R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   JL EVO 3 "TUNED" (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/207001-jl-evo-3-tuned.html)

Team Kamikaze 05-01-2008 06:41 PM

JL "TUNED" is different!

Maximo 05-01-2008 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by stefan (Post 4405711)
Just think about what you're saying!
First, it's 3 degree difference and not 4.
Secondly, 3 degrees duration means 1.5 degrees when the piston goes down and 1.5 degrees when it goes up.

This is a difference that you will never be able to measure correctly. The slightest play in the conrod will give you that margin of error.

Also, finding absolute BDC is so fiddly, that you will always have 1-2 degrees of deviation.

So, take your theoretical 3 degrees and live happily ever after.:lol:

I'll stick to real life measurements and experience.

I agree its close and if your only after a few degrees timing change it wont make a difference......... I was just trying to show that I wasn't lying or making stuff up.... Anyways its not really a big deal and I will drop this topic now.....

cdub 05-06-2008 03:18 AM

question for anyone-is it ok to run marvel mystery oil(oil additive,fuel additive)in these red dot engines-ive been told by some that its not good and some say its ok-little advice please-thx

Team Kamikaze 05-06-2008 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by cdub (Post 4418317)
question for anyone-is it ok to run marvel mystery oil(oil additive,fuel additive)in these red dot engines-ive been told by some that its not good and some say its ok-little advice please-thx

I suggest using a Mineral oil based after run oil and avoid petroleum based after run oil like the one you just mentioned which could harm the red silicone in the crankshaft.

kitracer 05-06-2008 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by ck960 (Post 4400334)
i have tried cutting the sleeves, button, crank scoop and also smooth out the flows on other engines, it only feels abit smoother and not much raise power wise...
thats why this time i'm going to try changing the timing on the STD EVO 3..:sneaky::sneaky:
i wanted to try cutting the crank like the IDM but still dont know how to measure it correctly... can u please tell me how to measure??

CK

Dont Try this at home... you heard that before. :lol:
Mod engine is a Fun experience, Enjoy:nod:

ck960 05-06-2008 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by kitracer (Post 4419186)
CK

Dont Try this at home... you heard that before. :lol:
Mod engine is a Fun experience, Enjoy:nod:

hey Chris,
hows ur 220mm doing:sneaky::sneaky:
yeah mod engine is fun to do and satisfying sometimes when after you mod something then ur engine become more powerful then stock:sneaky::sneaky:
i have been lucky have not mess up any yet:sweat::sweat:
i have mod the EVO3 crank timing this time:sneaky::sneaky:
now trying to find some shim for under the sleeve:sneaky::sneaky:
will see how it goes...

cdub 05-07-2008 03:36 AM

im not having any luck finding a mineral based after run oil-can anyone give me any suggestions or any links to help out-thx

Roelof 05-07-2008 04:28 AM

Any castor motorcycle oil which can be used with methanol will work as afterrun.

Team Kamikaze 05-07-2008 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by cdub (Post 4421725)
im not having any luck finding a mineral based after run oil-can anyone give me any suggestions or any links to help out-thx

Try looking for a JP brand after Run oil or a Tornado Brand after Run oil, both works really good.

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 4421815)
Any castor motorcycle oil which can be used with methanol will work as afterrun.

Castor oil gums up the engine, specially after sitting for a while, and is NOT recomended.

cdub 05-07-2008 06:40 AM

thx sam-just ordered some from murnan-when will you be getting the 2607 pipes back in stock,i need a spare

stefan 05-07-2008 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by cdub (Post 4421725)

Marvel Mysterie oil for air tools. Does not attack the silicon and has excellent rust inhibitors.

I've been using this for years and have excellent results. :nod:

gentleman81 05-07-2008 08:24 PM

how much better of an engine is this motor over the original red dot part# 51124

Team Kamikaze 05-07-2008 09:38 PM

It's better to get one and try it? :sneaky:

aussies1129 05-07-2008 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by gentleman81 (Post 4424484)
how much better of an engine is this motor over the original red dot part# 51124

I run the std evo3 in my g4s and the evo3tuned in my g4rs and the tuned just has that bit more grunt it runs smoother, right out of the box even at idle I noticed it ran consistantly smooth abit more grunt down low and top end but I would also get the picco 2607 pipe which makes a difference, I was runnning the tune at .2mm (2x .1mm shims) on 16% and went down to .1mm and wow what a differnce I had to change my gearing cause it just screamed.I will be sticking with the tuned without a doubt unless you want to pay $499 for the nova 353 which I have seen is on a par with the picco tuned. now for me to win my driving has to come up to standard cause the engine is just a weapon!:smile:
good luck

cdub 05-08-2008 03:21 AM

sam-any word on when 2607 pipes will be back in stock?-thx