Like Tree195Likes

Novarossi engines thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kingtito
I have a question about the .12 Virtus

I bought one when it 1st came out. I probably have have about 3 gallons but I'm going on my 2nd main bearing already. I haven't over heated the engine but for what ever reason the bearing is going bad.

I ran at the Airtronics race last weekend and blew 2 glow plugs in the main. After checking the conrod, we discovered it has a little play and needs to be replaced. We measured the pin on the crank and it was within specs just in case it was worn.

What would cause my bearing to go out so fast? 2 $100+ bearing in less than 1 year is a pretty steep price to pay. I decided to just order the complete rebuild kit. Anyone have any ideas what would cause this?
i guess bad fuel?
lean setting?
Old 02-12-2015, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by GREGORY!
i guess bad fuel?
lean setting?
I'm running Prime Fuel 16% and have been from the start. Temps are usually around 220-250 and peak of 260. I'll keep a better eye on the temps after I replace the parts.

Thanks for the response
Old 02-12-2015, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

I'm running Prime Fuel 16% and have been from the start. Temps are usually around 220-250 and peak of 260. I'll keep a better eye on the temps after I replace the parts.

Thanks for the response
i do not know that fuel.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone know where I can find the Novarossi steel bearing 16608 for the Virtus?
Old 02-18-2015, 04:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi all I have a strange problem with my plus 35. It's had around 20-25 litres run through it have changed rods an bearings regularly. But last club day went to start if and it kept locking up like a new motor. So I pulled it down everything looks fine no marks the rods perfect but the piston will only slide half way up the sleeve. An jams like it needs to be run in again. What could cause this can the piston expand and not shrink back?
Old 02-18-2015, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by monaro
Hi all I have a strange problem with my plus 35. It's had around 20-25 litres run through it have changed rods an bearings regularly. But last club day went to start if and it kept locking up like a new motor. So I pulled it down everything looks fine no marks the rods perfect but the piston will only slide half way up the sleeve. An jams like it needs to be run in again. What could cause this can the piston expand and not shrink back?
There is a chance that you tighten the head screws unproperly?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

What's the best way to break in the Virtus after getting the rebuild kit? I just received a new P/S conrod and wanted to make sure I do it proper.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

What's the best way to break in the Virtus after getting the rebuild kit? I just received a new P/S conrod and wanted to make sure I do it proper.
Run it in exactly the same way you would a brand new engine.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

I have a question about the .12 Virtus

I bought one when it 1st came out. I probably have have about 3 gallons but I'm going on my 2nd main bearing already. I haven't over heated the engine but for what ever reason the bearing is going bad.

I ran at the Airtronics race last weekend and blew 2 glow plugs in the main. After checking the conrod, we discovered it has a little play and needs to be replaced. We measured the pin on the crank and it was within specs just in case it was worn.

What would cause my bearing to go out so fast? 2 $100+ bearing in less than 1 year is a pretty steep price to pay. I decided to just order the complete rebuild kit. Anyone have any ideas what would cause this?
This isn't normal at all. Usually in my experience 99% of premature bearing/rod failures is due to using poor fuel. I've never heard of the fuel you are using! Maybe worth changing brands to something more known and reliable.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monaro
Did you change fuel brands/mix? Sometimes changing fuel brands can have this effect.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dan_vector
This isn't normal at all. Usually in my experience 99% of premature bearing/rod failures is due to using poor fuel. I've never heard of the fuel you are using! Maybe worth changing brands to something more known and reliable.
Might be but my local Hobby shop only sells that fuel. Eric V has something to do with the company that makes it and it's been in use for years by a lot of the racers that ran at Norcal. Still I might have to switch because 2 bearings in 1 year is a lot.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Is there a way of removing the bearing without using a bearing puller? Like using an oven for the Virtus? I don't have access to a puller at the moment so I'm looking for ways that won't hurt the engine.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Is there a way of removing the bearing without using a bearing puller? Like using an oven for the Virtus? I don't have access to a puller at the moment so I'm looking for ways that won't hurt the engine.
I do not have a puller either.
The oven method works flawless!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Puller is by far the best method. Heating isn't really a good idea in my experience as it can damage the new bearing if you get the case too hot and if your only changing the rear bearing you can damage the cage on the front bearing.

Also without an insertion tool it is possible to slightly misalign the front and rear bearings even if using the crankshaft to install.
Try to find a buddy with a puller/insert tool (or invest in one as they pay for themselves very quickly!). You won't find the pros using the heat method!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks. I have a friend that let me use it last time. I haven't seen him in a while. i was thinking of purchasing one but 100 is a bit much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.