Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
NEW competition Novarossi .12 longstroke >

NEW competition Novarossi .12 longstroke

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW competition Novarossi .12 longstroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: RR12L3

Originally posted by Grinder
I used the engine at Full Throttle speedway which has a huge straight. The engine is very strong, but I think I need more time with it before I make a decision which I like better. I ended up using the NS12 because it revs higher than the RR. The engine has a similar powerband to the Sirio EVOII. I will try the engine on a medium size track and give a report soon.
On a huge track, doesn't have anything to do with the NS/NSR, but he excels on small and med tracks...

He ends revving almost the same is the high-end of the engine who is 'weak' at high rpms.... of course, Sirios love to run at impossible rpms too. Probably if you lately ran a Sirio, need a time to get accustomed to those engines another time.

Try it with a 52603 EFRA pipe and will rock. Until some days ago ever I've used a Nova 51224 pipe, but the 52603 works much better and helps the engine where he needs it.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:07 PM
afm
Tech Master

Grinder, CorseR

What is according to you a large track or a medium-short track?
What lenght does a main straight from a large track has to have to be considered as such?
Also you could have a short but very flowing track on which you hardly brake, and thus your engine is always revving, or a big track, in which you have to brake a lot on 180 benders and or lots of short straights in between tight bends that flow on to a large main straight.
AFM
Old 01-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by afm
Grinder, CorseR

What lenght does a main straight from a large track has to have to be considered as such?
Also you could have a short but very flowing track on which you hardly brake, and thus your engine is always revving, or a big track, in which you have to brake a lot on 180 benders and or lots of short straights in between tight bends that flow on to a large main straight.
AFM
If I am not mistaken the straight was 240 feet long and the track was very fast and sweeping with average speed in the qualifiers around 36 mph with 17 laps in 5 minutes. Full Throttle Speedway is an increadible track, if you are ever in Kissimmee FL check it out.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by afm
Grinder, CorseR

Mine local track is what I call 'medium to big' size: About 900Ft and a good lap is done in 20.10 seconds. Very flowing (210Ft of backstraight) and only two 180º hairpins.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:01 AM
che
Tech Regular

If I am not mistaken the straight was 240 feet long and the track was very fast and sweeping with average speed in the qualifiers around 36 mph with 17 laps in 5 minutes. Full Throttle Speedway is an increadible track, if you are ever in Kissimmee FL check it out.
How are electric 1/12th scales going to run on that for the IFMAR worlds this year?!
Old 01-02-2004, 02:44 PM
afm
Tech Master

Grinder, CorseR

Well, i guess my track could be considered "big" in terms of total layout, it has 1051 ft. It has two 156 ft. straights conected by a 52 ft. short straight and the rest is several tight corners and small straights, so in terms of "flow" i would say it is a mid to short track with low to mid traction and we run only rubber tires, so we use more braking than what would be used on foa,ms a nd a prepared track.
I think the new RRL3 would be perfect for my application. No wonder a good moded MT12 still performs very well at this track.
My Sirio Evo 2 needs to run 1 tooth shorter spurs than a tipical Nova based engine. Nobody has yet tried the new NS or NSR Novas, but I guess they would be to high end powered engines for this track, don't you think???
AFM
Old 01-02-2004, 02:47 PM
afm
Tech Master

Grinder, CorseR

Forgot to tell you that a good lap in our track is 24 sec. and the track record is 23.8 sec.
AFM
Old 01-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by afm
Grinder, CorseR

Well, i guess my track could be considered "big" in terms of total layout, it has 1051 ft. It has two 156 ft. straights conected by a 52 ft. short straight and the rest is several tight corners and small straights, so in terms of "flow" i would say it is a mid to short track with low to mid traction and we run only rubber tires, so we use more braking than what would be used on foa,ms a nd a prepared track.
I think the new RRL3 would be perfect for my application. No wonder a good moded MT12 still performs very well at this track.
My Sirio Evo 2 needs to run 1 tooth shorter spurs than a tipical Nova based engine. Nobody has yet tried the new NS or NSR Novas, but I guess they would be to high end powered engines for this track, don't you think???
AFM
Uhm.... probably you will be very fine with an NS/NSR along a Nova pipe 52604 (EFRA 2501), this pipe has good power into mid to high rpms (Nova 51224 has more low-end without hampering too much the high-end rpms too), and the NS* are very powerful engines that permit to turn into ridiculous rpms on the backstraights. Unless your track has a lot of hairpins, don't think that getting the RR12 will be an advantage.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default mistake*****

yah.. i new it was old news... but not a lot of people were talking about it, so i just thought i'd mention it.... anyway, its *$260(I made a mistake and said $160 in the 1st post... sorry about that)
Old 01-04-2004, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default RR12L3

Well I finally had a full day of running the RR, and I like it a lot. The motor is super strong from take off and pulls strong all the way up. I tried different pipes and settled on the Novamega TP04 with a shortened header, total length from the end of the header to the middle of the pipe was about 101 mm. The track was meduim size about 180 feet of straight and several short straights. The RR was better on this size track than the NS. IMOH
Old 01-04-2004, 10:21 PM
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: RR12L3

Well I finally had a full day of running the RR, and I like it a lot. The motor is super strong from take off and pulls strong all the way up. I tried different pipes and settled on the Novamega TP04 with a shortened header, total length from the end of the header to the middle of the pipe was about 101 mm. The track was meduim size about 180 feet of straight and several short straights. The RR was better on this size track than the NS. IMOH
Thanks Grinder
That is what I thought it would be good for. a small to medium track. If you check in my post about the description of my track, i think this engine is about perfect to my needs, don't you think?? Although, if you check on the Sirio engines thread i posted the setting on my Sirio Evo 2 that broke the track record this past Saturday.

Ciao
AFM
Old 01-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default RR12L3

I would love to see this novarossi RR12L3 in a actual race setting with 3 or 4 other engine models just to see and hear how their power band and other charactoristics compare.
My interest in this model engine is for short track (under150' streight/500' total lenght) racing. Anybody got a VID to post ?

RayA
Old 01-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Did i hear that someone uses Brakes, WOW. I never use brakes. Some drag brake is all I ever use.
From reading what you guys are posting. My 180' straight track with three 180 degree turns would like the RR12. Interesting. I was going to get the New Mugen X-series mill. But i might change my mind. The longest tracks that i would run on would be like a 220-240 straight. I got a MR and MT. both Modded. and the Mt has gone faster on the track. by .10 sec. We get 25 laps on the track. So i would take it our track is small. LOL> I thought it was decent size. Guess Not. I have been to the Hamilton OH. track. now that is huge.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Re: RR12L3

Originally posted by afm
Hey Grinder

How do you compare it performance wise against a NSR12S3, or to a Sirio Evo2?????

Happy New Year

AFM
RR12L3 only left behind in an average of 1/200 seconds compared to Novamax 5P turbo NS based on the same car (V1RR evo) with the same driver on about 80m x 40m track with 4.5m in field.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I tried ordering the RR12L3 from RC-Mushroom but they're out of stock.
Who else is selling these?