R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #2596
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tuning / Engine Problem?

Hi,

I used 3 STS engine and all 3 give me the same problem!

For example:

There is a straight course. When i start to full throttle, for the first few meters the engine show that it is running gd and got some torque and with gd running tone. But than the car will suddenly move at a constant speed with a running rich tone coming out of the exhaust. This happen before engage the 2nd gear. Once it engaged the second gear, it show some speed gain!

whenever i keep to stock needle setting, the engine will be running slow, with a lot of smoke. Once i lean it to 3 - 3.5 on the high end needle, the engine gain speed and also heat. I always find that the engine is running unconsistent.

my last setting was 2.5 turn for the high end needle and 5.5 turn for the low end needle. I still find the engine is not making any power but there is still lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust. yet the temp is about 120 degree C.

What could be the problem... for the past 3 engine, i have been facing this problem!

The engine is STS d12ex with nova hot plug.
Thanks!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #2597
Tech Regular

In order to best response your question , there are few things we need to know. What specific engine you refer, in what car you are using it, what gas and nitro %, what glow you are using, what head clearance you have on them. Gearing on the car. As much information you can give, better the chances to point out your problem. Also what tuned pipe you are using.
Edgar Millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #2598
Tech Regular

Sory I didn't saw you wrote the engine.

The first thing I see that you have wrong is the glow plug, also that engine is the economy one, don't expect the same performance you can get from a high performance engine like the D3R. You must use a number 6 or 7 glow.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #2599
Tech Regular

Hi Edgar Millenium, Thanks for your respond! Here is the information which you needed!

Engine = STS D12EX
Car = HPI R40
Car Final gear ratio:
1st gear ratio = 6.683
2nd gear ratio = 4.660
Glow plug = Novarossi 7/G05 Tc Hot Filament
Pipe = K factory Missile (5mm)
Total thickness of head shim use = 0.6 mm
Nitro = 25% Side Winder
Old 04-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #2600
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslow View Post
Hi Edgar Millenium, Thanks for your respond! Here is the information which you needed!

Engine = STS D12EX
Car = HPI R40
Car Final gear ratio:
1st gear ratio = 6.683
2nd gear ratio = 4.660
Glow plug = Novarossi 7/G05 Tc Hot Filament
Pipe = K factory Missile (5mm)
Total thickness of head shim use = 0.6 mm
Nitro = 25% Side Winder
Just curious my friend. How many tanks did you do your engine run-in on yer sts?
I have 3 sts engines.. all offroads and they are producing power as they claimed and up to now after 1 year, still tight as compression concern.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #2601
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc_tech View Post
Just curious my friend. How many tanks did you do your engine run-in on yer sts?
I have 3 sts engines.. all offroads and they are producing power as they claimed and up to now after 1 year, still tight as compression concern.
I run in about 2L++ of fuel!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #2602
Tech Regular

James:

First, that car is a little heavy for that engine. Also it looks that the 2nd shift on your car is set to long, in others words is shifting too early,

Second, try lo lean as you said but also put the car to shift early. Also try to close the gap between ratios.

Everything else looks good. Also you can try to tighten up the centax a liittle bit.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #2603
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Millenium View Post
James:

First, that car is a little heavy for that engine. Also it looks that the 2nd shift on your car is set to long, in others words is shifting too early,

Second, try lo lean as you said but also put the car to shift early. Also try to close the gap between ratios.

Everything else looks good. Also you can try to tighten up the centax a liittle bit.
Do you mean the engine have low Hp that why my car is too heavy for the engine? In other words, d12ex is a high rev engine? Not high torque engine?

Do you mean my second gear engage too early? Btw what you mean by " centax" Thanks!
Old 04-07-2008, 03:12 AM   #2604
Tech Addict

Quote:
Do you mean the engine have low Hp that why my car is too heavy for the engine? In other words, d12ex is a high rev engine? Not high torque engine?

Do you mean my second gear engage too early? Btw what you mean by " centax" Thanks!
try to close up the ratio between yr 1st and 2nd gears.
'centax' = engine clutch spring (tighten more...)

Old 04-07-2008, 05:31 AM   #2605
Tech Regular

Quote:

The car is heavy compared to Mugens, Serpent and Kyosho. That engine like all .12 engines they made are Revs engines, but still have decent low end punch. They doesn't have the low end punch that OS or Piccos have. When I refer to the second gear, it looks that the car is shifting too late, so youneed to shift it early on the straight, that way the keep reving, and doesn't "bog" before shifting. When I refer to close the ratio betwen 1st and 2nd, I refer for an example: if you have 60/17 and 56/22 change the second to 56/23 or 57/22 that will make the engine rev easier on second. Finally when i refer to Centax, i refer to "push type" clutch. I you have the regular type clutch you need to get harder springs in order to get the shoes apply later.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:33 AM   #2606
Tech Regular

BTW, I was suppose to say first that it shifting too late NOT early. Sorry for my mistake on the first post.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #2607
Tech Regular

Hey Bro, Thanks for your reply!

But than i also got a feeling that it is the sts carb that giving me the problem! So I wounder if i change to a nova carb will it help!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #2608
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to JRGTR

on 2004 I start to run on parking lot tracks with a R40, the cas is heavy as edgar said but it can run as fast as a mugen, I used with mine an OS tz .12 stock, part of the trick was the the .08mm transmission upgrade and the lightweigth shafts. and all the recomendations of edgar. I think I give you one of my R40 settings on another thread right? try this and the setting and I am sure you R40 will flylow on the track
www.pitlanehobby.com
JRGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #2609
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGTR View Post
on 2004 I start to run on parking lot tracks with a R40, the cas is heavy as edgar said but it can run as fast as a mugen, I used with mine an OS tz .12 stock, part of the trick was the the .08mm transmission upgrade and the lightweigth shafts. and all the recomendations of edgar. I think I give you one of my R40 settings on another thread right? try this and the setting and I am sure you R40 will flylow on the track
Hi JRGTR,

Yape... u give me ur r40 setting on the other thread... but you never told me your gear ratio!.... btw im using the .08mm transmission upgrade and the lightweigh shaft now! And i have no problem with the gearing when i using my OS .12 tz! The car was running fast! But once i put in my d12ex, the car losses it speed n not running very smooth! So i was thinking if it was my gearing or could be the engine problem!

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #2610
Tech Addict

Quote:
Hi JRGTR,

Yape... u give me ur r40 setting on the other thread... but you never told me your gear ratio!.... btw im using the .08mm transmission upgrade and the lightweigh shaft now! And i have no problem with the gearing when i using my OS .12 tz! The car was running fast! But once i put in my d12ex, the car losses it speed n not running very smooth! So i was thinking if it was my gearing or could be the engine problem!

Thanks!
bro, get another new TZ12 ...