R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 12-15-2003, 02:13 AM   #1
Tech Master

Default Sirio .12 with Novarossie Carb -CX12 carb fit?

Hey people
I read some people are using novarossi carbs on sirio .12 engines with great results. Do Novarossi make the one carb for their .12 engines so all I do is order a "Novarossi carb" (part# 10604) and she will drop straight into the sirio ?

I just dont wan't to order a carb that won't fit..

Thanks for help anyone.. Getting stressed with sirio engine problems and think its the carb...
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:44 AM   #2
afm
Tech Master

Hi Nightmare.
I own a Sirio S12 TRP EVO2, and had no problems with the carburator, which I've been told is the new corrected version. Seems that the earlier version had problems with the needle
o-rings seats.

What problems do you have with yours?

But in any case, good news for you, the Novarossi carbs fit perfectly, I've tried it on my Sirio just for performance comparison, and worked equally well, couldn't feel any difference, so if you can't make your Sirio carb work, just go ahead and change it.

But to confirm it is a carb problem, can't you get a friend to loan you a Nova carb to try, before you spend your money???
AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
Tech Master

You have 2 o-rings? Ive been told that carb is fixed where my version 1 carb has problems. It seems to be sucking air, I'll try a novarossi carb and see how I go anyway.

The main problem is low end seems to be leaning out, as smoke the instant you hit throttle gets less and less then there is a performance decrease.. Also at times engine will just stop (at various temps, from 170F and up). I know engines lean out as they get warm but this seems to be going way too far and I am unable to tune.. It used to go fine but now I am thinking the carb is giving me problems..
Old 12-15-2003, 05:05 PM   #4
afm
Tech Master

Yes, Nightmare, my engine has two o-rings, one on the carb body and one on the crankase carb inlet.
But in your case it is easely solved if you have one o -ring by putting some silicone gasket sealant aroud the carb base and pressing down tightly while you tighten the holding nut.
All Nova carbs I have, have only one o-ring and that is the way I sealed them.
I think the one offered in Tower comes with two. Also all new family Novas come with the second o-ring on the crankase like the Sirio, not on the carb.
Also the problem with first series Sirio carbs. wasn't on the sealing o-ring between carb and crankase, but with the needle o-rings. Do you have three needle carb or two needle carb???
Try checking all o-rings in the carb, then seal it well upon fitting to the engine and try setting carb with 6 turns out on high speed and the low end needle open until it is flush with the carb slide body. If you have mid-range needle flush and then 1/2 turn out.
Is your engine turbo on non turbo??? if it is non turbo use number 6 glow plug. This engines like cold plugs.}
Also, what pipe are you using??'
AFM
Old 12-15-2003, 06:09 PM   #5
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

if you use silicon to seal the carb, try to seal the cross pin that lock the carb in place. my friend's card leak at the cross pin.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:44 PM   #6
Tech Master

Yes Ive noticed tower model has 2 o-rings but "normal" versions have one.. Last time I installed the carb (once I had decided I had problems and it was not just my spastic tuning ability) I used silicone to try seal it in that area.

I have the two needle version, The pipe I am using is the one that came with my LD3 Pro..

It's a non-turbo engine, Ive had cold, med and hot plugs in it trying to work out what the go is.. Currently hot (wowa does it have heaps of low end power then!!)

Thats for the info guys,
Old 12-16-2003, 07:58 AM   #7
afm
Tech Master

No wonder!!!!! The two needle version was the "ugly duck" from Sirio, leaks through all needles, problems with o-ring seats. Definetely dump that carb and either get the new 3 needle carb from Sirio or the Nova carb, they both work perfectly.
As for glow plugs, stay away from 4 or 5, go with 6 or 7 that is when the engine really "sings" and temps are stable.
AFM
Old 12-16-2003, 03:24 PM   #8
Tech Master

Just confirming this is the 2 needle carb and the hex cover is not some strange mid rage that I've never seen before

Carb pic:

Thanks for input, Ill prolly get a novarossi carb I think
Old 12-16-2003, 10:47 PM   #9
afm
Tech Master

Nightmare
Following is a report on the new SIRIO S12-TRP EVO 2, and it's comparison to the old. I only could get the text of my word document, because i don't know how to post an attachment with pictures, sorry.
AFM

"This new engine is in conformity with the 2004 regulations It is an evolution of the Sirio 12 TRP which was the first production Sirio . Having used the old 12TRP, I will benefit from it, to compare the 2 engines and to see thus what evolved. With the first glance, what one notices is the cylinder head which is larger, of blue color and the Sirio initials are engraved above with the name of the engine EVO 2. The carburetor is not any more with 2 adjustment needles as on the last TRP but with 3 adjustment needles.It is new and resembles much the one equipping the .21 Sirio Kanaï. Much more material around recovery screw (mid range needle), it is in this place that Sirio had problems with sealing in the past. Still a common point with the Kanaï, the casing evolves and integrates now an “O” ring to improve the sealing with the carburetor, moreover the mating plane is more significant. That should ensure a perfect sealing. The casing is equipped with new high speed bearings, which is too often neglected in this category of engine. The front bearing is a new more resistant model. As his big brother.21, the casing of the .12 is worked from origin with cuts at the bottom of the boost transfer and at the top of the exhaust transfer. The crankshaft has now more work in observance of the new regulations. The skirt is worked with beveled cuts on the side transfers .The exhaust transfer is modified at the top sides to match the cuts on the casing. The piston is machined and not molded.That ensures much better thermal and mechanical qualities.The rod is of the knife type with a central groove and 2 bronze rings equipped with holes for lubrication. The back plate is equipped with 2 "ears" in order to aid the side transfers. The S12 TRP EVO 2 is delivered from origin with a turbo insert. This insert is very thick and deeply fits in to the cylinder head in order to support heat exchange and to thus ensure an optimum cooling. The engine has 1.5 hp and 41,000 rpm, with a more progressive power band and a killer high end."
Old 12-16-2003, 11:17 PM   #10
Tech Master

Man, I'm impressed.. I'll have to get a EVO 2 once this baby has worn out. That engine sounds soo good

I'll get a price on a novarossi carb hopefully its not too much $$..
Old 09-25-2004, 09:29 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by au_Nightmare
Man, I'm impressed.. I'll have to get a EVO 2 once this baby has worn out. That engine sounds soo good

I'll get a price on a novarossi carb hopefully its not too much $$..
nightmare ask around your track there should be a few pros that would have a spare nova carb in their tool box to sell.