R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-14-2004, 11:47 AM   #826
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by au_Nightmare
Data,
I have a D5 and thinking of a D3 (IFMAR one) hmm so you like it better hey?? why?
nightmare:

it is only a feel more than anything else. the response on the d5 i had is kind of slow but i am sure it was because of the carb. and the pipe I used (nova carb., a top end pipe with enlarged 7.2mm stinger) or maybe i just got a lemon (hey dino, you know about the lemon law in ca right ?). what is the setup on your d5? i think the setup on my d5 are all messed up and hopefully i can fix that with your setup.

on the d3 i left everything stock and ran with a rdl turbo ii pipe (enlarged 6.3mm stinger) and a kawahara header. the engine response well at bottom and mid., it accelerate fast and has an acceptable top speed (fdr was about 5:1 on 2nd with a set of 57mm tires). fuel consumption is good even with a slightly rich carb. setting. overall a nice engine at a reasonable price.

data
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:35 PM   #827
Tech Master

D3 Sounds good, I would only have to guess on my needle settings but they are really strange, its something like 6 turns or 7 on LSN and maybe 3.5 on HSN. It was slightly slugish hitting 2nd till bout 7 mins into 20min final then it was going like a rocket. Weather is cold so took a bit for engine/chassis to warm I guess

The Top and pipe with larger stinger (taking away more low end) may of killed your low end torque? I am just using a THS pipe (read: Rdlogic) on LD3.
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:49 PM   #828
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
D3 Sounds good, I would only have to guess on my needle settings but they are really strange, its something like 6 turns or 7 on LSN and maybe 3.5 on HSN. It was slightly slugish hitting 2nd till bout 7 mins into 20min final then it was going like a rocket. Weather is cold so took a bit for engine/chassis to warm I guess
i think the threads are finer on the lsn with the sts carb. and i also notice that the engine needs a couple of minutes to warm up.

Quote:

The Top and pipe with larger stinger (taking away more low end) may of killed your low end torque? I am just using a THS pipe (read: Rdlogic) on LD3.
i was hoping i could shift the power to the top a little since the d5 is pretty powerful at the bottom and mid. i will mess with it again once i get the d3 done.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:11 PM   #829
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Data

i was hoping i could shift the power to the top a little since the d5 is pretty powerful at the bottom and mid. I will mess with it again once i get the d3 done.
Maybe gear her up I just upgraded to 0.8 gears and love'em. I have made my 2nd gear even taller and the D5 pulls hard. I dont know if its my pipe or what but other engines at the club sound like they are screaming while mine is just putting around (and pulling away - well at out local club anyway hehehehe).
Old 06-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #830
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Maybe gear her up I just upgraded to 0.8 gears and love'em. I have made my 2nd gear even taller and the D5 pulls hard. I dont know if its my pipe or what but other engines at the club sound like they are screaming while mine is just putting around (and pulling away - well at out local club anyway hehehehe).
maybe i should try that, but in general i don't like ratio that is too tall. ratio between 5.2 and 4.8 is perfect for the track i run at.

another reason i used the bigger stinger is i was trying to smooth out the bottom a bit. i guess either i over did it now it become really really smooth or i approch it in a wrong way. do you have any problem with the d5 that the response is not that linear ? the power just come all of a sudden.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:01 PM   #831
Tech Master

Yeah id try taller gears just to see how it goes..

I have not noticed the power coming on all of a sudden. Here is a thought - Maybe because I use taller gears so the power band lasts longer where if your gearing is too low it will be a sudden power surge as it passes though the power RPM then its all over?! I guess thats possible?!

Last time my friend with FW05 / Nova 5 port and myself played at netball courts, D5 and Nova where comparable (we couldnt tell winner) and my gearing is taller then his. 1st/2nd gear - 6.875/4.525 Vs 7.47/5.44 (thats ratio of engine rpm to drive axels, tyre size not included)

Quote:
maybe i should try that, but in general i don't like ratio that is too tall. ratio between 5.2 and 4.8 is perfect for the track i run at.

another reason i used the bigger stinger is i was trying to smooth out the bottom a bit. i guess either i over did it now it become really really smooth or i approch it in a wrong way. do you have any problem with the d5 that the response is not that linear ? the power just come all of a sudden.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:32 PM   #832
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah id try taller gears just to see how it goes..

