R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #61
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default Glow plug/NT1

With this motor, what glow plugs are working well. Will a OS P-3 plug work? Any ideas?

Also when putting the flywheel on an NT1, what collet should I use. The 7mm for Nova or the 6mm for Picco?

Thanks
jland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #62
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jland View Post
With this motor, what glow plugs are working well. Will a OS P-3 plug work? Any ideas?

Also when putting the flywheel on an NT1, what collet should I use. The 7mm for Nova or the 6mm for Picco?

Thanks
GRP or Ninja No.5 or 6 Turbo glow plugs works best with this engine, you either use the collet that came with the engine or the XRAY NT 1 collet for the Nova Rossi engine which is a 7mm (I.D.) .
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #63
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

jlnd,
as for the plug, i use novarossi #6 cos our ambient temperature here is about 35 degree Celsius. rcabj use sirio with no problem.
i did use the OS p6.. last me 1 tank with no sign of deteriorating and slight wet condition

im not sure why my race buddies told me to use 0.5mm head shims for 25% generally. when i ask them, they didn't give me any definite answers. any reasons?
nazwenhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #64
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jland View Post

i used the collet in the kit... but i had to file a bit off from the tapered end. I also had to modify the clutch nut as it wouldn't go in enough to grab tighten the flywheel on the collet...
gortan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:49 AM   #65
Tech Fanatic

hi all, recently my LHS ordered few selections of GRP conical plugs, #5, 6 and 7.
in my country, ambient temperature is about 25~33'C and humidity is usually 80%~95%. based on the manual i figure out i should be using 6, but there is no specs on recommended temperature for the 7 plug. im running this motor for upcoming open race.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #66
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazwenhome View Post
hi all, recently my LHS ordered few selections of GRP conical plugs, #5, 6 and 7.
in my country, ambient temperature is about 25~33'C and humidity is usually 80%~95%. based on the manual i figure out i should be using 6, but there is no specs on recommended temperature for the 7 plug. im running this motor for upcoming open race.
#6 will be easier to tune and gives better lowend than #7...i'll stick with #6.
as for head shims, i would use 0.4mm for 25%...
Old 04-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #67
Tech Addict

Quote:
jlnd,
as for the plug, i use novarossi #6 cos our ambient temperature here is about 35 degree Celsius. rcabj use sirio with no problem.
i did use the OS p6.. last me 1 tank with no sign of deteriorating and slight wet condition

im not sure why my race buddies told me to use 0.5mm head shims for 25% generally. when i ask them, they didn't give me any definite answers. any reasons?
Thanks guys.

One more question, does anyone know where I can get the uniball joint (the piece that the linkage connects to.) Mine snapped when I was tightning it, looks like plastic, not alumminum. I think the ninja one would work.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #68
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by keavze View Post
#6 will be easier to tune and gives better lowend than #7...i'll stick with #6.
as for head shims, i would use 0.4mm for 25%...
hi there keavze, thanks for helping me out on my clutch tuning
i tried both 6 and 7, u are right about the low end. but i preffer the 7 better, i can make 6mins+ on every single tank with a slightly aggressive throttle. temperature its about 109-120'C with a 0.5mm copper shims,25%. hope my runtime strategy works this weekend race
Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #69
Tech Adept

keavze, nazwenhome,

when you say you put 0.4mm shims for 25%, does that mean that you have .4mm of actual shims.. or is that the total head clearance including the clearance without any shims?

in other words.. what's the engine clearance without any shims?

Quote:
hi there keavze, thanks for helping me out on my clutch tuning
i tried both 6 and 7, u are right about the low end. but i preffer the 7 better, i can make 6mins+ on every single tank with a slightly aggressive throttle. temperature its about 109-120'C with a 0.5mm copper shims,25%. hope my runtime strategy works this weekend race
Old 04-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #70
Tech Adept

i broke the tip of the tuned pipe today... the tune pipe did not bend it just snapped off...any suggestions how to fix it? Is it all aliminium??

any other pipe which could suite this engine well?

thanks...

g
Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #71
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortan View Post
keavze, nazwenhome,

when you say you put 0.4mm shims for 25%, does that mean that you have .4mm of actual shims.. or is that the total head clearance including the clearance without any shims?

in other words.. what's the engine clearance without any shims?
what im reffering to is total shim thickness. if u can install copper shim its is even better. more efficient cooling some said.

the small pipe sticking out of the main pipe, we call it stinger, im not really sure if its titanium/magnesium.definitely not alum. material color, toughness(i assume yours break when its hot, alum dont usually break that easily but bent instead), weight and heat dissipation rate is different.

maybe u can ask any one with plasma welding set to fix it for u.

i triend, HEC turbo(very good fuel consumption) and JP2620 would be an option on small technical track.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #72
Tech Adept

thanks nazwenhome.. that helps..

so i assume that with no shims under the button... the piston will just touch the bottom of the button with zero clearance.. similar to the picco engine...

any shims that you add is the actual clearance...

g
Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #73
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortan View Post
i broke the tip of the tuned pipe today... the tune pipe did not bend it just snapped off...any suggestions how to fix it? Is it all aliminium??

any other pipe which could suite this engine well?

thanks...

g
I had the exact same thing happen to me this weekend. Is there anywhere in the states that carry parts for this motor?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #74
Tech Fanatic

u can tryout HEC turbo pipe or jp2620 with long conical manifold for technical to medium track.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:25 AM   #75
Tech Elite

hello guys. last weekend ran in a club race 1/10 nitro, with my grp motor and pipes ( 5th race with this motor) but this time i use the grp plug no.7. still with 16% o'donnel.

honestly i did not made any preparations for the race . so during the heats the motor was a bit hot. anyway before the final got some extra time to tune the motor , tighten a bit the clutch spring nut and loosen a bit the 2speed shoes. and it did the job. the track was small/medium size, everything was perfect, the car handling , the motor , the tyres, pinions/spurs selections. ,in the main 35 minutes final i finished 2nd with 3 laps behind the champ ( with the sirio evo4sti) , my fastest time was 2 tenths of a second behind his fastest time. so it was one of the best outing i had with this motor. no flame out, during refilling it was idling steadily. the bottom acceleration and top end was superb. maybe i can lean it a bit more
RCCUTM
pemandu upahan ;)
rcabj is offline   Reply With Quote