Like Tree195Likes

Novarossi engines thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:55 AM
  #1741  
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Originally Posted by EdwardN
Just to mention to anybody who wants to change main bearing on Novarossi based motors-be carefull, Novarossi main bearings made offset and proper direction is required. Shorter side goes to back side of motor.
It is just tip to follow.
Thanks, very good info

Can RB tools use to open Novarossi bearings ? I've seen some sizes.



http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php...it=01400-011.5
asw7576 is offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 12:34 PM
  #1742  
Tech Apprentice
 
antoine80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 94
Default

i have started looking for a new engine after the axle damage.. i have some questions..

what are the differences between 5 ports and 3 ports engines?

also at novarossi you can see S and L engines, for instance mine was an LL5, what are the differences?

also something to note, i downloaded some documentation for an O.S. engine and it is much better than Novarossi documentation and for me this matter, although i don't have an opinion if they are better engines.
antoine80 is offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 03:26 PM
  #1743  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
mugenb46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: springfield tn
Posts: 1,385
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

hey guys i need to know how to tell the difference between a novarossi mt 12 and a mr 12. i thought i had two mt 12s but the back plate on one of them looks diff on the out side, i'm thinking this is a mr 12, the mt12 has the same looking plate but you can see from the outside were the diff is in the mold of it, it is a spot were the piston comes down further being a longsroke motor the other does not have it, so could it be a mr.12 thanks.
mugenb46 is offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 03:47 PM
  #1744  
afm
Tech Master
 
afm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: lima-peru
Posts: 1,811
Default

Originally Posted by mugenb46
hey guys i need to know how to tell the difference between a novarossi mt 12 and a mr 12. i thought i had two mt 12s but the back plate on one of them looks diff on the out side, i'm thinking this is a mr 12, the mt12 has the same looking plate but you can see from the outside were the diff is in the mold of it, it is a spot were the piston comes down further being a longsroke motor the other does not have it, so could it be a mr.12 thanks.
The MT12 has a longer conrod, so the backplate doesn't have the cut recess for the piston coming down. The MR 12 has shorter conrod (25mm) like most current Nova based engines (except the LL's and plus 12's), so the back plate has the cut.
Best check is dissamble and verify conrod lenght (Long = MT12)

AFM
afm is offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 04:12 PM
  #1745  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
mugenb46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: springfield tn
Posts: 1,385
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

so will the mr sg crank fit the cx 12 then
mugenb46 is offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 04:57 PM
  #1746  
afm
Tech Master
 
afm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: lima-peru
Posts: 1,811
Default

Originally Posted by mugenb46
so will the mr sg crank fit the cx 12 then
Yes, and also the MT12 crank will do. And I think, if my memory doesn't fail, the conrod of the CX and MT are the same (long)

AFM
afm is offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 05:07 PM
  #1747  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
mugenb46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: springfield tn
Posts: 1,385
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

awsome, have you ran this motor. can you tell me a little about it's manors i hope it is a good mill
mugenb46 is offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 08:19 PM
  #1748  
afm
Tech Master
 
afm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: lima-peru
Posts: 1,811
Default

Originally Posted by mugenb46
awsome, have you ran this motor. can you tell me a little about it's manors i hope it is a good mill
Which one are you talking about CX, MT, MR ???

All of them are very old technology, but they are reliable Nova made engines.

You shouldn't have major problems.

AFM
afm is offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 08:40 PM
  #1749  
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Originally Posted by antoine80
i have started looking for a new engine after the axle damage.. i have some questions..

what are the differences between 5 ports and 3 ports engines?

also at novarossi you can see S and L engines, for instance mine was an LL5, what are the differences?

also something to note, i downloaded some documentation for an O.S. engine and it is much better than Novarossi documentation and for me this matter, although i don't have an opinion if they are better engines.
More ports = more top end rpm ( if the engine ports are designed correctly ).

In reality 3 vs 5 ports are marginal, unless you have super long straight.

