R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 08-05-2004, 06:17 AM   #901
Tech Adept

Had the MTX3 + PS12 at the track today.

Ran 1 more tank just blipping around.

Adjusted the needles slightly.

Engine was running great, very crisp & sharp.

Could not get it to go above 155 & its a warm sunny day in Dublin!!

The only hassle I had was after coming down the straight the engine would pick up a high idle, if I blipped the throttle most of the time it would settle.

I would normally put this down to a lean top end but the last thing this engine needs is for me too run it rich.

All the best
click, dublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:07 AM   #902
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to compaq888

Hey TG,

I'm always at Crystal on saturday's and sometimes sunday's too, I haven't seen you yet. I'd like to check out your motor, seems interesting. I race with Anthony and Marvin

Hope to see you at the track Eddic
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:51 AM   #903
Tech Fanatic

With your high idle problem, I would try the following things

1. Use longer back pressure silicon tube ( add 1 to 2 inches)

2. Richen the idle

3. Do the fuel tube pinch test and see if bottom needle still too rich. For this engine, I would go leaner on the bottom by further 1/8 and richen the idle 1/8 and see if this improve the situation.

4. Check your carb for leak. Try to use new carb for this engine Most guy had problem were from the carb. PS12 operate at different temp and require different needle setting so the old O rings may not work.

Quote:
Originally posted by click, dublin
Had the MTX3 + PS12 at the track today.

Ran 1 more tank just blipping around.

Adjusted the needles slightly.

Engine was running great, very crisp & sharp.

Could not get it to go above 155 & its a warm sunny day in Dublin!!

The only hassle I had was after coming down the straight the engine would pick up a high idle, if I blipped the throttle most of the time it would settle.

I would normally put this down to a lean top end but the last thing this engine needs is for me too run it rich.

All the best
kitracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:04 AM   #904
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am absolutly agree with Kitracer about tuning techniques for you Kevin.
Also please describe how the top of the piston looks like-color and finish condition.
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:07 AM   #905
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by compaq888
Hey TG,

I'm always at Crystal on saturday's and sometimes sunday's too, I haven't seen you yet. I'd like to check out your motor, seems interesting. I race with Anthony and Marvin

Hope to see you at the track Eddic
How is going.
We are usualy at Revealtion. CP is pretty tough track-no water, no shop, no shade. I am come down there sometimes during my lunch time at work. I can be there this weekend, will let you know tomorow.
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:17 PM   #906
Tech Adept

Hi Kitracer,

Slightly confused.

Richen the bottom I'm OK with but richen the idle?

Do you mean raise the idle or are you talking about something else?

Many Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by kitracer
With your high idle problem, I would try the following things

1. Use longer back pressure silicon tube ( add 1 to 2 inches)

2. Richen the idle

3. Do the fuel tube pinch test and see if bottom needle still too rich. For this engine, I would go leaner on the bottom by further 1/8 and richen the idle 1/8 and see if this improve the situation.

4. Check your carb for leak. Try to use new carb for this engine Most guy had problem were from the carb. PS12 operate at different temp and require different needle setting so the old O rings may not work.

Old 08-05-2004, 05:55 PM   #907
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Click, I'm glad to hear you got the engine running. I think KitRacer means lean the bottom end and lower the idle. (to compensate for the higher idle speed from the bottom end adjustment)

Your higher rpm at idle at the end of the straight might mean that the bottom is still a tad rich. I think that's why Kitracer is suggesting that. This engine seems to want a bottom setting that's more lean than you might think. It amazed me how lean my needles were when I got it tuned in. Give it a shot, you can always reset the needle if it doesn't work.

Have you noticed if the engine lowers RPM a little when the clutch engages? If so, try tightening the clutch a little or raising the idle screw a little.

Take a look at the top of your piston and let Edward know what color it is. This helps him determine if the head clearance is correct.
Surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:59 PM   #908
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to compaq888

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
How is going.
We are usualy at Revealtion. CP is pretty tough track-no water, no shop, no shade. I am come down there sometimes during my lunch time at work. I can be there this weekend, will let you know tomorow.
Edward
ok thanks

Maybe we can have some stalichnoia vodka with some pickles, just like in the good old days in the Soviet Union, just kidding, I'm under 21, so no drinking for me
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 01:37 AM   #909
Tech Adept

Default Piston Colour

Hi Edward,

Find below a pic of my piston head.

Its a light golden brown.

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_0102_2.jpg (78.4 KB, 209 views)
Old 08-06-2004, 04:56 AM   #910
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Piston Colour

I think you still running little too rich by the looks of the color.

I meant to say "leaner at bottom and lower the idle." thanks Surge

Quote:
Hi Edward,

Kevin
kitracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:05 AM   #911
Tech Adept

Hi Guys,

I really appreciate the feedback.

I'll go 1/8th of a turn leaner on the bottom.

I've also put about 2 1/2" of pressure fuel tube on the MTX3.

Won't get a chance to run the car till next week, more anon.

Kevin
Old 08-06-2004, 12:43 PM   #912
Tech Elite

Default Re: Piston Colour

Quote:
Hi Edward,

Kevin
Hi Kevin.
It seems for me from thet pic that it is still reach, I don't think I will be able to determinate for sure bottom end or top end , but it is defenetly little bit reach.
Edward
Old 08-07-2004, 05:57 PM   #913
Tech Fanatic

Hi Kevin,

We had the same thing happening with us 2 weeks ago. Leaning and adjusting the idle wont work. We tried all that and still couldnt get the temp over 180.

We had the exact same symptoms with 3 different carbs (brand new) so the carbs are not the issue.

I recommend dropping a shim on the head and trying a No.8 plug as TopGun suggested to me.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 10:58 PM   #914
Tech Elite

Default Dyno test

Just got back home. I was intvited to make some dyno tests on PS12.
I realy can't disclose any results from Dyno test, it was private testing, but can tell you we run a lot of tests-different pipes, head shimming, head bottons shapes. It was compare to other brand named egine. I am realy happy with results. i found whih pipe is more suitbe for long tracks and short tracks, which head sghimming is realy good smoth power band and waht is realy good for top peak.
I want to say cuople words about that dyno itself. It is X-dyno, which was on tread couple of weeks ago. It is ammesing device. Very freindly to use. I learn how to operate it within couple of runs. It has great software. If anybody ask me do I want to have this dyno-,y answer s- it is dream for racer.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:13 PM   #915
Tech Elite

Default PS12 wins!!!!

Congratulation to Jimmy Huyhn with his TQ and first place on HPI Challenge USA. He used the PS12 engine to power his R40 to an amazing win at the challenge. Thank you very much to Todd Bath for his provided support to Jimmy and the Palmaris Team.

Last edited by Top Gun 777; 08-09-2004 at 08:49 AM.