R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There was an issue of Extreme Rc where they did dyno tests of the different groove cuts. I don't remember what engine they used to test it and it may differ between engines. Anyway, the highest results they got were when they cut three grooves that were very close together and would line up directly above the center/large intake port on the sleeve. That's what I did with my TZ and like I said, felt a lot more bottom end grunt.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMD View Post
There was an issue of Extreme Rc where they did dyno tests of the different groove cuts. I don't remember what engine they used to test it and it may differ between engines. Anyway, the highest results they got were when they cut three grooves that were very close together and would line up directly above the center/large intake port on the sleeve. That's what I did with my TZ and like I said, felt a lot more bottom end grunt.
you are refering to the port behind the exhaust port right JetMD?
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Wow JSPEED, You got ALOt To LQQK for now.Better get to writen them new rules.
MHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrison View Post
Wow JSPEED, You got ALOt To LQQK for now.Better get to writen them new rules.
play nice. what if we find a car you tune i'll drive it but then there will be a rule that you cant tune for this class
Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Until IFMAR recognizes it, and his sponsor distributes it I don't think he cares...of course this is an assumption and you know what they say about assuming. Then there will be a revision to the rule because I assumed something and he pitted under my tent and we were running 17.08546789524% nitroethane instead of methane and.......................

Last edited by MugenDrew; 01-07-2008 at 06:48 PM.
MugenDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

When you are all edjucated on this, just put a few drops of Peroxide in the fuel to start changing things up too
Or if you realy want to get past all the timing and play with a stock engine, you can pinch it around the ports, shave the bottom edge of the piston, rework the case along the intake ports, open up the exhaust hole in the case......swap out the piston with one thats the same size, but is light-weight....Hmmmm the list goes on and on!

But you know, I run only stock motors any more......I hadn't done work to anything in over a year!........Break them in right and with a good tune, you have what you need to win.
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz View Post
When you are all edjucated on this, just put a few drops of Peroxide in the fuel to start changing things up too
Or if you realy want to get past all the timing and play with a stock engine, you can pinch it around the ports, shave the bottom edge of the piston, rework the case along the intake ports, open up the exhaust hole in the case......swap out the piston with one thats the same size, but is light-weight....Hmmmm the list goes on and on!

But you know, I run only stock motors any more......I hadn't done work to anything in over a year!........Break them in right and with a good tune, you have what you need to win.

Foolz, what does a larger exhaust port hole do exactly? (hole on the case, not the sleeve) i was thinking of enlarging the hole on my kyosho crf. Would i get more torque or more top end?

cheers
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:44 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
play nice. what if we find a car you tune i'll drive it but then there will be a rule that you cant tune for this class
I tuned Someones car , But he thinks I tuned him out of the park. I can't tune for anyone anymore.
Now if you show your butt up to the track, we could work something out.

Yes FOOLZ, What does a larger Case bore do. Inquiring minds wanna know.
MHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #24
Tech Elite

interesting thread this! i might get my old kyosho gx12 going and try some stuff out. will it run if it has very little compression? i just need to find some way of loading it, as it won't fit in my firestorm.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 AM   #25
Tech Elite

larger exhaust case bore, brings on more mid and top end. When you have to run a "pot belly" tank in oval, you had to get creative.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Found my gallon of Benzene, and its still fresh. Strips paint on contact. I was given two of these at the track on Sunday, you know to inspect them and make sure there Legal. Found out who the O.E.M. is and they are e-mailing me the "blue prints. Should have them today! I'll tear the new un-run one down tonight and the other one I'll strap to the test bench and we'll see what we are dealing with here. One is from an older car the other is from the Ferrari which I think is supposed to be the latest.

Last edited by MugenDrew; 01-08-2008 at 05:09 PM.
MugenDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #27
Tech Elite

i had a go at porting my old kyosho GX-12 engine today. it might not ever run, so i thought i could use a little practice. i noticed the sleeve exhaust port was smaller than the one on the case, so i did my best to even them out (got bored and just did the edges a little bit) and i filed down the connecting rod. i might try some of this on my G3.0 in my firestorm, but we'll see if i can get it out first! (stripped screw GRRRR)

so, how much should i largen the exhaust port by? a little bit? or alot?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Roelf, last head button pic. Did ya get a little tight on the clearance Clarence or did she lean out on you?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Very interesting stuff.

I asked because we're racing the Kyosho Inferno GT cars in a Spec class and wanted to gain some knowledge about the subject.

Some people have been talking about timing mods to the stock .28 IGT engine. I feel they cars rules shouldn't allow these types of mods because it is intended to be an entry level and level playing field for all.

Thanks for the educational info
I agree, leave this class alone. If they want to go faster move to a different class.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
i had a go at porting my old kyosho GX-12 engine today. it might not ever run, so i thought i could use a little practice. i noticed the sleeve exhaust port was smaller than the one on the case, so i did my best to even them out (got bored and just did the edges a little bit) and i filed down the connecting rod. i might try some of this on my G3.0 in my firestorm, but we'll see if i can get it out first! (stripped screw GRRRR)

so, how much should i largen the exhaust port by? a little bit? or alot?
if doing the sleeve port, just a little bit will help....take the upper corners and go straight out, not up in an angle, just out......
If your doing the case, I tried to enlarge it by 2mm....ie: ID 12mm...go to 14mm