STS engines

Old 04-19-2005, 04:23 AM
Tech Adept

AFM

Thanks for the answer,but I will probably buy it from mushroom because their price is very good. The brazilian dealer will not beat their price.
I would like to know who perform the modification on the engine for mushroom.

Best regards

Eduardo
Old 04-19-2005, 06:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by eduardo_garcia
AFM

Thanks for the answer,but I will probably buy it from mushroom because their price is very good. The brazilian dealer will not beat their price.
I would like to know who perform the modification on the engine for mushroom.

Best regards

Eduardo
the D5R is the molded version from STS, not mushroom
Old 04-19-2005, 07:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default STS21 onroad

Dino, the sts 21 onroad is being tested. when will it go the market ?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Default STS D5R

Finally had done some runs with this engine. For the $$$, its absolutely great value. However, in order to extract the maximum performance from this engine it will be necessary to polish the crankshaft. I noticed the crankshaft is slightly more than 11mm when measured with a micrometer, this may caused the crankshaft to grind against the crankcase and hence the low end problem experienced by many users. However. once its polished the performance is on par if not better than the italian mills

Rgds
Old 04-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: STS D5R

Originally posted by BundyMan
Finally had done some runs with this engine. For the $$$, its absolutely great value. However, in order to extract the maximum performance from this engine it will be necessary to polish the crankshaft. I noticed the crankshaft is slightly more than 11mm when measured with a micrometer, this may caused the crankshaft to grind against the crankcase and hence the low end problem experienced by many users. However. once its polished the performance is on par if not better than the italian mills

Rgds
And also retard the crankshaft timing. So the intake closes at 65 degree ATDC. Then, the engine will have more top end, will run cooler, but will have less bottom torque. Good for mid to big size track....
Old 04-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: STS D5R

Originally posted by wangcc61
And also retard the crankshaft timing. So the intake closes at 65 degree ATDC. Then, the engine will have more top end, will run cooler, but will have less bottom torque. Good for mid to big size track....
How do you retard the timing?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: STS D5R

Originally posted by revzalot
Increase head shim?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Re: STS D5R

Originally posted by revzalot
Use Dremel to open the intake port (on the crankshaft, not on the sleeve) a little bit, usually between 1mm - 1.5mm, to make the crankshft (intake port) close at 65 degree ATDC. The stock timing is about 55 degree ATDC. Don't go over 70 degree. Becareful when you do the mod.... the $65 crankshaft might be a paper-weighted crap if you screw up....
Old 04-26-2005, 12:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: STS D5R

sorry for the double post...
Old 04-26-2005, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

Wang, can you post some pictures?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

AFM my friend,

The problem to get STS engines in southamerica its PRICING ... i contacted with at least 2 of the southamerica distributors and the price its about US$ 80 more than buying from outside-southamerica dealers ... and paying full taxes and transportation the mark stays on the US$ 20 difference, and on the southamerican price i have to add transportation and my-country taxes for import ...

Thats not good ... ...
Old 04-26-2005, 09:31 AM
afm
Tech Master

Originally posted by Tabushi
AFM my friend,

The problem to get STS engines in southamerica its PRICING ... i contacted with at least 2 of the southamerica distributors and the price its about US$ 80 more than buying from outside-southamerica dealers ... and paying full taxes and transportation the mark stays on the US$ 20 difference, and on the southamerican price i have to add transportation and my-country taxes for import ...

Thats not good ... ...
Pato

Send me a PM explaining me more who you contacted and pricing given to you, or give me a phone number where to call you.

AFM
Old 05-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Any idea when the new .21 On-Road engine will be available? Anybody using the current .21 off-road engine in a On-road situation? How does it compare to the rest.
Thanks for any input,
Smitty
Old 05-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

Just wanted to give an update on my .12 d5r. I finally had some good track time to race tune this engine. I had been having a flame out issue and was a little stumped as to where is was coming from. Eventually i realised it was a rich lsn that was doing it not a lean hsn as I was trying to tune for. After setting the lsn on the sweet spot and retuning and re gearing 1st gear on my kyosho RRR, this engine became a monster. It had every engine on the 50m back straight and at the last 10 meters of accel made the other engines( including new sirios, rossi 3/5 ports, os tz, and ns 5 ports) look almost slow.

My track had been changed since last time out and it now has a very long straight section 35 m to a high speed right, 35 m to a 90 right onto the 50m back straight. The 5 port was at home with these long track changes. It was really nice to hear people watching it run say man that thing is fast as I blew by the 500$ italian powered cars at the end of the straight. Even better to have the guys with those italian mills come over and ask about my engine and watch their faces when I told them what it was and the steal of a deal it goes for. Pretty sweet to be able to get a new engine that costs less that a p/s rebuild and will blow the doors off more expensive mills.

With the lower 1st gear change it screamed on the very long infield too! I have also noticed it doesnt mind getting hot. In my italian engines a slightly hot condition cooks plugs and cause grief, but the sts is at home with the hot temps and keeps the plugs in good condition. I am really happy with this engine.

Thanks for all your help Dino and sts team!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

I too fell for the too rich LSN with my D5 but once I realised to lean the LSN (and richen HSN) no worries - very reliable and powerful engines. I'll only be buying STS engines for some time. *BIG THUMBS UP*

GO STS !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.