R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-10-2005, 02:27 AM   #1591
Tech Master

Rcosmax, which pipe are you using currently and also what is your LSN and HSN settings?

I notice that the STS sleeve is well made but the piston seems to wear off pretty fast say compared to the Novas? The novas seem to be the other way round, well needless to say I use the nova piston and STS sleeve and it was a nightmare to break in
BundyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #1592
Tech Adept

Sorry Bundyman. I dont know where my needles are at now. I really dont like screwing them in to bottom them out and get a baseline, it is just too easy to damage a needle seat/needle. I could give you mm in from flush though if you like.

I have to check on #'s tonight but i can say which pipes I have tried. First was the sts tunable inline. I was still on breakin and when I had the flameout issue I changed to a milke 6mm pipe and after realized the lsn was the problem so havent switch back to the sts to try again. I also ran a nova 6mm but it didnt like that pipe so much. seems to run great with the milke, but I want to try the sts again to compare now that I know were the tune is.

Could you give a part number on the Nova piston you used? My experience with novas are all micro cast pistons and I hate them because they wear soooo fast. I only have a little over 5 liters in the sts d5r now so no wear to speak of yet. Did you run the sts piston to the ground and then replace with a nova piston and re breakin, or from new with the nova piston/sts sleeve?
cheers
rcosmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:52 PM   #1593
Tech Master

Well, I did break in the STS engine and run probably about 10 tanks after that and measured the sleeve and piston before and after. My conclusion is the STS piston wears out pretty quick compared to the Nova but the sleeve seems more durable compared to the nova. It took me awhile to break in the STS/Nova combo I had replaced the conrod as well as a precaution. Have not race tuned it yet.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:25 AM   #1594
Tech Adept

hmmm interesting. In my sts.28 i would say the piston material is bang on with the expansion ratios giving great compression even at hot temps. From my finger spinning the flywheel in my rrr the sts d5r seems the same. I wonder if it is because the initial piston dia/size is tighter in the sleeve leaving more material to wear in on breakin and this made the larger difference before and after? My sts .12 d5r was hot on breakin even spitting rich. I had chalked this up to a tight pinch with a lot of material to wear in on breakin.

Which nova piston did you use....? did you use the sts rod or nova rod? Are the rod id bushings the same on both? I am always curious when people run different combos thanks for taking time to answer.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:47 AM   #1595
Tech Master

I am using the microcast piston from the NSR and together with the STS conrod (much cheaper LOL)

I actually purchased 2 sets of STS piston sleeve and both showed similar results after breaking in.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #1596
Tech Adept

WOW I am surprised you have experienced good things with the micro cast pistons. Maybe it was just me and the guys at my track that had bad luck with them. We had all come to the conclusion that they dont last as well as a standard piston. Very interesting.

how are you getting just the piston only?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:42 PM   #1597
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Hi guys,

I just bought a Team Magic New G4 EVO and i will mount a STS D3R Engine with STS Pipe ... can you give me information about this engine, life issues, break inn, personal opinnions, etc ??

thanks !

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #1598
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by BundyMan
I am using the microcast piston from the NSR and together with the STS conrod (much cheaper LOL)

I actually purchased 2 sets of STS piston sleeve and both showed similar results after breaking in.
I, too, am thinking about getting a set of STS p/s for NSR as well. Should I go the nine yards and get an extra con rod? Will it fit in the NSR?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:34 AM   #1599
Tech Adept

Talking D3

hi just got a D3 ran it in change the rod do l need to do anything more??
28mm
185mm
300mm
::TEAM SRGS:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:52 AM   #1600
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Thumbs up Thanks AFM from GPPMODELRACING for the great service !!!

Hi guys,

I have to give public THANKS to our friend AFM from GPP Modelracing (Peru - Southamerica). He is a terrific guys and gives a hell of a good service to his clients.

Im from Chile and he sold me my Team Magic New G4 EVO and STS D3R "Modified" Engine (he do the mod work).

I invite to all southamerican pilots to give a chance to Alfonso (AFM) to show you his excelent client service. Usually we, from southamerica, just have access to buy from USA 'cause we dont get good service and prices from southamerica itself ... Alfonso is a pilot too so he knows exactly our needs on this hobby and do his best to give us the best ...

The engine and pipe its just in my house (4 days after i ordered !! ) and the model kit its on its way to my house right now ... and 2 other friends of my RC Club are buying RC Material from gppmodelracing too ! (www.gppmodelracing.com) ...

Well guys, sorry for the long post but i had to do this ... hope to do bussiness with you Alfonso and keep up with the excelent work you do !!!

cya !

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #1601
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi
Hi guys,

I have to give public THANKS to our friend AFM from GPP Modelracing (Peru - Southamerica). He is a terrific guys and gives a hell of a good service to his clients.

Im from Chile and he sold me my Team Magic New G4 EVO and STS D3R "Modified" Engine (he do the mod work).

I invite to all southamerican pilots to give a chance to Alfonso (AFM) to show you his excelent client service. Usually we, from southamerica, just have access to buy from USA 'cause we dont get good service and prices from southamerica itself ... Alfonso is a pilot too so he knows exactly our needs on this hobby and do his best to give us the best ...

The engine and pipe its just in my house (4 days after i ordered !! ) and the model kit its on its way to my house right now ... and 2 other friends of my RC Club are buying RC Material from gppmodelracing too ! (www.gppmodelracing.com) ...

Well guys, sorry for the long post but i had to do this ... hope to do bussiness with you Alfonso and keep up with the excelent work you do !!!

cya !
Patricio

Thank you very much for your kind words. We are as you said, primarily a driver and hobby supporter, and we'll do our best to give service and support with our sales to all Southamerican customers.
Visit our web page www.gppmodelracing.com

Regards
AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:19 AM   #1602
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by revzalot
I, too, am thinking about getting a set of STS p/s for NSR as well. Should I go the nine yards and get an extra con rod? Will it fit in the NSR?
Yup, the conrod will fit just as good
Old 05-26-2005, 02:42 AM   #1603
Tech Adept

I've got a badly damaged RBV12 5 port.

Can i replace the original with the STS p/s + conrod? Has enyone tried it before? if so what was the result?

PS: Bundy - any special price?
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #1604
Tech Master

I may run it this weekend. NSR crank, piston with STS sleeve. The last time I broke in the combo, experienced plenty of low end torque but the STS carb got stucked This time will run with the Nova carb and see how it goes.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:45 PM   #1605
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun

Now thats a hybrid! I'm close to buying a sts motor probally for my r40. I don't know weather to get a 3 or 5 port though. The clubs in my area don't care as long as its a small block. Would the 3prt make considerably more power than the 5 port? Which one is the easiest to tune?
nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote