R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 01-27-2004, 03:01 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default pull start slipping but then maybe not...

I have a OS .12 CV-RX.

The pull start seems to work fine while I'm holding it in my hands but when I install it in my T-Maxx, the pull start slips like the one-way bearing is bad.

I can take the engine back out and the pull start won't slip while I'm holding it. Have any of you seen this problem? I can't figure out why the pull start slips only while the engine is installed in my T-Maxx.

Thanks
The Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 03:06 AM   #2
Tech Master

Its most likely a bad bearing or possible that the coil spring is broke and only catching some of the time.

Pull-starts are notorious for this. I know its drastic measures but in my experience once a pull-start starts giving trouble it is better to replace it. It would probably be every bit as cheap replace the whole unit than getting a replacement bearing.

If you want to save a lot of hassle get a starter box. It will still start the engine even with a pullstarter on it. And it will start a lot easier.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:25 AM   #3
Tech Adept

A starter box will be easier, no doult about that, but it won't work on a T-Maxx There's no openning in the chassis for the flywheel.

Not only am I having problems with my OS engine, but my stock Traxas engine did the same thing. The Traxas's EZ Start would work when the engine was out of the truck but slipped when installed. I even replaced the one-way and still had the same problem.

I know this all sounds stupid,,, I was just hoping someone would say they have had the same problem.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:48 AM   #4
Tech Regular

2 motors same problem?Sounds strange. Have you tried contacting Traxxas about a warranty issue on the OG motor? Did the OS ever work right? I have had problems in the past with bad bearings and also the shaft that the oneway grabs can wear get smaller and cause a problem.I have had some success with using a heavier grease on a oneway to get it to grab quicker. Some small saltwater Fishing reels ... most now use oneways and the salt eats em up pretty quick.I had success there using blue grease on the onway to prolong the life but once they are worn replacement is soon around the corner. Try flushing the bearing with Nitro cleaner or other solvents(acetone/carb cleaner) get it really cleaned out then apply a fairly heavy grease to the one way it needs the friction to get the rollers going the other way to lock onto the shaft.Running in Dirt takes a quick toll on Bearing surfaces and dirt/sand gets into the the tightest places.I have an RC10GT RTR that the stock motor had the same problem.I went to an RBC12 and it never had a problem with the pull start.They have a totally differant set-up the oneway is internal with a bolt that fits in to seal it from contamination.I'm not suggesting go Buy a $200 motor to fix it but it doesn't seem to have the same flaws that other pullstarts that run in dirt have Not to mention that it will blow the doors off all the other pull start trucks around.Try what i mentioned it might help for awhile.
Fisher890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:01 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

Sleeper, sounds like the one way bearing, What happens is the back plate doesent seal very well so you get a little fuel that gets in that bearing, On thing you can do before you replace that bearing is to take it out use some motor spray & spray the output shaft on the motor & the bearing take some fine grit sand paper like 400 grit & scuff up the input shaft this should get you up and running.
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:04 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Smoke21

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sleeper
A starter box will be easier, no doult about that, but it won't work on a T-Maxx There's no openning in the chassis for the flywheel.
Borrow a Dremel (or use yours if you have one) and make one...
Smoke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 04:43 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

I dont think that will work, The chassis braces will be in the way
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 06:58 PM   #8
Bud
Tech Regular

check your motor mounts to see if they're level with each other and on the same plane. I don't know if it's possible to torque the block out of shape or not. (by tightening it down on uneven motor mounts.) Seems kinda wierd the problem only happens when the motor is in the truck and both motors do the same thing. post back and let us know if you figure out what the problem is.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:12 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

the one way bearing is about 20 buck us from towerhobbies
I have a os15cvhyper and it did the same thing so i converted it non pull start. all you need is a backing plate and a gasket and you will have to grind a little pin thats on the bottom of the rod.
you may have to change the engine mount aswell. while you are at it you may as well change the flywheel..
thanks
ScoopGrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:49 PM   #10
Bud
Tech Regular

Scoop, the T-Maxx won't work with a starter box.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:05 PM   #11
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

Mine does the same thing, .15FE with almost 2.5 gallons through it. It will cat some times but not others. Mine is wierd though because sometimes it just wont go back in. for some reason I can turn the shaft the way for it to real back in(like it is stuck on the shaft) and then if I pull it again it normally lets go. Very hard to explain.
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:34 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Sorry I haven't replied in a long while, I stopped checking this post a few weeks back

I never thought about the motor mounts not being level. I am using the stock T-Maxx mounts. It could be possible one side is lower than the other.

I was thinking the problem could be that the fuel was igniting. But, it was just enough not to start the engine but at the same time, just enough to make the bearing feel like is was slipping. Then when I take the engine out, the fuel line is disconnected of-course, and thus the bearing didn't slip.

I haven't tried to start my truck in 4-5 months now but when I do, I'm going to richen the low end needle and see if that helps. I say richen because I know I have it leaned out more than I should.

Will post my result.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:20 AM   #13
Tech Adept

I tried to start my T-Maxx yesterday and again the bearing slipped. So I tried to richen the low end needle. That didn't help (like I thought the problem could be that simple to fix).

I took the engine out of the truck. This time however, the bearing would slip somewhat when I pulled on the rope. I found the flywheel very loose so I tighten it back up. Still I could feel some slipping of the bearing. I proceded to remove the pull start and the bearing. Clean everything up. When I got the engine back together I could still feel the bearing slip. So I took the bearing back out again. This time I put some grease on it. (The only thing I had was some grease used to lubricate the chain on my garage door opener). This time the bearing didn't slip so I put the engine back into my truck.

I almost cried with joy when the truck immediately started on the first pull

All I got to worry about now is how long the chain lube will hold up...