gets up to temp.

I warm mine in the pits then like to run it for at least 3 min hard on the track before tuning.

They seem to like this, also, check that the top end screw isn't loose in the housing - you may need a new O ring there.

What pipe are you using? - these would have to be the most pipe sensitive engines I've ever run, I'd suggest trying to get your hands on the new LRP 2644 pipe.

I had a lot of tuning issues using different pipes until I put this one on.
Sp Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #257
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Looks like you have an airleak. I would get some copper seal and seal the base of the carb and check how the sinch bolts grab the carb. And I agree you can not tune this engine until it is fully up to temp. Also you said that engine stalls if you tap the boards. I believe your clutch is binding. this also will contributed to your tuning issues. MY spec 3 runs great. I ran the GLC in Toledo. I ran at least a gallon of 30% fuel thru the engine and it ran beautiful the whole week. It came off the track at 266 degrees but that was with the tank bone dry at the end of the qualifier. It never stalled or flamed out. The temps early in the week were between 90-95 with tons of humidity. trust go over the engine with a fine tooth comb if you need post here or go to your local hobby store.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:23 PM   #258
Tech Adept

Hi,

I was about to use : Permatex Ultra copper - sensor safe high temp gasket.

do you think i can use this on the o-rings until i get my new o-rings?

For the pipe, i have a SIR Pipe on there now. I also tried it with my rdlogics turbo 2. Where did you get the LRP 2644?
charlesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #259
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to fishstix
Default Pull start changed to drill start.

I have the LRP spec3. I bought the pull start version. After several blisters from yanking on it I decided to try convert it to a drill start. I have a Firestorm 18v(I used the fastest speed setting on drill). I tried to start it with it and I didn't even get a sound(New plug installed). How fast does the drill have to spin?
fishstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #260
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
I have the LRP spec3. I bought the pull start version. After several blisters from yanking on it I decided to try convert it to a drill start. I have a Firestorm 18v(I used the fastest speed setting on drill). I tried to start it with it and I didn't even get a sound(New plug installed). How fast does the drill have to spin?
If it is a new engine that you are breaking-in, the factory settings on the HSN and LSN are overly rich. I was able to go in on the HSN 1 turn to get it started and still have fuel blowing out of the exhaust.
I couldn't get it mine started using a starter box with the factory settings.
Hope that helps.
LJae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #261
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to fishstix

I'm on 4th tank and started to adjust the needles. I tried to start it with my corded dewalt and I could not get a sound still. I'm going to check to make sure it is on correctly but I thought I followed the directions.
fishstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #262
Tech Adept

Anyone have the lrp 39292 rear bearing measurements?

thanks
Old 09-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #263
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesd View Post

thanks
What engine is this for?
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #264
Tech Adept

LrP z12r race spec 2. Model #31251.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #265
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesd View Post

thanks
12mm x 21mm x 4mm is the sixe of the rear bearing
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:06 AM   #266
Tech Initiate

Default LRP z.12R Spec 4

Hello to all!
I'm relatively new to the nitro scene and yesterday i've tested a LRP z.12R Spec 4 in a race. All i have to say is " WELL DONE LRP" . Very nice engine for the price.
During all day the engine was really great. I am using it with a Nova-Mega 2171 EFRA TP-06 Pipe and header, #8 LRP Turbo plug (nr 35180),16% Merlin Fuel in a Serpent 720 '07 with 17/59 and 23/57 pinion and spur.
The only thing i've noticed was in the afternoon, with a slighty Cold weather, the engine starts to hava a little BOG in LOW/Middle RPM. I've opened the main needle almost 1 Turn and voila. Runing great again but without so much HIGH RPM than before...
My question is : Is this engine, or all this small .12 engine so sensitive to weather change or is something in my "COMBO" that is not working well, maybe the Glow PLUG???

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers and have FUN!!!

