R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-02-2004, 03:27 AM   #301
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: STS D5 Factory Settings..

Quote:
Originally posted by dino.tw
Mid Range needle - Flush with the housing.
Low Speed needle - 4 Turns out.
High Speed needle - 4 Turns out.
Hi Dino, Thank you for your promtp responses to the questions.

Here is another question for anyone who might know the answer..

I am running in my D5 at the moment, I did the first 1.5 tanks in idle and took the car to the track and kept it max 50% throttle for the next several tanks which all went OK.

The problem I am having after a few tanks is that the engine is stalling when I apply a little throttle (just before the centax enganes) and I can't get the engine running long enough to move the car.... My needle settings are 4,5 and 4,5 for low and high ends.. Glow plug seems in good condition (although I tried a new one as well) During the break-in I didn't modify the needle settings, and I didn't want to start leaning the engine at this stage either.. ..

I have checked the centax and gear which are all OK, so I'm sure it's a little thing to do with the engine and I need a little guidence here.. Any help is appreciated.. Thank you..
STSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:20 AM   #302
Nitro Tech

Default Re: Re: Re: STS D5 Factory Settings..

Quote:
Originally posted by STSDRVR
Hi Dino, Thank you for your promtp responses to the questions.

Here is another question for anyone who might know the answer..

I am running in my D5 at the moment, I did the first 1.5 tanks in idle and took the car to the track and kept it max 50% throttle for the next several tanks which all went OK.

The problem I am having after a few tanks is that the engine is stalling when I apply a little throttle (just before the centax enganes) and I can't get the engine running long enough to move the car.... My needle settings are 4,5 and 4,5 for low and high ends.. Glow plug seems in good condition (although I tried a new one as well) During the break-in I didn't modify the needle settings, and I didn't want to start leaning the engine at this stage either.. ..

I have checked the centax and gear which are all OK, so I'm sure it's a little thing to do with the engine and I need a little guidence here.. Any help is appreciated.. Thank you..
That means the engine is a bit too rich on low end needle,you can lean the low end needle a bit(1/8 turn in each time).And see if it's better.
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:39 PM   #303
Tech Adept

Default Nova & D5

Hi Dino, pls tell me if the Piston, sleeve, con-rod & crank shaft
from D5 can fit into the Nova RS12 S5?

Thanks
apmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:58 AM   #304
Tech Addict

Default Re: Nova & D5

Quote:
Originally posted by apmk
Hi Dino, pls tell me if the Piston, sleeve, con-rod & crank shaft
from D5 can fit into the Nova RS12 S5?

Thanks
just changed my name to Rino (not Dino)

D5 p+s can fit normal novarossi based engines (like the S5) but you have to dremel additional groove on the sleeve to fit it on the S5 crankcase. (timing is another consideration).
Conrod should be the same but use wristpin from D5 provides better fit.
Piston Clips on D5 is different size as Nova clips.
Thus if you are looking at using the p+s for the S5 it would be better to take the whole p+s+conrod+wristpin+clips over to the S5.
crankshaft cannot be used on S5 due to internal bearing of D5 is different size as S5.
However "hear-say" that some racers have success using D5 crankshaft on the S5 by using D5 internal bearing (ID 12mm) on S5. Again crank timing is another story. . .
The internal bearing of D5/3 (12 balls-??) is very strong too . .

Hope this helps.

Last edited by prawntoe; 02-04-2004 at 08:16 PM.
prawntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 04:23 PM   #305
Tech Addict

What if you got a Lave and took the lilte lip off the D5 crank so i would fit into the bearing on tha S5
Thunder racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:05 PM   #306
Tech Addict

Although most parts are interchageable whilst some parts won't, I do not see any reason to use Dragon (or RS) parts on other engines (vice versa). Unless you'll thinking you can buy cheaper STS parts as direct replacement to your (more) expensive Nova parts. (conrod+wirstpin ??).

But then again . . although they may fit (and surely you can make p+s+crankshaft etc . .fit), and unless you're expert enough to know what you are doing, your Fankenstein engine may not run well. timing's all out.

anybody wants to see the new STS Dragon VTEC engine ?
prawntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 10:35 PM   #307
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry

I want to see the new the new STS Dragon VTEC engine!!
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 11:11 PM   #308
Nitro Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by prawntoe
Although most parts are interchageable whilst some parts won't, I do not see any reason to use Dragon (or RS) parts on other engines (vice versa). Unless you'll thinking you can buy cheaper STS parts as direct replacement to your (more) expensive Nova parts. (conrod+wirstpin ??).