I have not noticed the power coming on all of a sudden. Here is a thought - Maybe because I use taller gears so the power band lasts longer where if your gearing is too low it will be a sudden power surge as it passes though the power RPM then its all over?! I guess thats possible?!

Last time my friend with FW05 / Nova 5 port and myself played at netball courts, D5 and Nova where comparable (we couldnt tell winner) and my gearing is taller then his. 1st/2nd gear - 6.875/4.525 Vs 7.47/5.44 (thats ratio of engine rpm to drive axels, tyre size not included)
do they reach top speed almost at the same time ? i would think the FW will reach top speed sooner.

will play with the gearings a bit and change the pipe. i probably messed my d5 up somehow becasue i really don't know what i am doing most of the time, but hey dino, i DEMAND a refund on the d5, regardless.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:22 PM   #833
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tallyrc
ok, the whole shimming and plug thing has got me confused again. i live in florida where it is like 100 degrees every day and i use 20% nitro, how should i shim my engine and what plug should i use???? preferably os plugs as they are common.
what motor do you have.

where in fl do you live or race
Old 06-14-2004, 05:48 PM   #834
Tech Master

Both where comparable in acceleration and top speed even though gearing is pretty different. We could not tell who was faster.
I guess the D5 = torque, gear her up and let it pull the car in its power band
Old 06-14-2004, 07:10 PM   #835
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Anyone have this happen?

Was running my STS 3port mod with 30% and no head shims. I tore the motor down for a clean and rebuild and added 2 RB copper shims...motor would scream for 1 to 2 minutes and then die. The coil in the plug would be pushed all the way up and look like a little, thrust bearing sized, ball melted on to it. 4 plugs in as many minutes (mc59, O'Donnel 77, CMB 6, O.S.8). Tore the motor down again and rebuilt with the original silver shim and the two RB copper shims. I checked the play in the conrod bushing and it looks fine...what the heck is going on??? Dino???

Last edited by jjmudd; 06-14-2004 at 07:33 PM.
jjmudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:16 PM   #836
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry
Default Dino

hey Dino, I was speaking with geoff at projectzen ealier today about the new D3R, it seem to be a awesome engine. I forgot to ask him if the engine is going to be a long stroke or a short stroke engine. also do you have any pics of the new D3R?

thanks Jason
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:58 AM   #837
Nitro Tech

Default Re: D3

Quote:
dino:

just had the d3 broken in and ran a few laps today. i think i like the d3 more than the d5. will you take my d5 back and give me another d3 ? (and don't be so predictable again this time )

data
What? What? I can't read english...I'm Chinese....
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 01:10 AM   #838
Nitro Tech

Default Re: Anyone have this happen?

Quote:
Originally posted by jjmudd
Was running my STS 3port mod with 30% and no head shims. I tore the motor down for a clean and rebuild and added 2 RB copper shims...motor would scream for 1 to 2 minutes and then die. The coil in the plug would be pushed all the way up and look like a little, thrust bearing sized, ball melted on to it. 4 plugs in as many minutes (mc59, O'Donnel 77, CMB 6, O.S.8). Tore the motor down again and rebuilt with the original silver shim and the two RB copper shims. I checked the play in the conrod bushing and it looks fine...what the heck is going on??? Dino???
Too big compression will let the coil in the plug pushed and broken. If your engine is using normal plug,0.4mm shims with 30%nitro. If turbo plug use 0.5mm. try...try...
Old 06-15-2004, 01:15 AM   #839
Nitro Tech

Default Re: Dino

Quote:
Originally posted by jscamry
hey Dino, I was speaking with geoff at projectzen ealier today about the new D3R, it seem to be a awesome engine. I forgot to ask him if the engine is going to be a long stroke or a short stroke engine. also do you have any pics of the new D3R?

thanks Jason
still 14.00 mm Stroke. I will upgrade our website soon....
Old 06-15-2004, 01:20 AM   #840
Nitro Tech

Quote:
do you have any problem with the d5 that the response is not that linear ? the power just come all of a sudden.
It represents the igniting timing too late. So you will feel the power band like this ;

@@@@
@@@

just take out 0.1mm shim and try again...