Ricardo
SchuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #267
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuM View Post
Hello to all!
I'm relatively new to the nitro scene and yesterday i've tested a LRP z.12R Spec 4 in a race. All i have to say is " WELL DONE LRP" . Very nice engine for the price.
During all day the engine was really great. I am using it with a Nova-Mega 2171 EFRA TP-06 Pipe and header, #8 LRP Turbo plug (nr 35180),16% Merlin Fuel in a Serpent 720 '07 with 17/59 and 23/57 pinion and spur.
The only thing i've noticed was in the afternoon, with a slighty Cold weather, the engine starts to hava a little BOG in LOW/Middle RPM. I've opened the main needle almost 1 Turn and voila. Runing great again but without so much HIGH RPM than before...
My question is : Is this engine, or all this small .12 engine so sensitive to weather change or is something in my "COMBO" that is not working well, maybe the Glow PLUG???

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers and have FUN!!!

Ricardo
When a Picco based engine like the LRP starts bogging, you need to richen the bottom, not the top. This way she'll pull and you won't loose top end. This is a bit different than with Nova based engines.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #268
Tech Regular

Default Picco tuning

On every new race day I automatically richen the top needle by two hours as well as the bottom needle by two hours. I will run the car at least three minutes before tuning anything. I want the motor to really warm up and saturate the chassis with heat as well. I then tune for top end first with the hsn. I go one hour leaner at a time until I believe the engine has reached a top end that I'm happy with. I will bring the car into the pits every lap or two during this leaning process. I'm listening for two things. 1) i want the car to idle down immediately to a slow steady idle. It should idle down to a normal idle within afew seconds of coming into the pits. 2) I want to make sure that the engine is not lean pinging. Once I'm happy with the top end......and the car comes into the pits and idles down to a normal idle within afew seconds the tune is getting close. Please note through this whole process I want to see five to ten feet of smoke exiting the corners.

If I'm happy with the top end......and the bottom end seems a little fat...... I will lean an hour and repeat the above process.....and make sure that the engine idles down right away when bringing it into the pits. If my engine has great botttom end.............and is not sluggish..........I leave the LSN alone.

If your finding that after you run your car hard for three or four minutes and you experience a lean bog...........BUT.....it idles normally when just sitting there RICHEN THE BOTTOM end. Keep richening the bottom end and going on back on the track until the lean bog stops. If you richen the top end.......and performance drops off...........you've leaned the wrong needle.

The pipe I run is the Mega Picco 2607. I've run other pipes, but the motor was more touchy to tune and didn't put out the ponies like the 2607. In fact some of the other pipes I've tried .....I had more of a problem with a lean bog.

The other problem that the picco may have is a leaking LSN needle. Check the orings on the needle. If they are frayed or torn in anyway they must be replaced.

Some guys are not happy with the speed of the motor. That unhappiness goes away with the right pipe......proper tuning..........clutch......... and GEARING THE MOTOR UP... MY picco was good with nova type gearing.... and awesome with going up a pinion on 1st and 2nd gear.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #269
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
i've tested a LRP z.12R Spec 4 in a race. All i have to say is " WELL DONE LRP"

I have to agree, I ran my LRP z12R Spec4 for the first time this weekend - it's good to see that the things that annoyed us about the spec 2 and spec 3 seem to have been addressed.

My spec4 ran like a champ, never lean bogged, plenty of power.

I used the LRP 2644 pipe with the LRP #8 glow plug, however the engine seems to like the OS P8 plug better.

And the sound of this engine is different again to what the spec3 sounded like !

Well done guys!
Sp Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:58 PM   #270
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
When a Picco based engine like the LRP starts bogging, you need to richen the bottom, not the top. This way she'll pull and you won't loose top end. This is a bit different than with Nova based engines.
I will try next time since i was in a middle of a semi , fastest solution

Thanks RayJ for the explanation
I wiil look for the LSN oring becouse since the first day i have noticed that it has a leak in the carburator area... just dont lnow where it came from... Ive tried a zipp in the air filter but it still leaks..
About the speed... more than enough for me

SP RAcer : The pipe you talk (LRP 2644) is this the new pipe?? I bought one to but the pipe comes with the same diameter than the header something really wrong there . I'm assuming that you dont have had this problem do you?
SchuM is offline   Reply With Quote