But then again . . although they may fit (and surely you can make p+s+crankshaft etc . .fit), and unless you're expert enough to know what you are doing, your Fankenstein engine may not run well. timing's all out.

anybody wants to see the new STS Dragon VTEC engine ?
Thanks bro.You help me a lot...
Old 02-04-2004, 11:12 PM   #309
Nitro Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by jscamry
I want to see the new the new STS Dragon VTEC engine!!
Sorry!It's not VTEC,It's VVTi.......
Old 02-05-2004, 09:41 PM   #310
Nitro Tech

Default Something about crankshaft

There is a STS thread.So I moved them to here.no need to start a new thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by pino
Sorry Dino ..and guys
I do not have time for the translation this evening ... sorry

TG can you translate for me, please??

Io ho la certezza che gli alberi della STS si rompono perch?si usano p/s nova nel carter STS!!
The Nova sleeve ?pi?larga di 0.086mm, rispetto a quella STS quindi nel carter STS va pi?stretta. Questo influisce sulla misura corretta dell' accoppiamento stringendolo troppo!!
Con questa condizione di lavoro l'albero STS dopo un certo numero di cicli per sollecitazione a fatica, si rompe!!
Nella nuova serie di motori STS, il foro del carter ?ancora pi?stretto ..quindi ?molto pericoloso usare accoppiamenti p/s nova in STS!!!!!!!!!!! Guys ATTENCION!!

Pino

STS Italia
Quote:
Originally posted by afm
I will transalate, hope it comes well and understandable
AFM

"I am positively sure that the STS crankshafts break when you use Nova p/s sets in the STS case!!!
The Nova sleeve is bigger in diameter by 0.086mm, with respect to the STS sleeve, so when fit in the STS case it is to tight. This creates a strechment in the correct tolerance between piston and sleeve.
In this operating condition, the STS crank, after a certain number of cycles fatigues and breaks.
In the new series of STS engines, the hole in the case for the sleeve is even smaller...so it is very dangerous to use Nova P/S sets!!!!!! Guys attention"
Pino
STS Italia
Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Here is another version:
I have the certainty that the trees of the STS break itself because use themselves p/s nova in the carter STS! The Nova sleeve is wider of 0.086mm, with respect to that STS therefore in the carter STS goes more squeezed. This influences on the correct measure dell' accoppiamento too stringendolo! With this work condition the tree STS after a certain number of cycles for request to toil, breaks itself! In the serious news of engines STS, the hole of the carter even more is squeezed.. therefore is very dangerous use accoppiamenti p/s nova in STS! !!!!!!!!!! Guys ATTENCION!

Pine

STS Italy

I hope it is right. Meaning is same as AFM.
Carter means "cranckcase"
Old 02-06-2004, 09:43 AM   #311
Tech Initiate

Thank you AFM ..and TG!!

Originally posted by afm
I will transalate, hope it comes well and understandable
AFM

"I am positively sure that the STS crankshafts break when you use Nova p/s sets in the STS crankcase!!!
The Nova sleeve is bigger in diameter by 0.086mm, with respect to the STS sleeve, so when fit in the STS case it is to tight. This creates a strechment in the correct tolerance between piston and sleeve.
In this operating condition, the STS crank, after a certain number of cycles fatigues and breaks.
In the new series of STS engines, the hole in the case for the sleeve is even smaller...so it is very dangerous to use Nova P/S sets!!!!!! Guys attention"

Pino
STS Italia
pino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:23 PM   #312
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry
Default compatibility of STS and nova MT12

hey I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any compatible parts between the novarssi MT12 and any of the STS products?

thanks Jason
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:35 PM   #313
LEO

hi dino! i just wanted to know the stock settings on the carb of the sts dragon?
LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:54 PM   #314
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

Dino,
Does STS have a .21 off road engine?
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 04:20 AM   #315
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default STS Dragon 3 vs STS Modded MT12 ???

Hey guys...I just looked at the CRC website, a few people have been talking on another post, about the STS engines.I am interested, but was wondering the differences between the Dragon 3 and the Modded MT 12..basic info, power figures, reliability, pros n cons between applications.I plan to use whichever I choose in an LD3 Champ Ed, if that helps.Thanks for the time
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote