R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 09-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #316
Tech Apprentice

Location: Tupperville, Ontario, CANADA - like tupperware but with a population of 450.

For those who must know about timing: Taken from TDC.

Rotor open 223 deg
Rotor close 59 deg
Rotor duration 196 deg
Exhaust duration 171 deg
Boost duration 122 deg
Transfer duration 125 deg

Compression ratio I found to be low at 8.9:1. This is good for making the engine consistent and easier to tune. However, a higher ratio will give slightly more power. Careful not to run too lean or you will get detonation. Keep it on the rich side of the needle with higher compression ratios and you will have a very strong engine running cool. Maybe that's why I broke a crank. lol!
CRC
wvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #317
Tech Elite

Ok guys, I have just finished breaking in my JL Tuned eng on a bench (4 x 125cc tank) Took it out to the track today for a test. I never have to touch the HSN as the tune was spot on with max temp 130C (266F) using 25% tornado and Sirio 2611 pipe (I still haven't got 2607 pipe yet), however I just needed to lower the idle stop needle a bit and lean out Idle mix needle as the eng took a while to get back to idle after full throttle. After that everything went well, torque was more than enough as well as its top speed.

There are 2 things i m worried right now, first , upon inspection I found some oil coming from the ball end linkage of the carb , I guess its from the barrel gasket, will this be a potential problem tuning wise (leaking)?

Second, I found the crankshaft has too much play, like when you move it up,down, left, right. Even when the clutch assembly is fully assemble. From my past experience, i guess this is from bearing tolerance. My personal liking is to have a very tight, wobble free crankshaft, so that I m sure the crankshaft is spinning true. I wonder if I can change the inner bearing with OS TZ's one as it is the same size and has a very tight tolerance.

Anyhow I m very happy with the performance of this engine and I think I m going to get the non tuned JL and the 2607 pipe too very soon.
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:38 AM   #318
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
Ok guys, I have just finished breaking in my JL Tuned eng on a bench (4 x 125cc tank) Took it out to the track today for a test. I never have to touch the HSN as the tune was spot on with max temp 130C (266F) using 25% tornado and Sirio 2611 pipe (I still haven't got 2607 pipe yet), however I just needed to lower the idle stop needle a bit and lean out Idle mix needle as the eng took a while to get back to idle after full throttle. After that everything went well, torque was more than enough as well as its top speed.

There are 2 things i m worried right now, first , upon inspection I found some oil coming from the ball end linkage of the carb , I guess its from the barrel gasket, will this be a potential problem tuning wise (leaking)?

Second, I found the crankshaft has too much play, like when you move it up,down, left, right. Even when the clutch assembly is fully assemble. From my past experience, i guess this is from bearing tolerance. My personal liking is to have a very tight, wobble free crankshaft, so that I m sure the crankshaft is spinning true. I wonder if I can change the inner bearing with OS TZ's one as it is the same size and has a very tight tolerance.

Anyhow I m very happy with the performance of this engine and I think I m going to get the non tuned JL and the 2607 pipe too very soon.
Hi I just change my bearing as the inner bearing just had to much play and kept on stripping first gear spurs, I sourced my bearings very cheaply from walawala store on ebay.
goodluck!
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #319
Tech Elite

aussies1129, did u replace the inner one only or both inner and outer bearings? How do find the play after changing the bearing, is it still there, reduce or completely gone?

Thanks.
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #320
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
aussies1129, did u replace the inner one only or both inner and outer bearings? How do find the play after changing the bearing, is it still there, reduce or completely gone?

Thanks.
Hi the play was due to the inner bearing but I replaced both inner and outer and that then solved the problem. Its best to just change the two as the extra cost for the outer was minimal.
cheers
Old 10-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #321
Tech Elite

I just stripped my engine down for a clean and noticed it now can be turned 306deg on the fly wheel so there no pinch or very little at tdc so what now straight for the trash and buy another???
cheers
Old 10-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #322
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
I just stripped my engine down for a clean and noticed it now can be turned 306deg on the fly wheel so there no pinch or very little at tdc so what now straight for the trash and buy another???
cheers
Donít confuse compression with pinch; Sleeve Pinch is not that important contrary to popular belief. The question is how well it seals as soon as the piston starts to close the exhaust port and if it holds compression after you roll it to top dead center.
Place a few drops of after run oil trough the top (removing plug), then place plug in place, then roll piston to top dead center and listen and look for air bubbles through exhaust port. If thereís none, then your engine still has compression, even if it has no pinch.
The fastest motors I use, have zero pinch.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #323
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Don't trash it until it either noticeably loses power or won't idle and hold a tune anymore. A low pinch motor with good compression is a fast motor.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #324
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm View Post
Donít confuse compression with pinch; Sleeve Pinch is not that important contrary to popular belief. The question is how well it seals as soon as the piston starts to close the exhaust port and if it holds compression after you roll it to top dead center.
Place a few drops of after run oil trough the top (removing plug), then place plug in place, then roll piston to top dead center and listen and look for air bubbles through exhaust port. If thereís none, then your engine still has compression, even if it has no pinch.
The fastest motors I use, have zero pinch.

AFM
cheers guys it was running well even to the end of my last run, I will look at it closer as it really hasnt had alot of fuel through it hopefully it should be all good. does anyone else running this engine notice that after a few runs there is a small bit of crankshaft wobble??
thanks
Old 10-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #325
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

guys what are you doing with the picco manifold to fit good in the car?
GREGORY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #326
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORY! View Post
guys what are you doing with the picco manifold to fit good in the car?
yeah my 2607 manifold sticks out a bit but fits in the body ok?
cheers
Old 10-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #327
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
............... does anyone else running this engine notice that after a few runs there is a small bit of crankshaft wobble??
thanks
Yes, I think it is the weakest point on this engines, bearings have a lot of tolerance after a few runs, specially the inside bearing. Change inside bearing with the one from OS TZ, and wobble problmes should go.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #328
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
cheers
When you throw it away, throw it my way. That's when they are usually best
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #329
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Tuning Help

I am running with the 2607 pipe with Maxy 25% but unable to get the right tune. Down the straight its fast but when coming out of corners it seems to bog slightlightly but does not cut off and I am able to run a full tank with ease. Performance lacks

When I richen up the bottom end as recommended for Piccos the engine is hard to start at cuts off when the ignitor is removed.

Any suggestions guys(I have already changed fuel and plug)
jelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #330
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelayne View Post
I am running with the 2607 pipe with Maxy 25% but unable to get the right tune. Down the straight its fast but when coming out of corners it seems to bog slightlightly but does not cut off and I am able to run a full tank with ease. Performance lacks

When I richen up the bottom end as recommended for Piccos the engine is hard to start at cuts off when the ignitor is removed.

Any suggestions guys(I have already changed fuel and plug)
Jevaughn,
How is your clutch setting? I am not saying that it is wrong, as you know that if a clutch setting is too heavy then it will cause the engine to bog as it is not letting the engine rev up a little bit before engaging, meaning your clutch needs to slip a little bit before fully engaging, and your endplay needs to be at a minimum of 0.5mm, measured without the inner bearing installed.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote