Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Temp ok, plug wire distorted. >

Temp ok, plug wire distorted.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temp ok, plug wire distorted.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Temp ok, plug wire distorted.

hi all engine gurus,

just wana check what could cause the plug wire to become distorted (and white) if the temps are ok (and smoke is visible)? about 120degC...

piston head checked and it's ok (shiny, not black and not 'sandblasted')...

still too lean?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Tech Lord

To high compression ?
to low plugnumber ?
to high nitro content ?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Distorted Glow Plug

Well my friend...have you ran out of fuel?If you run out a couple times it is not good for engine.. And also very lean engine will cause
your glow plug to turn white or burn off.I have read glow plugs for years..Best way to tell how engine is running...I think if you check
www.amainhobbies.com in tools you might find a glow plug loupe and a card how to read a glow plug..think like 9 bucks plus shipping... Oh yes temps are just for ref point..go by good blue smoke...You might want to rich high side a little....All else
fails go back to factory settings and start over...Hope this helps...

Last edited by slawhammer; 03-28-2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: might want to richen up high side or go back too factory settings
Old 03-28-2008, 05:54 AM
Tech Addict

roelof: engine was shimmed (shims of 0.5mm) for 25% nitro which i'm using with hot plug 6.

slawhammer: yup, i've run out of fuel...
btw, if you are done for the day, do you run whatever nitro that's left? i suppose we dont leave nitro in the carb right?

Last edited by NitroWD; 03-28-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: 0.5mm of shims
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Glow plugs

Ok yes I have ran out of fuel my self..but try not too..Ok end of your day and if you have fuel left in tank ..suck it out with fuel bottle.and run engine too get carb fuel out ..then open throt and put in about 6 drops of afterrun oil ..roll engine over to get after oil inside of engine..Do not use your igniter.
now you have the engine lubed up for next time you go to use it..
But you might like I mentioned go back to factory settings on your needles and start over and use a new glow plug...don't go mush by temp...go by good blue smoke ..run your car or truck for a couple minutes making passes and driving it..then start with high side needle lean at in 1/8 turn ..drive it bring in and adjust again 1/8 in lean keep doing this..but watch your smoke..
then go to your low side needle do the same..when done adjusting might have to your idle a little..go by what your manual says for carb opening maybe 1 mm .done with idle screw....just go by good blue smoke..don't worry too much about temp...You can spit or put a drop of water on cooling head..if you count to like 8 too 10 your ok on temp....Hope this will help you out.. I Use OS #8 plug but check your mfg for your engine..

Last edited by slawhammer; 03-28-2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: glow plug size OS #8
Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

so...residue nitro in the carb just let it idle away?

the drop of water on the heatsink shld boil off after 8-10secs?

based on current settings for 25% nitro; if i use lower nitro or add another 0.1mm shim; normally i'll have to lean the engine more?

Last edited by NitroWD; 03-28-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by slawhammer
Well my friend...have you ran out of fuel?If you run out a couple times it is not good for engine.. And also very lean engine will cause
your glow plug to turn white or burn off.I have read glow plugs for years..Best way to tell how engine is running...I think if you check
www.amainhobbies.com in tools you might find a glow plug loupe and a card how to read a glow plug..think like 9 bucks plus shipping... Oh yes temps are just for ref point..go by good blue smoke...You might want to rich high side a little....All else
fails go back to factory settings and start over...Hope this helps...
I hate to disagree here, but I do on at least one thing; temps are not just for reference, they are what quite a good number of peep go by to tune a engine. Especially important because usually(not always but usually) anything above 300*F is a danger zone for a nitro engine. Also the fact that just by reading a plug is not always the best way to tell how a engine is running; blue smoke trail and temps also play a key factor here usually....
Old 03-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by matts6887
I hate to disagree here, but I do on at least one thing; temps are not just for reference, they are what quite a good number of peep go by to tune a engine. Especially important because usually(not always but usually) anything above 300*F is a danger zone for a nitro engine. Also the fact that just by reading a plug is not always the best way to tell how a engine is running; blue smoke trail and temps also play a key factor here usually....
An early clutch , dragging drive train or brakes or early 2 speed will affect temps - the combination of smoke vs plug condition is the best IMHO -
Old 04-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Temps

Originally Posted by matts6887
Well all in all said..you are some what right..But there a lot of temp device's that are off by the numbers ,not accurate..I have seen the off by 20 to 30
dergees...If you use one then use the same one..and like I said for ref..You can use the old water or spit test on the cooling head..1 drop of water or spit
on head count to 7 your ok...any MORE number your in trouble..Too HOT.. Is still your best bet Is good blue smoke and learn how too read a glow plug..

Last edited by slawhammer; 04-03-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: correction..any more Number than (7)