Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Novarossi 321 help help help ! >

Novarossi 321 help help help !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novarossi 321 help help help !

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Novarossi 321 help help help !

Hey Bro's need some help here, this weekend I ran my 321 and it was a beast on the track BUT !! coming down the back straight it died on me like if it ran out of gas , come to find out it seized up on the top side the motor was running about 214 degrees , air temp was hot ( very hot day ) at 92. I took off my head and got it to free up clean everything up and seen that both my sleeve and piston are now scared on one side , I put it back together and said what the hell let try starting it , it fired up fine and seem to run fine so ran a tank of threw it on the starter box let it cool down and then started up again let it warm up to 170 and put it back on the track again the motor was screaming like never before. But this is where I need your guys help because I never had a motor locked up on me before or scared one like this , is this going to last ? its it about to blow up on me or will it be fine ? again I find it funny that the mother is running with more power them before this happened and any of you bro's know what or why this happened so I can make sure this dont happened again if this motor is on its last leg. Thanks for your time and help.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

usually, when a motor starts to absolutly scream like never before...its about to blow!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jakerz
usually, when a motor starts to absolutly scream like never before...its about to blow!
Dang it dang it I had a feeling that was the case , thanks but I guess I have to start looking for a new one.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Strange, two strokes seizing is common but not usually with our rc motors. Was the glow plug ok? Almost sounds like it sucked the element down into it.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
Strange, two strokes seizing is common but not usually with our rc motors. Was the glow plug ok? Almost sounds like it sucked the element down into it.
Hey Wingracer how are you bro and on the motor that is the crazy thing about it the glow plug was fine I mean it was still shinning and glow red as fire truck ! I mean after pulling the motor apart I never change the plug I looked at it and tested out and it was fine started it back up and the crazy motor ran with power and speed so that is what is crazy about this whole deal.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Since the motor is running fine now I doubt this is the problem but just in case, pull the sleeve out and check the ports very carefully for cracks. I've seen the little narrow bridges between the ports crack or break loose altogether and destroy a motor in a heartbeat. Again, doubtful but couldn't hurt to check.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
Since the motor is running fine now I doubt this is the problem but just in case, pull the sleeve out and check the ports very carefully for cracks. I've seen the little narrow bridges between the ports crack or break loose altogether and destroy a motor in a heartbeat. Again, doubtful but couldn't hurt to check.
Thanks will do.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey there big C, it sounds like you had a exhaust side sieze. Very common in hot weather and maybe abit on the lean side. I would bet money it has skid marks on the ex side of the piston and on the sleeve aswell. This tends to pull the chrome off the sleeve abit but Ive had engines run ok after this type of seize in the past. Just be sure to check the rod for play by taking out the plug, turn engine over till you feel it pinch a little. Then see how much the fyl wheel wiggles when rocked back and forth very gently. Should be ok but ya never know. If you run it again and it kills a couple of plugs for no reason, you have a rod about to break so be on the pro active side of things and check often..
Old 04-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scottyoo
Hey there big C, it sounds like you had a exhaust side sieze. Very common in hot weather and maybe abit on the lean side. I would bet money it has skid marks on the ex side of the piston and on the sleeve aswell. This tends to pull the chrome off the sleeve abit but Ive had engines run ok after this type of seize in the past. Just be sure to check the rod for play by taking out the plug, turn engine over till you feel it pinch a little. Then see how much the fyl wheel wiggles when rocked back and forth very gently. Should be ok but ya never know. If you run it again and it kills a couple of plugs for no reason, you have a rod about to break so be on the pro active side of things and check often..
Scottyoo thanks bro for that info I will check the rod out this weekend that was some great info.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Thumbs up Nova 321

Hey bro the reason the motor did that is cause the motor was not broke in all the way and allways chk head clearance hope this helps
Old 04-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rocketron1969
Hey bro the reason the motor did that is cause the motor was not broke in all the way and allways chk head clearance hope this helps

WOW never thought about that you could be right thanks Rocket