Search
Like Tree1Likes

"the tuning bible"

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mbx5rcr34
guys i need your input here we went for practice yesterday & everything was fine new clutch shoe,spring & cleaned filter , except the jx motor flame-out (half-tank) ,so i tried to richen the top (hsn) & fill it up again after some passes same thing when it rich to half-tank it will flame-out ,i tried new p3 plug same thing,if not half-tank it will flame-out on 1/4 mark
put a new tank in it

go to the ebmods js thread , there are a number of experts on that engine in there

Last edited by houston; 05-08-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i just change the tank recently ,i would say 10 tanks already
Old 05-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile

Very Helpful
Old 05-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Tuning help

I just chased a tune all day. I put a new carb on a good running OS v-spec, old one's slide was sticking. It ran great on the starter box, started right up, idled good, good power etc. until it was put on the track. At best it would run great on the straight, i'd coast through the sweeper, then when I got back on it, it gurgled like it was loading up. Re-tuned and it would bog and try to die at half throttle, a couple times it backfired (again it was perfect on the bench). Tried numerous time, same results.

It seemed like it only acted up under load. Other suggested an air leak, it didn't seem like an air leak to me but I was willing to try anything, so I changed fuel lines, tightened carb, pipe etc.

I thought maybe a clutch problem but just pulled it apart and it seems good. Is this maybe a mechanical problem seeing it only happens with the cars wheels on the track?
Any ideas???
Old 05-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by triple7s
I just chased a tune all day. I put a new carb on a good running OS v-spec, old one's slide was sticking. It ran great on the starter box, started right up, idled good, good power etc. until it was put on the track. At best it would run great on the straight, i'd coast through the sweeper, then when I got back on it, it gurgled like it was loading up. Re-tuned and it would bog and try to die at half throttle, a couple times it backfired (again it was perfect on the bench). Tried numerous time, same results.

It seemed like it only acted up under load. Other suggested an air leak, it didn't seem like an air leak to me but I was willing to try anything, so I changed fuel lines, tightened carb, pipe etc.

I thought maybe a clutch problem but just pulled it apart and it seems good. Is this maybe a mechanical problem seeing it only happens with the cars wheels on the track?
Any ideas???
make sure you have the proper shimming under the head
Old 05-13-2010, 04:01 AM
Tech Adept

quick question..

i'm running in an engine axe cobra x1 evo .21

i've done about 2L through the engine now and it's starting to get some serious top end speed.

when tuning this engine i have found myself having to richen the mixture to get a better top end without lean bog (which i have experienced when running this engine in). so i richened the HSN by upto 1/4 turn..
does this seam right with a new engine? is this just the engine wearing in and finding new RPM?

also. when applying open throttle, backing off, then applying open throttle the engine would surge slightly on the 2nd take of... once again, is this just a result of a too rich mixture... both HSN and LSN, and/or the engine wearing in?

at all times the engine has blown blue smoke. with the spit test . spit evaporated after about 6 - 8 secs.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Hi guys,

i'm a bit of an amateur and have accidently adjusted my LSN on my OS speed while adjusting the throttle ballstud position!

As it runs now it's fine once it's off and running, it doesn't stall quickly when sat idling but under initial acceleration it sits for 1-2 seconds before clearing out and accelerating with initially a lot of blue smoke. The HSN is definitely bob on so it is only the LSN that needs adjusting, does it sound too rich or too lean?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Originally Posted by DaveG28
Hi guys,

i'm a bit of an amateur and have accidently adjusted my LSN on my OS speed while adjusting the throttle ballstud position!

As it runs now it's fine once it's off and running, it doesn't stall quickly when sat idling but under initial acceleration it sits for 1-2 seconds before clearing out and accelerating with initially a lot of blue smoke. The HSN is definitely bob on so it is only the LSN that needs adjusting, does it sound too rich or too lean?
too rich on your LSN. Lean it little by little.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveG28
Hi guys,

Try the pinch test
Old 05-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

i have been reading this whole thread to try to weed out the good and bad ideas and have tried them all.....but the 1 i like best is: GET THE MOTOR TO OPERATING TEMP,THEN DO A COUPLE HIGH SPEED RUNS AND LEAN THE HIGH SPEED NEEDLE LITTLE BY LITTLE TILL IT BOGS @ HIGH SPEED THAN RICHEN THE HSN ABOUT 1-2 HOURS DEPENDING ON YOUR OWN LIKEING.....THEN LEAN THE LOW SPEED NEEDLE LITTLE BY LITTLE TILL IT BOGS WHEN THROTTLE IS QUICKLY APPLIED,THEN RICHEN IT ABOUT 1-2 HOURS DEPENDING ON YOUR LIKEING AGAIN....IF YOUR MOTOR IS IDLEING ALITTLE HIGH JUST BACK OFF ON THE IDLE SCREW TILL IT IDLES AND THE CLUTCH IS NOT ENGAGING....AFTER THATS ALL DONE YOUR MOTOR WILL SCREAM! AND IDLE GREAT!

Last edited by deadmancourt; 05-20-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by houston
put a new tank in it

go to the ebmods js thread , there are a number of experts on that engine in there
........its for my ninja jx21 sorry for the incomplete details,anyway i just realized that i messed-up the MRN setting i just change the o-ring & its acting-up ,but i got it right this time ,so it will idle no-flame-out ............today i just noticed that theres some oil behind the flywheel ,i guess oil leak ,is this the time for replacement ??
Old 05-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default losi mach 427 tuning

i need help i cant get this engine tuned right all its broken in just need help tuning it any help would be nice it dies after about 10 seconds of idling and wen i hit the throttle it just dies please help

i have had my aftershock for four years and still dont know how to tune please help
Old 05-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Originally Posted by maiden723
i need help i cant get this engine tuned right all its broken in just need help tuning it any help would be nice it dies after about 10 seconds of idling and wen i hit the throttle it just dies please help

i have had my aftershock for four years and still dont know how to tune please help
too rich on your LSN.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tkhoo
too rich on your LSN.
ok thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TC3ElectricGuy
quick question..

i'm running in an engine axe cobra x1 evo .21

i've done about 2L through the engine now and it's starting to get some serious top end speed.

when tuning this engine i have found myself having to richen the mixture to get a better top end without lean bog (which i have experienced when running this engine in). so i richened the HSN by upto 1/4 turn..
does this seam right with a new engine? is this just the engine wearing in and finding new RPM?

also. when applying open throttle, backing off, then applying open throttle the engine would surge slightly on the 2nd take of... once again, is this just a result of a too rich mixture... both HSN and LSN, and/or the engine wearing in?

at all times the engine has blown blue smoke. with the spit test . spit evaporated after about 6 - 8 secs.
Are you using the cold plug they recommend? I went to a hotter plug, the tune was more consistent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.