R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #16
Tech Master
 
JetMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 1,172
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

There was an issue of Extreme Rc where they did dyno tests of the different groove cuts. I don't remember what engine they used to test it and it may differ between engines. Anyway, the highest results they got were when they cut three grooves that were very close together and would line up directly above the center/large intake port on the sleeve. That's what I did with my TZ and like I said, felt a lot more bottom end grunt.
__________________
www.vorra.org

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #17
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: www.moorebankraceway.com
Posts: 5,119
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMD View Post
There was an issue of Extreme Rc where they did dyno tests of the different groove cuts. I don't remember what engine they used to test it and it may differ between engines. Anyway, the highest results they got were when they cut three grooves that were very close together and would line up directly above the center/large intake port on the sleeve. That's what I did with my TZ and like I said, felt a lot more bottom end grunt.
you are refering to the port behind the exhaust port right JetMD?
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #18
Tech Addict
 
MHarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: FL.
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Wow JSPEED, You got ALOt To LQQK for now.Better get to writen them new rules.
MHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #19
Tech Lord
 
20 SMOKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HVR_ WEEKI WACHEE FL
Posts: 10,299
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrison View Post
Wow JSPEED, You got ALOt To LQQK for now.Better get to writen them new rules.
play nice. what if we find a car you tune i'll drive it but then there will be a rule that you cant tune for this class
__________________
Jamie W
*Team Tekin*Tekno-rc*DE Racing*AKA*DDHRC*
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
Tech Elite
 
MugenDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Apollo Beach, Florida
Posts: 2,098
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Until IFMAR recognizes it, and his sponsor distributes it I don't think he cares...of course this is an assumption and you know what they say about assuming. Then there will be a revision to the rule because I assumed something and he pitted under my tent and we were running 17.08546789524% nitroethane instead of methane and.......................
__________________
Mugen Seiki Racing Desoto Racing Race AKA Byron Original Fuels Arrowmax Sanwa RC America

Last edited by MugenDrew; 01-07-2008 at 06:48 PM.
MugenDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #21
Tech Elite
 
rcfoolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,327
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz
Default

When you are all edjucated on this, just put a few drops of Peroxide in the fuel to start changing things up too
Or if you realy want to get past all the timing and play with a stock engine, you can pinch it around the ports, shave the bottom edge of the piston, rework the case along the intake ports, open up the exhaust hole in the case......swap out the piston with one thats the same size, but is light-weight....Hmmmm the list goes on and on!

But you know, I run only stock motors any more......I hadn't done work to anything in over a year!........Break them in right and with a good tune, you have what you need to win.
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #22
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: www.moorebankraceway.com
Posts: 5,119
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz View Post
When you are all edjucated on this, just put a few drops of Peroxide in the fuel to start changing things up too
Or if you realy want to get past all the timing and play with a stock engine, you can pinch it around the ports, shave the bottom edge of the piston, rework the case along the intake ports, open up the exhaust hole in the case......swap out the piston with one thats the same size, but is light-weight....Hmmmm the list goes on and on!

But you know, I run only stock motors any more......I hadn't done work to anything in over a year!........Break them in right and with a good tune, you have what you need to win.

Foolz, what does a larger exhaust port hole do exactly? (hole on the case, not the sleeve) i was thinking of enlarging the hole on my kyosho crf. Would i get more torque or more top end?

cheers
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:44 AM   #23
Tech Addict
 
MHarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: FL.
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
play nice. what if we find a car you tune i'll drive it but then there will be a rule that you cant tune for this class
I tuned Someones car , But he thinks I tuned him out of the park. I can't tune for anyone anymore.
Now if you show your butt up to the track, we could work something out.


Yes FOOLZ, What does a larger Case bore do. Inquiring minds wanna know.
MHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #24
Tech Elite
 
joe of loath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,857
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

interesting thread this! i might get my old kyosho gx12 going and try some stuff out. will it run if it has very little compression? i just need to find some way of loading it, as it won't fit in my firestorm.
__________________
HPI E-Firestorm - Tamiya TA05 racer (carbon chassis, 10.5 brushless etc) - LRP Blast S10 BX - Revo 2.5r truggy conversion (in progress)
joe of loath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 AM   #25
Tech Elite
 
rcfoolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,327
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz
Default

larger exhaust case bore, brings on more mid and top end. When you have to run a "pot belly" tank in oval, you had to get creative.
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #26
Tech Elite
 
MugenDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Apollo Beach, Florida
Posts: 2,098
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Found my gallon of Benzene, and its still fresh. Strips paint on contact. I was given two of these at the track on Sunday, you know to inspect them and make sure there Legal. Found out who the O.E.M. is and they are e-mailing me the "blue prints. Should have them today! I'll tear the new un-run one down tonight and the other one I'll strap to the test bench and we'll see what we are dealing with here. One is from an older car the other is from the Ferrari which I think is supposed to be the latest.
__________________
Mugen Seiki Racing Desoto Racing Race AKA Byron Original Fuels Arrowmax Sanwa RC America

Last edited by MugenDrew; 01-08-2008 at 05:09 PM.
MugenDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #27
Tech Elite
 
joe of loath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,857
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

i had a go at porting my old kyosho GX-12 engine today. it might not ever run, so i thought i could use a little practice. i noticed the sleeve exhaust port was smaller than the one on the case, so i did my best to even them out (got bored and just did the edges a little bit) and i filed down the connecting rod. i might try some of this on my G3.0 in my firestorm, but we'll see if i can get it out first! (stripped screw GRRRR)

so, how much should i largen the exhaust port by? a little bit? or alot?
__________________
HPI E-Firestorm - Tamiya TA05 racer (carbon chassis, 10.5 brushless etc) - LRP Blast S10 BX - Revo 2.5r truggy conversion (in progress)
joe of loath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #28
Tech Elite
 
MugenDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Apollo Beach, Florida
Posts: 2,098
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Roelf, last head button pic. Did ya get a little tight on the clearance Clarence or did she lean out on you?
__________________
Mugen Seiki Racing Desoto Racing Race AKA Byron Original Fuels Arrowmax Sanwa RC America
MugenDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #29
Tech Elite
 
quietstorm76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,265
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Very interesting stuff.

I asked because we're racing the Kyosho Inferno GT cars in a Spec class and wanted to gain some knowledge about the subject.

Some people have been talking about timing mods to the stock .28 IGT engine. I feel they cars rules shouldn't allow these types of mods because it is intended to be an entry level and level playing field for all.

Thanks for the educational info
I agree, leave this class alone. If they want to go faster move to a different class.
__________________
Team Shepherd USA:Nugget's Ranch Raceway
Primary Weapon: ?
Secondary Weapon: ?
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #30
Tech Elite
 
rcfoolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,327
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
i had a go at porting my old kyosho GX-12 engine today. it might not ever run, so i thought i could use a little practice. i noticed the sleeve exhaust port was smaller than the one on the case, so i did my best to even them out (got bored and just did the edges a little bit) and i filed down the connecting rod. i might try some of this on my G3.0 in my firestorm, but we'll see if i can get it out first! (stripped screw GRRRR)

so, how much should i largen the exhaust port by? a little bit? or alot?
if doing the sleeve port, just a little bit will help....take the upper corners and go straight out, not up in an angle, just out......
If your doing the case, I tried to enlarge it by 2mm....ie: ID 12mm...go to 14mm
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nitro Engine Sell Great Parts engines. CHEAP NitroLuver R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 08-19-2008 10:00 PM
Engine Timing Issue jameslow Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 4 05-08-2008 07:16 PM
engine timing and duration guage rcosmax Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 3 12-04-2004 10:46 PM
ftrc10gt and xxxnt both with engines for trade for nitro touring with engine tony montana R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 06-06-2004 11:09 PM
Changing Nitro % - How To Adjust Carb thefuzzclub Nitro On-Road 3 07-08-2003 06:08 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:02 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net