R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 01-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #121
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Look back a few pages. I discussed my success with the Mugen Seiki pipe and OS manifold.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #122
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I for one love O.S. engines. I will run the xz this year but not the speed. This will be my second year racing on road so don"t want to jump in too fast.
ALLSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #123
Tech Initiate

Hi all,

I am having problem with O.S XZ speed engine as the fuel consumption is very high and it is only able to last the most for 5 min per tank on a medium size high speed track. The engine tuning is quite lean with temparature between 125 to 130 celcius.

I am currently using Mugen MTX4R with this engine and my set up is as follow:

O.S. manifold & pipe 1050
O.S. plug: RP6
Tornado fuel: 16%
Clutch spring: Super Hard
Clutch bell clearance: 0.5mm
Spring adj. nut position: 1.2 mm
Gear ratio: 1st 17/60
2nd 23/53

Would appreciate it if any of you can advice on how to improve fuel consumption. Thks in advance.
Jeff Mugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #124
abi
Tech Adept

Default Lengthen pipe pressure line

I suggest adding a longer pressure hose from tank to pipe, suggest 9" to 12" coiled up should doo the trick. Retune mixtures to suit.

I did this and gained subtancially!
abi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #125
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi View Post
I suggest adding a longer pressure hose from tank to pipe, suggest 9" to 12" coiled up should doo the trick. Retune mixtures to suit.

I did this and gained subtancially!
Will try using a longer pressure hose and let you know the outcome. thks for your advice.
Jeff Mugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #126
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mugen View Post
Hi all,

I am having problem with O.S XZ speed engine as the fuel consumption is very high and it is only able to last the most for 5 min per tank on a medium size high speed track. The engine tuning is quite lean with temparature between 125 to 130 celcius.

I am currently using Mugen MTX4R with this engine and my set up is as follow:

O.S. plug: RP6
Clutch spring: Super Hard
Clutch bell clearance: 0.5mm
Spring adj. nut position: 1.2 mm
Gear ratio: 1st 17/60
2nd 23/53

Would appreciate it if any of you can advice on how to improve fuel consumption. Thks in advance.
Try a RP7 plug, back off the clutch nut a little as extra clutch slip lowers fuel mileage, and change first gear to a 59 spur.
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #127
Tech Adept

Is there a big speed difference between the OS Speed and the regular XZ?
dr_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #128
Tech Initiate

I'm having some Problems with fuel consuption too and also with high revs when the throttle is closed.

First of all the high rev problem. The engine is new. I broke it in for about 1,5L.
From the beginning engine was having high revs when the throttle was closed (just like the low rpm needle is to lean ... or perhaps too rich). I tried to turn the needle in both ways (from factory settings) and couldn't get the problem solved.

A guy who is racing the engine too told me, that this is normal with those engines and that this will disappear when the engine is completely broken in

I've never heard of such a thing, but the guy usually knows what he is talking about

So, what do you guys say about this?

The next thing is the fuel consuption. On a high speed track with lots of full throttle I'm not able to get much over 4 minutes!! The engine power is great, guess It can become even better if I lean it a bit more. I was not running the engine over 110-120C because it is still in "broke in phase". I was running a Touring car shell. Here are some other setup parameters:

O.S. plug: RP6 (tried also RP7 but no significant change)
Clutch (Capricorn)
Clutch spring: Hard
Clutch bell clearance: 0.4mm
Spring adj. nut position: 0.5 mm
Gear ratio: 1st 16/60
2nd 21/55

I'm sure there are ways to improve the mileage a little by changing some parameter ... but if this is going to give me the minute I'm missing
Doubt it a little.
Another quite important fact might be that my car (Kyosho RRR 1st gen.) is quite heavy. It weights about 1800 gramm with empty fuel tank!
I was always having trouble with the mileage of my other motors (the main factor must be the weight) but with the other engines I always was able to do at least 4:45 mins.

But somehow it's a pretty simple physics rule. The engine has power, lot's of power and it doesn't get the power from the air

Hope for some expert advise
basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #129
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by basti View Post
I'm having some Problems with fuel consuption too and also with high revs when the throttle is closed.

First of all the high rev problem. The engine is new. I broke it in for about 1,5L.
From the beginning engine was having high revs when the throttle was closed (just like the low rpm needle is to lean ... or perhaps too rich). I tried to turn the needle in both ways (from factory settings) and couldn't get the problem solved.

A guy who is racing the engine too told me, that this is normal with those engines and that this will disappear when the engine is completely broken in

I've never heard of such a thing, but the guy usually knows what he is talking about

The next thing is the fuel consuption. On a high speed track with lots of full throttle I'm not able to get much over 4 minutes!! The engine power is great, guess It can become even better if I lean it a bit more. I was not running the engine over 110-120C because it is still in "broke in phase". I was running a Touring car shell. Here are some other setup parameters:

Clutch (Capricorn)
2nd 21/55

I'm sure there are ways to improve the mileage a little by changing some parameter ... but if this is going to give me the minute I'm missing
Doubt it a little.
Another quite important fact might be that my car (Kyosho RRR 1st gen.) is quite heavy. It weights about 1800 gramm with empty fuel tank!
I was always having trouble with the mileage of my other motors (the main factor must be the weight) but with the other engines I always was able to do at least 4:45 mins.

But somehow it's a pretty simple physics rule. The engine has power, lot's of power and it doesn't get the power from the air

With your throttle servo in the closed position. Remove the air filter. You should not have more than a 1mm gap in the carburetor. If it is still revving high check for air leaks. If it continues richen your low speed needle until it stops. Run a few more tanks of fuel threw the engine. The give it a proper tune.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:59 AM   #130
Tech Initiate

>> With your throttle servo in the closed position. Remove the air filter. You >> should not have more than a 1mm gap in the carburetor.

Checked that, it's ok. When the engine "calms down" the idle rev is perfect.

>> If it is still revving high check for air leaks.

No leaks here. Everything clean.

>> If it continues richen your low speed needle until it stops.

Tried it (turned the needle for over 360 out => nothing changes ...)

>> Run a few more tanks of fuel threw the engine.

Will do.

>> The give it a proper tune.

Will try
basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #131
Tech Fanatic

http://www.osspeed.com/jpn/silencer/

has anyone tried the new pipe for the xz, looks very rb2604!
Old 05-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #132
abi
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seisick View Post
http://www.osspeed.com/jpn/silencer/

has anyone tried the new pipe for the xz, looks very rb2604!
Wow, looks trick!

Not sure the header to pipe coupling will be flexible enough though.

The pipe with the 4.5mm stinger is for Japan racing only right?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #133
abi
Tech Adept

Default OS Speed 12xz spec 2 due soon.

I might have this all wrong but I'm sure the OS speed site shows the soon to be released 12XZ spec 2 version.

If right, does anyone have details of changes from the current 12xz speed version?

Cheers
Old 06-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #134
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi View Post
I might have this all wrong but I'm sure the OS speed site shows the soon to be released 12XZ spec 2 version.

If right, does anyone have details of changes from the current 12xz speed version?

Cheers
yeah, a tuned version, no details yet.

http://www.osspeed.com/jpn/

comes up in the first pic.
FF25510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #135
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basti View Post

Clutch (Capricorn)
2nd 21/55

Doubt it a little.

basti,look.the high revving is made since it is hot?or from the start?
if it is made in hot condition i think that u are rich in the low needle.
try lean it 1 mark at the time and lower the idle.
when start to make the sound like tatatatatatatatata with the throttle off you have go very lean in low needle.
try this and tell us!
GREGORY! is online now   Reply With Quote