R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   INS Box (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/266492-ins-box.html)

shiston 01-10-2009 04:57 PM

INS Box

Is there any difference between different manufacturers INS boxes or are they all the same?

nitro ho 01-10-2009 05:10 PM

Yea different colour plastics:nod:

Roelof 01-11-2009 03:10 AM

More differences:

- Serpent has the largest diameter.
- Picco and R&B are the same and a bit smaller than the Serpent
- The Novarossi is as big as the Picco but blue
- I have seen a prototype R&B based on the Novarossi but it was orange
- The Mugen is the smallest but you can only use Mugen filters and that filter is not as good as you want it to be.

shiston 01-11-2009 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 5277498)
More differences:

- Serpent has the largest diameter.
- Picco and R&B are the same and a bit smaller than the Serpent
- The Novarossi is as big as the Picco but blue
- I have seen a prototype R&B based on the Novarossi but it was orange
- The Mugen is the smallest but you can only use Mugen filters and that filter is not as good as you want it to be.

Cheers Roelof :)

GREGORY! 01-11-2009 05:05 PM

how about the l.collari ins box guys?
it is picco based?
thanks!

wingracer 01-15-2009 06:41 AM

I've only tried the Serpent and RB boxes. I found the Serpent one to be a bit more restrictive. The RB box gave a bit more HP.

olev 01-15-2009 07:33 AM

Roelof - what exactly is the problem with Mugen filters in your opinion? are they passing too much crap through or just plain disintegrating? I have used them for years now since this is the only INS box that fits nicely under touring bodies and can't really complain, other than that the Mugen filters cost twice as much as anything else.
I've been oiling them with Valvoline motocross air filter oil, really nice stuff.

stefan 01-15-2009 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by olev (Post 5296383)
Roelof - what exactly is the problem with Mugen filters in your opinion? are they passing too much crap through or just plain disintegrating? I have used them for years now since this is the only INS box that fits nicely under touring bodies and can't really complain, other than that the Mugen filters cost twice as much as anything else.
I've been oiling them with Valvoline motocross air filter oil, really nice stuff.

The problem with the Mugen filter is that the foam becomes unglued from the rubber neck when you clean them. It has gotten better but is still not perfect. Unfortunately, when you run Sedan, it's the only box that really fits under the body, especially with Picco based engines, where the carb sits slightly higher than on the Novarossi.

Power wise, the Mugen box is great.

Roelof 01-15-2009 11:31 AM

Indeed thats the problem, beside that the foam will loose small parts which will end in the engine.

olev 01-16-2009 11:01 AM

Now that you mention it, I have seen this happen too... but I usually only clean the filters 1 or max 2 times before dumping them and after cleaning I check the glued edges before I mount the filter. Then on the other hand, I have seen that happen to other filters as well, I used to run the Serpent box with various filters before.

Roelof 01-16-2009 12:20 PM

I use the RB/Picco box and their filters and have no problems with them. I see people with GQ filters, they are affordable and seems to work very good.

wingracer 01-16-2009 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 5302019)
I use the RB/Picco box and their filters and have no problems with them. I see people with GQ filters, they are affordable and seems to work very good.

Unfortunately the oil I use seems to attack the rubber on the GQ filters. They get all soft and mushy after just a few days. Never had it happen with any other filters.

Roelof 01-16-2009 02:07 PM

That's new to me. Maybe your oil is a bit agressive.....

wingracer 01-17-2009 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 5302356)
That's new to me. Maybe your oil is a bit agressive.....

Maybe but I love the oil. The orange GQ filters are the only ones that don't seem to like it.

rx7ttlm 01-17-2009 03:34 PM

mugen filters work fine, make good power etc. and they seem to be the only ones that fit a sedan properly. difference being, if your running a $500 engine, why would you clean a foam filter? all it does is pushes the garbage farther into the filter. Replace the filter element rather than cleaning. I have friends that wear by cleaning filters and I tear down their engines and they are all pissed off.. buy more filters and replace them hourly or more depending on how dirty/ dusty your track is.