Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Mod'r List

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
I think somebody here gives themselves too much credit...
This year i have purchased modded engines from almost every big modding name and I have to say I was shocked to see how stock all these engines really were.... Not one single motor had any timing changes whatsoever, not even to the crank rotor timing....
I know that Murnan does and JBmods does..... how could you make a statement like that.

As for the origination of the post...the person wanted to know the mods that are done....

I don't think many modders will let you know about all the mods that they do... Most have learned from trial and error, at the expense of making some expensive paper weights.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default hmm

how about JIM HOT or JP
Old 03-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
I think somebody here gives themselves too much credit...
This year i have purchased modded engines from almost every big modding name and I have to say I was shocked to see how stock all these engines really were.... Not one single motor had any timing changes whatsoever, not even to the crank rotor timing....
I know that Murnan does and JBmods does..... how could you make a statement like that.

As for the origination of the post...the person wanted to know the mods that are done....

I don't think many modders will let you know about all the mods that they do... Most have learned from trial and error, at the expense of making some expensive paper weights.

its true...many of todays modders do not do any mods that will show any gains on a dyno..... I have yet to buy a Murman engine though, but I would love to see if he actually alters sleeve timing any, if I come across a deal on a used MM engine i will purchase it... ... So far only 1 modder I know other then myself alters sleeve timing...... a few will alter crank timing some, but most concentrate on flow mods and avoid having to mess with engine timing............... I am far from full of myself, i am very well aware of how my engines compare against most other modders engines....

TO see if your motor has altered sleeve timing look at the topside of your sleeve ports, in order to raise timing you need to cut away the chrome, exposing the brass underneath.... if the top of your port is chrome the timing is stock, if the top of the port is brass then timing has been changed... If you doupt me please look into your modified engines you purchased and see for yourself....

Also I must add that i am only speaking about engines I have seen and held in my hand, or had other inspect and take photos... I am only speaking about the engines I have inspected or had inspected, I cannot say anything about any other engines...

Its very easy to check the timing on a engine... first place a modder will cut is the crank window.. so a quick measurement with a caliper will tell you if your crank has altered timing or not, providing someone can give you the stock measurement to compare against....... Second place a modder usually cuts is the exhaust port height...this is very easy to check, if the top of the port is brass its been cut, if its chrome its stock....... and the last place a modder will cut are the intake ports. these ports are extremely time consuming to cut and can be extremely difficult to get right...once again if the top side is chrome its stock, if the top side is brass its modified......

All it takes is a few minutes of time to check if you doupt me....

Last edited by Maximo; 03-06-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

heres how you measure the crank window... I will see if i have any port pics to show a cut port

Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Tech Champion

here is some slight timing work on the sleeve

here is a cut exhaust port...notice there is still a little chrome left inthe corners....

here is another shot of the cut exhaust port, notice how the top of the port is bare brass..... Sometimes chrome will stain yellow from fuel residue and look like brass, but a quick little scrape will show you if its brass or chrome

and here is a crank from my C6..this crank is lightened and filled, well as bored and smoothed...

Old 03-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stefan
What about Murnan?
he doesnt have an xdyno now does he.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by German Muscle
Oh yes, he does, and he's probably one of the few who understands the numbers he's getting...
Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Maximo
heres how you measure the crank window... I will see if i have any port pics to show a cut port

Jeez, that's definately NOT how you measure crank timing Dude!!
Old 03-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by German Muscle
I do not have an Xdyno. I do have an inertia dyno that is similar to the X dyno. When I tried to get an Xdyno I could not get any answer from nitrodyne for what seemed like a year, so I ended up having to build my own dyno. I did want an Xdyno, but mine is working great.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Lord

Not measuring the timing but it does compare a modded crankshaft with a stock one.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Oh yes, he does, and he's probably one of the few who understands the numbers he's getting...
nevermind i read that wrong
Old 03-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

LOL its a way you can tell how much has been cut, if you know the stock measurement and the modded measurement I can calculate how many degrees of timing has been added to the modded crankshaft.....
Old 03-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Maximo
LOL its a way you can tell how much has been cut, if you know the stock measurement and the modded measurement I can calculate how many degrees of timing has been added to the modded crankshaft.....
No, you can't unless you are only changing one side of the window...
Old 03-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i think there are a few problems here. you have some one trying to explain their work, and how to measure things. then you have a guy who knows alot, or maybe not ?
now if you read everything with an open mind, i understand what Maximo is trying to explain. but its a bit misleading, due to lack of explanation. someone with some knowledge and not so willing to shoot some one down, can read between the lines and get what hes saying.
Total duration is being measured here, not port openings. the only way to measure port openings is with a degree wheel. total duration is quite easy to measure, but doesnt tell you what the ports are doing. i think anyone would have a hard time trying to explain it 100% with out some one saying they are wrong, so maybe its not best to try Maximo. time is better spent elsewhere.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know how to alter transfer and exhaust timings without touching sleeve.
BTW, please read my signature before start saying anything

Edward

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.