Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ofna hyper .21 8port PS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Default Ofna hyper .21 8port PS

I was wondering if anyone has any comments on this engine.

I would like to get it for my NMT.

For those who know engines what do I do about the shaft being different than that on my stock .15FE?? Do I need to cut it down so it is the correct size?

What flywheel would be the best to use?? It would need to be small to amek the engine fit but I still dont know which flywheel is the best (2 post BTW)

any suggestions on engine mounts?

ONe last question, tower has this engine priced at around 170 yet yahoo's shopping thing has the engine at 120...am I missing something here?
Old 01-15-2004, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

It would be pretty cool to see an mt with a .21 engine. But you cant just bolt it in without alot of modifaction to chassis and engine mounts, throttle linkage etc. Go try out the Ops .15 its like $99.00 and has a ton more power than the stock fe motor.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

For simple power that bolts in, get an Epic .18 engine. It's a small-block, pullstart, rotary carb for $145 on Tower.

If you really want a big-block NMT, get the Wolfpack Radicals engine mounts and flywheel kit. It allows a big-block to be virtually a direct bolt-in. New Era also makes a big-block conversion kit, but the mounts aren't adjustable.

Go here (http://forums.rcinfo.co.uk/) for more info, there are a lot of NMT freaks on that board who've done just about everything you can to an NMT, including a twin 8-port NMT!
Old 01-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just set an O.S. RG-X on my NMT (which had the engine removed already) and I think a stock Savage engine mount and some creativity might allow it to work without specialized engine mounts or flywheels. The RG-X's pullstarter is too large, unfortunately, but a Hyper's pullstarter is quite a bit smaller than the RG-X's so I bet that'd work. I've got an 8-port in my Savage right now, I might pull that out to see if it'd work.

The only thing I can see that's in the way is the brake mechanism hits the carb slide. The carb can be rotated which might take care of it. Otherwise the brake can be moved to the front of the spur gear housing.

Of course driveline strength and overall chassis strength might become issues with such a strong engine, but that's the fun part, right?

I'll look into this some more...
Old 01-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Oh, and as far as prices for the 8-port, I got mine for $120 from NitroHouse, and Ultimate Hobbies has had them for that little as well. You definitely shouldn't have to pay $170 for one, they're not worth it!