I can't answer about L and S because I only have JP and NSR engines.
asw7576 is offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 09:29 PM
  #1750  
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

Originally Posted by antoine80
also at novarossi you can see S and L engines, for instance mine was an LL5, what are the differences?
I've never seen any LL works great at least in my country. But the newer Plus12 series are different story. The power is great, the price is also good.
daniz24 is offline  
Old 10-11-2006, 12:21 AM
  #1751  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 948
Default

Originally Posted by antoine80
i have started looking for a new engine after the axle damage.. i have some questions..

what are the differences between 5 ports and 3 ports engines?

also at novarossi you can see S and L engines, for instance mine was an LL5, what are the differences?

also something to note, i downloaded some documentation for an O.S. engine and it is much better than Novarossi documentation and for me this matter, although i don't have an opinion if they are better engines.
The LL Series is a long stroke engine, and the LS series is a shorter stroke engine. If your choosing between one of these, the LS is the better engine. If your willing to spend a bit more money, the Plus 12-3CT is in my opinion the best .12 engine on the market. Before i ran Novarossi, i ran OS Speed Tuned and Sirio STI, and i prefer the Plus 12-3CT over both those engines.

As for better packaging and documentation, this will not win you races or make any differnce to the life or performance of the engine. Everything you need to know about a Novarossi engines is on their website, and is very clear and easy to understand.

Cheers
Rody is offline  
Old 10-11-2006, 12:22 AM
  #1752  
Tech Apprentice
 
antoine80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 94
Default

Originally Posted by daniz24
I've never seen any LL works great at least in my country. But the newer Plus12 series are different story. The power is great, the price is also good.
what do you mean they don't work correctly?
antoine80 is offline  
Old 10-11-2006, 03:10 AM
  #1753  
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

Originally Posted by antoine80
what do you mean they don't work correctly?
No, its just the power isn't there.

But maybe someone here have better experience with the LL?
daniz24 is offline  
Old 10-11-2006, 03:23 AM
  #1754  
Tech Apprentice
 
antoine80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 94
Default

Originally Posted by Rody
The LL Series is a long stroke engine, and the LS series is a shorter stroke engine. If your choosing between one of these, the LS is the better engine. If your willing to spend a bit more money, the Plus 12-3CT is in my opinion the best .12 engine on the market. Before i ran Novarossi, i ran OS Speed Tuned and Sirio STI, and i prefer the Plus 12-3CT over both those engines.

As for better packaging and documentation, this will not win you races or make any differnce to the life or performance of the engine. Everything you need to know about a Novarossi engines is on their website, and is very clear and easy to understand.

Cheers
I looked again at their website and i didn't find for instance extensive information for breaking in, but i should agry with you that documentation does not win races.. but can help you make the life of the engine longer

what is the difference between Long and Short stroke ?

BR
Antony
antoine80 is offline  
Old 10-11-2006, 05:47 AM
  #1755  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 948
Default

Originally Posted by antoine80
I looked again at their website and i didn't find for instance extensive information for breaking in, but i should agry with you that documentation does not win races.. but can help you make the life of the engine longer

what is the difference between Long and Short stroke ?

BR
Antony
Copy and Paste from Novarossi Website:
"A gas powered engine requires careful running in to allow the internal parts to achieve proper operating clearances.
Enrich the fuel-mixture from factory position by turning the main needle 1/2 turn counter-clockwise. Run the car up to half-speed (at most) using moderate acceleration. Do this for 4 - 5 tanks of fuel. On the next 3 tanks of fuel, slowly increase the speed and acceleration, and start leaning the main needle setting by turning the needle clockwise.

The right engine temperature will vary widely, depending on the air temperature, fuel used, altitude, driving style, air flow conditions of the body and several other factors. There is absolutely no way anyone can tell you an ideal engine temperature. It is generally accepted that a proper range of temperatures is between 95 and 115 degrees Celsius (or about 205 and 240 degrees Fahrenheit). The biggest variable of all in measuring engine temperature is where and how the measurement is taken. Your infrared thermometer may be calibrated completely different than ours, or you may be pointing at a different spot on the head. We usually check the temperature pointing the infrared on the glow plug.

The fastest way to know if your engine is running properly is to read the glow plug and the under head. It is usually possible to take out a new glow plug of an engine and look at it closely to see if the engine is running too rich, too lean, etc. Using a new glow plug, install it in the engine you want to test. Run the engine for a full tank of fuel at race speeds. When the engine runs rich the wire is wet and shiny and the under head is white coloured. Normally when the engine runs lean the wire is dry and out of shape; the surface of the under head could be damaged. The wire is lightly wet and shiny and the under head is gold coloured when your engine is well tuned."

Is this extensive enough?

A shorter stroke engine will "usually" rev harder, and make more of it's power higher up in the rev range. A Long stoke engine is "supposed to" produce it's power and torque at a lower RPM.
Rody is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.