R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 11-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak
Default Basic Sport Competition | N21-7T - Tunning + Temps Issues

Hey Guys,

Yesterday finally got to break in engine after running about 1litre (0.22Galons of fuel) the engine temps always crept up to 260F (135C) Air temps on the day Hot 37 degrees

Plug Nova TURBO -C6TF
Exhaust Pipe: Novarossi EFRA 2052 Inline Pipe For .21
Novarossi .21 Onroad Non Conical Manifold Med

Nitro X Fuel 25%

The problem i think might be engine is still tight, once warm i can turn it over with pinch but soon as you want to lean it out those temps get raised up to the 260F

But when you run it rich it just doenst like it or struggles to run...
Overall i have done about 6-7 tanks

What are your tips on the Nova Break-Ins and tunning, is there a fine line with the Nova's and as the engine gets more warn in the engine temps will come down and then the leaning can occurr with out over rates temps.

Cheers
Frankie
Old 11-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
occ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

With 37 Degree air temp, I would put a C7TF plug in and run it again. This should cool it down a bit.
occ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You should run at least a minimum of 2 liters through the new engine before trying to lean out the high speed needle, I would suggest adding a 0.20mm shim (to lower down the compression) during the break in process, just have a lot of patience when breaking in a new engine, the end result will be rewarding.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
You should run at least a minimum of 2 liters through the new engine before trying to lean out the high speed needle, I would suggest adding a 0.20mm shim (to lower down the compression) during the break in process, just have a lot of patience when breaking in a new engine, the end result will be rewarding.
Cheers Bro..... yeah i think she is still too NEW and needs more fuel luv!

All good man, bought me some C7 plugs just to keep the temps a tab lower and will attack some more tanks in the sucker!
Old 11-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

And you can add an extra headshim of 0.1mm, sometimes new engines have not the correct head clearance.
With a to tight head clearance finding a right setting is very critical.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Just bought a JP .21 P7L - now since my Nova doesnt have the top end as i thought it might, i have placed the modified crank of the JP into the Nova for testing....

Engines are very similar, porting however on the sleeve on the JP is rather a bit more on the exhuats side and the tear drops are greater!

Carby onthe JP is tab differant with no rear adjustments, but wiith a single 8.5 Venturi

If the crank creates more top end i shall modify the Nova crank to suit - Will report back on the results
Old 12-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
occ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You should have bought a 35 Plus 21 to start with.
occ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by occ View Post
You should have bought a 35 Plus 21 to start with.
this i know - but owell cant let a engine go to waste since it was only $245USD - as a clubby engine i think we can get it going to a reasnoable speed!

Friend of mines has the JP engine which was only $100USD more and its a bit of a rocket for a 7port!

Thou what do you suggest for a 9 port future engine?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak View Post
Just bought a JP .21 P7L - now since my Nova doesnt have the top end as i thought it might, i have placed the modified crank of the JP into the Nova for testing....

Engines are very similar, porting however on the sleeve on the JP is rather a bit more on the exhuats side and the tear drops are greater!

Carby onthe JP is tab differant with no rear adjustments, but wiith a single 8.5 Venturi

If the crank creates more top end i shall modify the Nova crank to suit - Will report back on the results
did you tried the jp crank in there?
GREGORY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:32 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORY! View Post
did you tried the jp crank in there?
its in but not tested on track i may test this Sunday - so soon as i get a chance to test, i ll report back with feed back guys!

I'll keep you all posted!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Kodak Hodak I have recently been running the JP .21P-7L. Awesome motor for the price ($400-450 AUS). Get yourself the jp 2031 pipe with 5 fins conical header, this motor loves it. Took a little while to run in (approx 7 tanks), yeah I know the way I run them in is aggressive. The motor had enough power to put me in 11th place at this year's qld titles and in the top 3 or our club champs. Dude if I can help with anything, just drop me a pm.

Cheers
Graeme C
Runnertime
Hudy
finchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Thou what do you suggest for a 9 port future engine?
Just forget the idea that more ports is faster.

The 2052 pipe should work on that engine but sometimes another pipe is neede to make an engine comming to life.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchy View Post
Kodak Hodak I have recently been running the JP .21P-7L. Awesome motor for the price ($400-450 AUS). Get yourself the jp 2031 pipe with 5 fins conical header, this motor loves it. Took a little while to run in (approx 7 tanks), yeah I know the way I run them in is aggressive. The motor had enough power to put me in 11th place at this year's qld titles and in the top 3 or our club champs. Dude if I can help with anything, just drop me a pm.

Cheers
Graeme C
Hey Graeme, Gday from South Australia mate - today i tested the Nova N21-7T with the JP21p-7L CRANK! WOW it gave the engine a ne wlife, more top end and exciting bottom end.

The only change i made was the crank from the JP into the Nova and a 6FIN Conical Manifold.

Finally the car got the top end it needed, but even added some more bottom end power - VERY HAPPY for a test result.

I got a video of the car on track, the video is a bit shakey since my partner was filming, but you can see it on the track, Oh yeah the setup on the car was rather poor since my mind was focus on top end, and really didnt get a chance to play with car setup!

Still fighting for some off power steering on the P81!

But overal the engine is sorted, so now i can take the crank out and modify the nova crank to suit.

BTW - anyone know where you can buy JP cranks? or buying a nova crank will be an alternative!

Cheers
Frank - PS will get the video uploaded later tonight
Old 12-06-2009, 05:24 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default interesting...

Quote:
Hey Graeme, Gday from South Australia mate - today i tested the Nova N21-7T with the JP21p-7L CRANK! WOW it gave the engine a ne wlife, more top end and exciting bottom end.

The only change i made was the crank from the JP into the Nova and a 6FIN Conical Manifold.

Finally the car got the top end it needed, but even added some more bottom end power - VERY HAPPY for a test result.

I got a video of the car on track, the video is a bit shakey since my partner was filming, but you can see it on the track, Oh yeah the setup on the car was rather poor since my mind was focus on top end, and really didnt get a chance to play with car setup!

Still fighting for some off power steering on the P81!

But overal the engine is sorted, so now i can take the crank out and modify the nova crank to suit.

BTW - anyone know where you can buy JP cranks? or buying a nova crank will be an alternative!

Cheers
Frank - PS will get the video uploaded later tonight
Hi,
interested to know how you will modify the nova crank to the JP spec.
If possible can please share how,where and with pictures... i think most probably will be the JP crank timing.. thanks.

cheers
ck960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #15
Tech Elite

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

enjoy the video - testing was mainly on the engine, handling of car was not so great - but this will be the focus point next time back on track.

Also some photos of the differant cranks
Attached Thumbnails
Basic Sport Competition | N21-7T - Tunning + Temps Issues-img_0661.jpg   Basic Sport Competition | N21-7T - Tunning + Temps Issues-img_0665.jpg