R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 03-31-2005, 10:24 AM   #1471
Tech Adept

hi pe,
what for a induction timing have the khm cranck??
dieter
4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:23 PM   #1472
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
Has anyone tried using them with KHM crankshaft? I believe it has the most torque...
Yes I have. Have you compared it using the JP crank with a normal piston sleeve?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:46 PM   #1473
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Yes I have. Have you compared it using the JP crank with a normal piston sleeve?
Yes, but still on practice and have to wait for race meeting to get its optimum result and I'm afraid it will be pretty a while since I don't race too often The torque almost comparable to my JP with harder clutch setting and leaner LSN (same carburetor) while top end is about the same. Fuel mileage still not sure...

What I'm curious the most is this BRB P/S comes with conrod and almost all of them has a very little bit of play in the crank pin even when they're brand new. Do you also have this problem?

I give my one and only .21 BRB P/S which I bought from kitracer (Thanks Chris ) to one of our best buggy driver here and he promise he will test it on his JP FX21 B5 and give me some result.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:58 PM   #1474
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Yes I have.
How's the result?
Old 03-31-2005, 11:56 PM   #1475
Tech Prophet

Quote:
How's the result?
KHM is with my 1st gen piston sleeve. It's my fastest engine yet at the moment. I'm still breaking in my new 2nd gen set. Used that combo in Thailand and was very satisfied with the overall performance and fuel comsumption. But you're right about the torque. Using modified flyweights and hard spring, the thing launches very hard out of the corners.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:59 PM   #1476
Tech Prophet

Quote:
What I'm curious the most is this BRB P/S comes with conrod and almost all of them has a very little bit of play in the crank pin even when they're brand new. Do you also have this problem?
No, I don't. Maybe the crankpin on the crankshaft has already worned out? On my older Max crankshaft, this is the problem. Too old.

Quote:
I give my one and only .21 BRB P/S which I bought from kitracer (Thanks Chris ) to one of our best buggy driver here and he promise he will test it on his JP FX21 B5 and give me some result.
Is your buggy driver trying to run his buggy on onroad tracks?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:55 AM   #1477
Tech Master

Quote:

I found the same but thought it was the crank worn out. Whats the size and tolerance of the big end hole?

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:16 AM   #1478
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

I will answer on this question.
When we are making hole for bottom end of conrod, we are assuming that cranck pin is in good condition, so according to this we are putting some tolerance. If we will make hole with assumption that pin worn out, it will be too tight on good condition pin. Please check condion for your pin-may be it is worn out already over the limit-some times it happened even after 2-3 gallons on new engines. There can be numerouse numbers of reason-low quality fuel, too low content of lubricant, manufaturing mistake on heat treating of cranck etc.
Unfortunately we can't make conrod's holes for worn out pins, so we are making for good/fair conditions
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:28 AM   #1479
Tech Adept

Crank pin.....

I have been running a 1st gen BRB set for a long while now.....the crankpin on the crankshaft have worn away and that the flywheel will rock back and forth at TDC. Initially, i thought it was the conrod brushing, coz i did not get any play when the brb set was new, but it turn out 2 b the crank pin !!! Replaced the crankshaft from the back up motor......

Cya

philip
xtreme888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #1480
Regional Moderator

Quote:
No, I don't. Maybe the crankpin on the crankshaft has already worned out? On my older Max crankshaft, this is the problem. Too old.
They're brand new (the conrod and also the crankshaft).
I tried with JP crank and NSR crank. But the .21 is nicely fit.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:33 AM   #1481
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by xtreme888
Crank pin.....

I have been running a 1st gen BRB set for a long while now.....the crankpin on the crankshaft have worn away and that the flywheel will rock back and forth at TDC. Initially, i thought it was the conrod brushing, coz i did not get any play when the brb set was new, but it turn out 2 b the crank pin !!! Replaced the crankshaft from the back up motor......

Cya

philip
The bronze we use for bushings on conrods is realy good and very expencive. This is why conrod doesn't need to change very often and normaly should last as set itself. I had one conrod last 2 pistons and I am using only O'Donnell fuel. It has the best lubricants package.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:38 AM   #1482
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
They're brand new (the conrod and also the crankshaft).
I tried with JP crank and NSR crank. But the .21 is nicely fit.
I measured many crankpins and found anything from 4.22 to 4.27 on new set. Check yours and see.

And if your engine is stable and fast, I wouldn't worry too much.

Time to lean your engine and tear the track
kitracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:30 AM   #1483
Tech Fanatic

Default head shims for BRB

For 12 BRB, I found the best starting point is with 0.5mm head shims. This is for 30% nitro, 5mm stinger and 5.4mm carb
Or 0.1 to 0.2mm more than Standard Nova set.

For 21 BRB, I found best starting point is 0.7mm head shim, for 8mm carb. If you use 9mm Carb, go for 0.8mm head shim.
kitracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:52 AM   #1484
Regional Moderator

I'm using 0.4mm clearance, X=1.3mm minus Y=1.2mm(underhead) plus 0.3mm shim with 20% nitro. Still can't get all the power out. Maybe they're still not fully broken in.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:17 AM   #1485
Tech Elite

Quote:
I'm using 0.4mm clearance, X=1.3mm minus Y=1.2mm(underhead) plus 0.3mm shim with 20% nitro. Still can't get all the power out. Maybe they're still not fully broken in.
Daniz. For 20% fuel I will sugest to use 0.3 mm shimming-0.4 is little bit to high.
What temp are running?
Edward