R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-15-2004, 02:21 AM   #616
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by bballer
Dino, Im having problems with my rs3. As I said before, i set the car on the starter box and the engine spins and turns over, but it doesn't start and idle. I just took it to my lhs and Mike (smart guy who knows a lot about engines) tuned it lean and rich, and nothing changed. He suggested that the engine may not be getting a full supply of fuel, or maybe the porting is wrong? Anyways, Im going to take the engine apart and check it to make sure everything looks ok. Has anyone had this problem with their engine, or does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, and hopefully my engine wil idle soon
bballer
The piston could be installed the wrong way round! I did this on mine when I took it apart. It doesnt like it!!
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:18 AM   #617
Tech Regular

ziggy12345, ill look at the piston. Is there a specific way to tell if the piston is backwards? Thanks
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:41 AM   #618
Tech Apprentice

There is a cut out at the bottom of the piston on one side. This should be facing the carb so the crank clears the piston at BDC.

Usually, if a piston is installed backwards damage to the piston can occur when the crank hits the non notched side.
burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #619
Tech Regular

The piston is in correctly, but i think the conrad may be backwards. Could this be the problem? Also, does anyone know any ways to take out the conrad and piston? Ive tried using floss to get it out, but it only comes half way and i dont want to wrench it. Everything else is in perfect condition and oiled and smooth. I must have overlooked something...
Old 04-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #620
Tech Master

I am no expert but here we go: you will have to have the sleeve at least half way out, maybe all the way to get the movement required.. Just use a plastic zip tie or the floss. The oil hole in the conrod faces the crank, have this around the wrong way and the conrod bush will not get lube required = very very short life.
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:38 PM   #621
Tech Adept

Quote:
The piston is in correctly, but i think the conrad may be backwards. Could this be the problem? Also, does anyone know any ways to take out the conrad and piston? Ive tried using floss to get it out, but it only comes half way and i dont want to wrench it. Everything else is in perfect condition and oiled and smooth. I must have overlooked something...

Hope this link can help you.

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/ht_rebuild2.asp
apmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:51 AM   #622
Nitro Tech

Quote:
Dino, Im having problems with my rs3. As I said before, i set the car on the starter box and the engine spins and turns over, but it doesn't start and idle. I just took it to my lhs and Mike (smart guy who knows a lot about engines) tuned it lean and rich, and nothing changed. He suggested that the engine may not be getting a full supply of fuel, or maybe the porting is wrong? Anyways, Im going to take the engine apart and check it to make sure everything looks ok. Has anyone had this problem with their engine, or does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, and hopefully my engine wil idle soon
bballer
Your engine should be too tight and easy to die off. Try to let the idle more higher and use hottest plug. I don't think your engine has any fault. If you can't pull the conrod out now,just don't pull out it by force.

Last edited by dino.tw; 04-16-2004 at 10:04 AM.
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #623
Tech Regular

by hottest plug do you mean the novarossi # 5?
Sorry, i don't exactly understand, are you saying there is a fault with my engine? Or could it be the plug?
Old 04-16-2004, 10:02 AM   #624
Nitro Tech

Quote:
by hottest plug do you mean the novarossi # 5?
Sorry, i don't exactly understand, are you saying there is a fault with my engine? Or could it be the plug?
Yeah!Just use #5 pulg. Long body one is more better. Use hottest plug to break-in can solve many problems for you especially small size .12 engine.

If you use 15% nitro,don't forget to take out the brass shim.

Sorry,bro.My bad,...just type wrong word.... have updated it now. please reload.....
Old 04-16-2004, 10:31 AM   #625
Tech Regular

alright, i will try that. I have been using racers edge #4, a short reach. That might have been the problem. I am using byron 20%, so i left the shim in. later
Old 04-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #626
Nitro Tech

Quote:
alright, i will try that. I have been using racers edge #4, a short reach. That might have been the problem. I am using byron 20%, so i left the shim in. later
Hum...byron 20%..... OK,just take out the brass shim to break-in. And also hottest plug to advance the ignition timing. It will let your engine more easy to keep idling.

Wait....Are you using Normal Plug?
Old 04-16-2004, 11:46 AM   #627
Tech Regular

yeah, its a standard plug rs3. Are you saying to take out the shim and run w/ no shim with byron 20% and nova plug #5? Thanks
Old 04-16-2004, 11:56 AM   #628
Nitro Tech

Quote:
yeah, its a standard plug rs3. Are you saying to take out the shim and run w/ no shim with byron 20% and nova plug #5? Thanks
Oh...I see. Forget the shim. Your engine should only have one 0.3mm alu. shim. Try hottest plug.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:41 PM   #629
Tech Regular

im sorry, do i use the shim or not?
Old 04-16-2004, 01:48 PM   #630
Tech Master

Forget shim = don't touch anything
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote