R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #121
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
Probably too lean in the high end. This will cause bearings to wear out in 4-5 Liters. I've had the same in my Eagle, pretty much the same engine. First set of bearings was shot in 4 liters.
With the new set i just set it a tad richer, especially in the long mains.
And i changed from Tornado to RunnerTime. Runnertime is a too expensive fuel but you will save a set of bearings with it.
Runnertime is expensive but the best fuel out there.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #122
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
Runnertime is expensive but the best fuel out there.
I know eventually it will pay back the high price by longer lasting engines, and you don't have to worry about a failing engine during a race.
But in my training and club engine's (P3L) i still use tornado, just to save a little money.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #123
Tech Adept

When you break in the engine, wouldn't the bits from the piston and sleeve come off and may get caught in the bearings, which will require them to be changed?

I usually find myself having to change conrod, bearings after breakin.

Will try to richen too. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #124
Tech Master

Might be possible if the break in didn't go properly.
Normally the so called ''bits'' that come of the piston are so microscopicly small that it won't hurt the bearings. That's also why you run it so rich that everything get flushed out with the fuel.

But if you do the break in to fast, or the engine doesn't get up to temperature than it could damage the bearings besides the piston/ liner.

Changing the conrod is normal, i use it for break in and a club race. Then change it and don't keep it as a 'break in conrod' like some people do. Then the whole idea of changing it after breakin is gone, because you will be stressing again at the breakin of a new engine.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:06 AM   #125
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hi guys,
just a small question, last race the engine was great during heats and semis, TQed the race, before the final i changed the plug, just to let you know, i hate changin plugs coz my hand has waay to much torque for any rc related screw.... when i opened the plug, my hand slipped aside while opening... installed the new plug, the engine fired up right away....started the final, 3 minutes into the final, i was leading and suddenly the problem happened, the car flamed out, refuled it and went back again, 2 minutes later, i flamed out..well, flamed out about 10 times during the 45minutes finalv.... i think i did a huge damage to the engine thread where you install the plug, do you guys agree?? the car ran good but whenevr the RPM drops, it flamed out, i think its air leak in the combustion chamber....am i right?

cheers
Ali
Thanks to all my sponsors: Modelix/Ultimate Racing, AKA Racing, AVID Racing, Stick-it1 Racing and HES
KWT-NITRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #126
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO View Post
hi guys,
just a small question, last race the engine was great during heats and semis, TQed the race, before the final i changed the plug, just to let you know, i hate changin plugs coz my hand has waay to much torque for any rc related screw.... when i opened the plug, my hand slipped aside while opening... installed the new plug, the engine fired up right away....started the final, 3 minutes into the final, i was leading and suddenly the problem happened, the car flamed out, refuled it and went back again, 2 minutes later, i flamed out..well, flamed out about 10 times during the 45minutes finalv.... i think i did a huge damage to the engine thread where you install the plug, do you guys agree?? the car ran good but whenevr the RPM drops, it flamed out, i think its air leak in the combustion chamber....am i right?

cheers
Ali
check the idle screw, and also check the orings on the backplate and carb. other than that its your tune, or a dead clutch bell bearing or thrust bearing

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:35 AM   #127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hey thanks for the answer..... i dont think something is wrong with my tune since the car ran perfect before i change the plug (5 minutes earlier) why dont you think its the button plate thread?? i know i didnt open the plug correctly....it happend right after changing the plug.
Thanks to all my sponsors: Modelix/Ultimate Racing, AKA Racing, AVID Racing, Stick-it1 Racing and HES
KWT-NITRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #128
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
hey thanks for the answer..... i dont think something is wrong with my tune since the car ran perfect before i change the plug (5 minutes earlier) why dont you think its the button plate thread?? i know i didnt open the plug correctly....it happend right after changing the plug.
FYI, i was mechanic for my friend's running the XXL 3, similar happened.
His case was the button head at the threads. I saw some pieces of thin chrome came off with the plug.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #129
Tech Master

Quote:
Did you check the new plug that went into the engine?. Maybe it 's just a bad plug.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #130
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Does anyone know who is selling the new 2649 pipe? Is it even out yet?

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #131
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris 75 View Post
did you try Rcamerica?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #132
Tech Elite

Quote:
well thats simple to check, take off the cooling head, and take off the button and inspect it.. also check the exhaust gaskets, if you tap a board and your stinger is sticking out to far you can cut the exhaust gasket.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #133
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturbotony View Post
did you try Rcamerica?
I don't know if they will have it any time soon. I asked ralph a couple weeks ago and he didn't seem like he was into it.. we will see... I want to try the sirio pipe that got outlawed at the worlds race lol

Old 02-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #134
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris 75 View Post
We should receive our first batch of the new .12 pipes with our next shipment in March. It is being prepared by Max now. Ralph ran one at the WinterNats and was pretty impressed. This will probably be the pipe we stock for .12 this year.

We should also have a nice price drop on the XXL3 and the .21 XL9 and XL7 motors with the arrival of this shipment with the improved pricing from Max. Have your dealer give us a call for details!

Bryan
RC America
RC America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #135
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC America View Post
We should receive our first batch of the new .12 pipes with our next shipment in March. It is being prepared by Max now. Ralph ran one at the WinterNats and was pretty impressed. This will probably be the pipe we stock for .12 this year.

We should also have a nice price drop on the XXL3 and the .21 XL9 and XL7 motors with the arrival of this shipment with the improved pricing from Max. Have your dealer give us a call for details!

Bryan
RC America
Will do, thanks for the info..

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote