R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #1411
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dino.tw
20 SMOKE,is it a stock D3R or someone has modified it?
ProjectZen mod

how about the scraping /burnmarks on the p/s

copper .28
alum.38
Old 02-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #1412
Nitro Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
ProjectZen mod

how about the scraping on the p/s
That is why I ask you anyone mod it. They change the port timing also?

two possible;
1)there are some deckle edge after mod
2)too lean when break in will cause scratch too
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #1413
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
ProjectZen mod.............

copper .28
alum.38
That is to much alu 0.38mm??? copper 0.28mm??
A total of 0.66mm shims???, that's good for 40% Nitro

You sure you measured right, because to low compression on a particular Nitro% can cause overheating too.
I'ts curious that you have extra 0.008mm on both measurements of shims, plus I only know of 0.10, 0.20, 0.30mm shims.
Check and correct accordingly, you should use 0.50mm total on 30% Nitro, and Nova 7TGF plug.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 05:16 AM   #1414
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

the markings on the p/s came later after I got back from Geoff. I sent it to him and he did a few more things to it so i will do the clutch and find new head shims to.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:57 AM   #1415
Tech Rookie

Hello from Spain. Sorry for my english

I bought a STS Dragon D3R modified, by rc-mushroom

Can you say me the specification for this engine (hp, rpm...). In the STS web donīt put this.

How I can do the break in, by 15% fuel?

Thanks
Oscar
ojerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:11 AM   #1416
Tech Master

Hello

i dont know about the engines HP or RPM but if you read this it tell you how to break in the engine

click here : http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=49711
TRAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:28 AM   #1417
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
For 30% nitro I'd use Nova 7TGF plug.
For 30% Nitro I'd use total 0.50mm shims, so if you say you have 1 alu, which is 0.30mm, the copper should be 0.20mm, but you must measure the copper one you have on, because there are thiner ones.

AFM
You want to wantch the head clearance. It has some clearance withut any shims and so the head clearance is not the shim thickness.

The only way to check is to stick a piece of solder in the chamber and turn over the engine then measure the flattened end. Add or take out shims as required.

The NSR .12 is 0.008" without any shims

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:02 AM   #1418
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
You want to wantch the head clearance. It has some clearance withut any shims and so the head clearance is not the shim thickness.

The only way to check is to stick a piece of solder in the chamber and turn over the engine then measure the flattened end. Add or take out shims as required.

The NSR .12 is 0.008" without any shims

Cheers
Thanks, but my reccomendations are allready taking into account clearance without shims.

Your method of checking unshimmed head clearance is very unprecise.
The correct method is dissasembling the head and measuring head and cylinder recess with a depht micrometer or a digital caliper, then substract both measures and add shims accordingly to arrive to proper combustion chamber size.

AFM
Old 02-10-2005, 08:49 AM   #1419
Tech Master

Where are you assuming the piston comes to? How will you know this by measuring the cylinder head recess?

My method measures the ACTUAL head clearance. It also puts force on the piston to remove all play so is close to what would be the measurment under compression.

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:54 AM   #1420
Tech Elite

Default D5R Variation

How many types of D5R is out there? I m asking because mine does not look the same as my friend's. His sleeve porting looks like a Nova ( with vertical inclined transfer port) but with a divider at the booster port. Mine is looks a bit like OS/RBV12 ( with 2 normal transfer port and no divider at the booster port.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #1421
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
Where are you assuming the piston comes to? How will you know this by measuring the cylinder head recess?

My method measures the ACTUAL head clearance. It also puts force on the piston to remove all play so is close to what would be the measurment under compression.

Cheers
Piston has to be at TDC of course, then measure depht from cylinder edge to piston crown. It is very simple.

If your method works....good for you. I prefer the micrometric measurement.

AFM
Old 02-10-2005, 09:58 AM   #1422
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: D5R Variation

Quote:
Originally posted by dameetz
How many types of D5R is out there? I m asking because mine does not look the same as my friend's. His sleeve porting looks like a Nova ( with vertical inclined transfer port) but with a divider at the booster port. Mine is looks a bit like OS/RBV12 ( with 2 normal transfer port and no divider at the booster port.
Little bit confusing your question. Let's see 5 port engines have 2 side transfers and one boost transfer at the opposite end of exhaust port. The side transfers are divided in two by a bridge, so that makes 4 side transfers, plus the boost makes 5.
3 port engines have no dividing bridge on the sleeve side transfers, so that makes 2 side transfers plus boost transfer.

Now STS 3 port D3R engines have an aluminum bridge on the crankcase paths to both side transfers and boost transfer...and somehow aids mixtture flow simulating more ports. I haven't seen physically a 5 port crankcase to see if thy have them too.

I hope I'm clear on my explanation.

AFM
Old 02-10-2005, 09:34 PM   #1423
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: D5R Variation

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
Little bit confusing your question. Let's see 5 port engines have 2 side transfers and one boost transfer at the opposite end of exhaust port. The side transfers are divided in two by a bridge, so that makes 4 side transfers, plus the boost makes 5.
3 port engines have no dividing bridge on the sleeve side transfers, so that makes 2 side transfers plus boost transfer.

Now STS 3 port D3R engines have an aluminum bridge on the crankcase paths to both side transfers and boost transfer...and somehow aids mixtture flow simulating more ports. I haven't seen physically a 5 port crankcase to see if thy have them too.

I hope I'm clear on my explanation.

AFM
Sorry if I m confusing, let me explain again. Me and my friend have D5R, which is a 5 ports engine, which looks the exactly the same from the outside. However, upon inspecting the sleeves,they are both different. As I said earlier my sleeve looks like normal typical 5 port with both side 2 transfer port and 1 booster port, my friend's is like a Nova sleeve with both side 2 transfer ports (one vertical and one is normal horizontal) and the booster port has a divider or wall in the middle, which if you count will make 6 ports instead.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:28 PM   #1424
Tech Master

so your side ports look like "- -" but your friends is "- |" and your booster port is "---" where your friends is "- -" ?
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:09 AM   #1425
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by au_Nightmare
so your side ports look like "- -" but your friends is "- |" and your booster port is "---" where your friends is "- -" ?
Thats right I don't have dig camera yet so can't post the pic.