Like Tree106Likes

Novarossi engines thread

Reply

Old 06-24-2006, 06:22 AM
  #1516  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
iwk2much's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Temecula
Posts: 277
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by silverM3
Anyone have any exp. on Plus12-3 ? I am torn between it and OS 12 TZ tuned. Any comments would be appreciated!
SilverM3:

I used this motor (12-3CT)for the nats last week. It has a large power window and easily made time despite not being fully broken in. Comparing it to OS Speed motors at the track, this motor had better rip at the bottom and mid range but lost out a little in the top. I was geared for this and didn't have time to experiment with pipes. On top of the great power and mileage this unit gave me, after a gallon or so of fuel, the motor could still use some running in. I predict this motor will last quite a while. Hope this helps.
iwk2much is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:51 PM
  #1517  
Tech Initiate
 
MAXNITRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Armadale, Western Australia
Posts: 34
Default

Do i need to replace the crank if i convert the LS5 to an LS3? or just the Piston & liner?
MAXNITRO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:55 PM
  #1518  
Tech Fanatic
 
SalvadoriRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Brazil, Sao Paulo
Posts: 928
Default

Originally Posted by iwk2much
SilverM3:

I used this motor (12-3CT)for the nats last week. It has a large power window and easily made time despite not being fully broken in. Comparing it to OS Speed motors at the track, this motor had better rip at the bottom and mid range but lost out a little in the top. I was geared for this and didn't have time to experiment with pipes. On top of the great power and mileage this unit gave me, after a gallon or so of fuel, the motor could still use some running in. I predict this motor will last quite a while. Hope this helps.
did you use the EFRA 2630 exhaust pipe???
SalvadoriRacing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:58 PM
  #1519  
Tech Fanatic
 
SalvadoriRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Brazil, Sao Paulo
Posts: 928
Default

Originally Posted by MAXNITRO
Do i need to replace the crank if i convert the LS5 to an LS3? or just the Piston & liner?
piston/sleeve only.....
SalvadoriRacing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:59 AM
  #1520  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
rcabj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: johor, west malaysia
Posts: 4,682
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

i've just drop in a 3port p/s into my 3 year old nova s5...without replacing any other parts...after doin some breakin in and raced it yesterday it works pretty well...
rcabj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:55 AM
  #1521  
Tech Master
 
ziggy12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 1,596
Default

Originally Posted by silverM3
Anyone have any exp. on Plus12-3 ? I am torn between it and OS 12 TZ tuned. Any comments would be appreciated!
The OS is not a true ABC PL set and will loose the pinch very quickly if overheated. Go for the 12-3

Cheers
ziggy12345 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:22 AM
  #1522  
afm
Tech Master
 
afm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: lima-peru
Posts: 1,807
Default

Originally Posted by ziggy12345
The OS is not a true ABC PL set and will loose the pinch very quickly if overheated. Go for the 12-3

Cheers
What do you mean it's not "True ABC" ?? The Specs for the engine says so:

FEATURES:
-Natural aluminum construction Nine fin blue aluminum cooling head
-Two-piece turbo cylinder head with 29mm innner and 49mm outer head
that adds extra area for more efficient cooling
-Slide Carb 11H - 3 needle slide valve carburetor with ROAR/IFMAR legal 5.5mm carb restrictor
-Rear Exhaust
-ABC construction, Aluminum piston and Brass liner that is Chrome plated
-High tensile A7075 "knife edge" aluminum connecting rod double bushed for friction-free operation.


Donít confuse compression with pinch, Sleeve Pinch is not that important contrary to popular belief. The question is how well does it seal as soon as the piston starts to close the exhaust port and if it holds compression after you roll it to top dead center.
Place a few drops of after run oil trough the top (removing plug), then place plug in place, then roll piston to top dead center and listen and look for air bubbles through exhaust port. If thereís none, then your engine still has compression, even if it has no pinch.
The fastest team motors we have, have zero pinch.

AFM
afm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:31 AM
  #1523  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 727
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by afm
What do you mean it's not "True ABC" ?? The Specs for the engine says so:

FEATURES:
-Natural aluminum construction Nine fin blue aluminum cooling head
-Two-piece turbo cylinder head with 29mm innner and 49mm outer head
that adds extra area for more efficient cooling
-Slide Carb 11H - 3 needle slide valve carburetor with ROAR/IFMAR legal 5.5mm carb restrictor
-Rear Exhaust
-ABC construction, Aluminum piston and Brass liner that is Chrome plated
-High tensile A7075 "knife edge" aluminum connecting rod double bushed for friction-free operation.


Donít confuse compression with pinch, Sleeve Pinch is not that important contrary to popular belief. The question is how well does it seal as soon as the piston starts to close the exhaust port and if it holds compression after you roll it to top dead center.
Place a few drops of after run oil trough the top (removing plug), then place plug in place, then roll piston to top dead center and listen and look for air bubbles through exhaust port. If thereís none, then your engine still has compression, even if it has no pinch.
The fastest team motors we have, have zero pinch.

AFM
I am not knowledgable as anyone of you. But, my exp is that OS TZ seems to be quite durable. I had more than 8 gallons on TZ 5, and I still see a lot of compression.

My bday is coming up, and my wife finally "allows" me to buy a new engine. I like OS TZ tuned better, because I am used to tune OS engine. Plus 12-3C seems to me is a better deal, cheaper and equal in performance. But, I heard NovaRossi is harder to tune than OS engine. That is why I would to hear some comments regarding these to engines. Thx.
silverM3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:42 PM
  #1524  
Tech Fanatic
 
teammpp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 894
Default

Originally Posted by ziggy12345
The OS is not a true ABC PL set and will loose the pinch very quickly if overheated. Go for the 12-3

Cheers
Not sure were you are getting that info but OS probably make one of the finest ABC P/L ever. Granted they were never huge on the car scene other than off-road compared to other known brands but their aero engines have been the class leaders for many decades.
teammpp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:40 AM
  #1525  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
Nitro$junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 1,420
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

any one know the difference between all the the 12 plus 3 models
is it turbo non turbo ceramic and non ceramic is this right
Nitro$junkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:15 AM
  #1526  
Tech Master
iTrader: (27)
 
FREELANCE_RCer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,317
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie
any one know the difference between all the the 12 plus 3 models
is it turbo non turbo ceramic and non ceramic is this right
yes,
plus 12 - 3 (non-ceramic, non-turbo)
plus 12 - 3C (ceramic, non-turbo )
plus 12 - 3T (non-ceramic, turbo)
plus 12 - 3cT (ceramic, turbo)

1603 - non-ceramic rear bearing
1606 - ceramic rear bearing
FREELANCE_RCer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:51 AM
  #1527  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
iwk2much's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Temecula
Posts: 277
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SalvadoriRacing
did you use the EFRA 2630 exhaust pipe???
No, I used a JP EFRA 2620. Ddin't have time to test the 2630.
iwk2much is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:58 AM
  #1528  
Tech Fanatic
 
SalvadoriRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Brazil, Sao Paulo
Posts: 928
Default

Originally Posted by FREELANCE_RCer
yes,
plus 12 - 3 (non-ceramic, non-turbo)
plus 12 - 3C (ceramic, non-turbo )
plus 12 - 3T (non-ceramic, turbo)
plus 12 - 3cT (ceramic, turbo)

1603 - non-ceramic rear bearing
1606 - ceramic rear bearing
just to clarify......

when Novarossi means NON TURBO, it refers to the crankshaft, not the glowplug, the non turbo shaft is EFRA legal and its tunel is smaller than the turbo style, which is not efra legal.......
SalvadoriRacing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:00 PM
  #1529  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 50
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

ok guys i have a Novarossi RR12L3 hotmod engine. What is a good pipe and header combo for it?
basher772000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:12 PM
  #1530  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Here is the list that you can choose from
JP EFRA 2620
Nova Rossi EFRA 2630
Skyline VR 12 Plus ROAR LEGAL
Vantage carbon pipe ROAR LEGAL
Team Kamikaze is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service