R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 AM   #241
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

hi guys can anyone tell me if it would be ok to run .10mm shim on the tune with 16% nitro 10%synoil 74%metahnol fuel makeup?and if I go from .20mm to .10mm would you richen or lean the hsn?
thanks
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #242
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
hi guys can anyone tell me if it would be ok to run .10mm shim on the tune with 16% nitro 10%synoil 74%metahnol fuel makeup?and if I go from .20mm to .10mm would you richen or lean the hsn?
thanks
From 0.20mm to 0.10mm you will have to richen it, but I would leave it at 0.20mm which is the minimum.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #243
Tech Apprentice

hey sam gotta quick question- i ran this weekend and my engine sounded like something was roaring inside when the car would pass by me- i kept running because it looked like it still made good power but it came off after a 5 min qual at 345 degrees- it didnt want to idle almost like the clutch bell bearings were shot but they felt good after i checked them- i keep looking around and it felt like the bearings inside the engine were very rough when i turned the crank- they just didnt feel real smooth- so i swapped engines and everything was fine- i tore the engine down when i got home and the bearings do feel a little rough - i think the bearings going bad would make the engine overheat and not want to idle, is this correct? and if it is do you have ceramic bearings for this engine? i also need the sleeve shim that comes with this engine as i bent mine up a little trying to pull the sleeve out- everything else looks fine- if you have these items let me know and i will call and order them as soon as possible- thx
Old 08-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #244
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub View Post
hey sam gotta quick question- i ran this weekend and my engine sounded like something was roaring inside when the car would pass by me- i kept running because it looked like it still made good power but it came off after a 5 min qual at 345 degrees- it didnt want to idle almost like the clutch bell bearings were shot but they felt good after i checked them- i keep looking around and it felt like the bearings inside the engine were very rough when i turned the crank- they just didnt feel real smooth- so i swapped engines and everything was fine- i tore the engine down when i got home and the bearings do feel a little rough - i think the bearings going bad would make the engine overheat and not want to idle, is this correct? and if it is do you have ceramic bearings for this engine? i also need the sleeve shim that comes with this engine as i bent mine up a little trying to pull the sleeve out- everything else looks fine- if you have these items let me know and i will call and order them as soon as possible- thx
There are ceramic bearings that will fit the engine, but I don't recommend them, the original bearings are Swiss precision bearings, meaning a very high quality bearing, and to answer your 1st question, yes a bad bearing will affect on how good or bad the engine runs, it will cause the engine to run hot, due to friction it creates, the original bearings are in stock, and regarding the shim, if it is bent and don't have a crease then it should be fine, as you tighten the head screws it will straigthen itself, so don't worry about the shim, but if there is a crease then it's bad, also it's too bad the shim is not available separately, it only comes with the Tuned engine.

Last edited by Team Kamikaze; 08-10-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #245
Tech Elite

What nitro % do you guys usually use with this eng? I havent got the eng yet but its on the way. Ive been using 25% Tornado fuel for all my eng. This will be my first Picco based eng. I read from this thread that this eng is shimmed for 30%. I m living in a hot, humid tropical country any advice if I wanted to use 30% nitro?

I know most of you guys will prefer to use the picco pipe 2607 but its not available locally in my LHS. Is there any other pipe that is as close to 2607 in term of performance. I do have Nova, Sirio 2611, HEC 6mm, OS1040 pipes with me will these pipe be ok with this eng?

Thanks
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #246
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
What nitro % do you guys usually use with this eng? I havent got the eng yet but its on the way. Ive been using 25% Tornado fuel for all my eng. This will be my first Picco based eng. I read from this thread that this eng is shimmed for 30%. I m living in a hot, humid tropical country any advice if I wanted to use 30% nitro?

I know most of you guys will prefer to use the picco pipe 2607 but its not available locally in my LHS. Is there any other pipe that is as close to 2607 in term of performance. I do have Nova, Sirio 2611, HEC 6mm, OS1040 pipes with me will these pipe be ok with this eng?

Thanks
You can leave the shims alone if running 25%, now if you read this thread then you should know that this engine works best with a PICCO 2607 or the IDM 2617, the other pipes you mentioned will work but nothing can compare it with a 2607 pipe.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:42 AM   #247
Tech Apprentice

so there is no replacement sleeve shim available? were the evo2 engines shimmed like the tuned version? will any other shims from any other engines work in this application?- thx
Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #248
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub View Post
so there is no replacement sleeve shim available? were the evo2 engines shimmed like the tuned version? will any other shims from any other engines work in this application?- thx
The evo 3 case is machined so the sleeve sits further down into it than it does in the evo 2 case that why there is no shim used in the older case.
Stlfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #249
Tech Elite

What's the bearing size for front and inner for this engine?
Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #250
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

The front is 6x16x5
The rear is 12x21x5
Stlfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #251
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlfc View Post
The front is 6x16x5
The rear is 12x21x5
Thanks for the fast reply.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #252
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Seems that all the talk about, is the picco a good reliable motor have been answered!!!
Picco Wins World Championship!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #253
Tech Champion

You got that right, PICCO EDO modified engine is exactly the JL "TUNED" engine which Ielasi used to win the 1/10 IFMAR Touring car world championship.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:52 AM   #254
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
You got that right, PICCO EDO modified engine is exactly the JL "TUNED" engine which Ielasi used to win the 1/10 IFMAR Touring car world championship.
Now that's even better than your statement in WC thread.

You REALLY thought hard how you could make any connection between your beloved JLR and the engine Daniele ran, huh.
Very creative, but unfortunately complete BS.

As I said in the other thread, Daniele is running Picco heatsinks in all his cars due to the sonsorship deal with Picco.

fact is that he is building his own engines for himself and trust me, they have not much in common with the JLR.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #255
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg View Post
Im pretty sure. If you look at Danieles collar, you will notice the "Edo" logo. Stands for Eduardo. But he sure used his own IDM Muffler.

And after the race, a hug from Eduardo himself. Im touched You dont get thoose without reason, you know

One of the amazing things with Edo, exept him being a Helluwa mech, is that his shirts NEVER get dirty. Never.
Pictures do contain a thousand words!

JL "TUNED" is a rebadge EDO modified engine!

and yes IDM builds his own engine that is why he did not use it in the worlds, because "EDO" Eduardo makes a better engine