R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Ceramic Bearnings???????? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/194225-ceramic-bearnings.html)

CDS70 12-04-2007 07:05 PM

Ceramic Bearnings????????

Hi Guys,

Looking for your opinions on ceramic bearing.

I have a couple of novarossi based 12 and 21 engines and I'm just trying to find an alternative to the genuine novarossi ceramic bearings.

Does anyone have any opinions, advice or reasonable suppliers who may help me out with good quality ceramic bearings to fit these motors.

Cheers

Roelof 12-04-2007 10:56 PM

Boca has ceramic bearings fitting Novarossi but believe me you are better off with normal steel bearings. Getting ceramic bearings (even from Novarossi) you will create the chance having a splitted ceramic ball damaging the engine.

The difference in performance is not realy noticeable.

TomB 12-04-2007 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 3940013)
Boca has ceramic bearings fitting Novarossi but believe me you are better off with normal steel bearings. Getting ceramic bearings (even from Novarossi) you will create the chance having a splitted ceramic ball damaging the engine.

The difference in performance is not realy noticeable.

the engine does rev higher. If you want a crazy reving engine get a ceramic front and rear:sneaky: but don't expect it to last longer than 3 months;)

JayL 12-05-2007 10:03 AM

AFAIK Murnan has the best ceramic bearing sets.

Taylorm 12-05-2007 10:27 AM

go to www.globalspec.com ,register, then search for bearings or ceramic bearings. i love this site, you can find anything you need...............:nod:

carletto 12-05-2007 01:14 PM

ceramic bearings

...we are specialized in modifing Picco engines, but if you wont, we realize bearings on demands.
Ciao
Carletto
www.wpengines.com

CDS70 12-05-2007 04:14 PM

Thanks guys.

I'll have a look at those sites.

TomB, I'm not convinced I should only expect 3 months out of a set. Not saying you're wrong, I'm just not convinced. Why do you say they will only last 3 months? :confused::confused:

Anyone else got some good recommendations for me?

CKmaxx 12-05-2007 09:15 PM

TKO ceramics are the best.......nuff said

http://www.tkocompetitiondev.com/shop/

jca2000au 12-05-2007 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by CDS70 (Post 3942371)
Thanks guys.

TomB, I'm not convinced I should only expect 3 months out of a set. Not saying you're wrong, I'm just not convinced. Why do you say they will only last 3 months? :confused::confused:

CDS70,

Tell me why do you think you need ceramic bearings?

RayJ 12-06-2007 05:25 AM

Ceramic Engine Bearings

One draw back with ceramic bearings is that they can fracture. The ceramic balls are not malleable like steel balls. If one of the balls fatigues and fractures your engine is toast. Ceramic Bearings will give you slightly faster spool up times and afew more rev's. The area where the most wear occurs on ceramic bearings is the ball races. The balls are ultra hard, and at high speed they can skid along the ball races and cause them to overheat. If you run an engine to lean for extended time this is where problems can occurr.

TomB 12-06-2007 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by CDS70 (Post 3942371)
Thanks guys.

ages ago, i had a novarossi which i installed two front and rear boca bearings to, it only lasted about 3 months of moorebank racing before it started getting play. :cry: it was quick while it lasted, but im not sure the extra speed and revs was worth the cost.

CDS70 12-06-2007 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jca2000au (Post 3943631)
CDS70,

Tell me why do you think you need ceramic bearings?

JCA2000AU,

there are many reasons which are varied and complexed, particularly when dealing with these types of engines which I'm sure you can appreciate. To name a few ceramic bearings are far lighter which results in increased and faster spooling, thus reaching max RPM in the shortest controlled time. Because they are lighter the also provide less rotating mass which as you would know is where a large proportion of power is lost in these cars.

Utilised under the appropriate conditions ceramic bearings 'should' provide a longer lasting bearing.

I do agree that if a ceramic bearing does fail then the effects on the engine are almost always fatal, but as I said under the appropriate conditions they should last longer.

Hope this helps JCA2000AU.

Regards

CKmaxx 12-06-2007 09:49 PM

I hear of more steel ball bearing failures than I do ceramic...

Roelof 12-06-2007 10:55 PM

As I did noticed before the advantage of using ceramic bearings is hardly noticeable. If you are not close to the toptimes of the topdrivers then ceramic will not help to go faster and in the hands of a fast driver it will give maybe 0.1 sec faster times.

Steel bearing failing is true but no balls will split and damage the engine.

The main problem is that quality and tolerances come with its price, believe me an expencive good quality steel bearing works better than a cheap low quality ceramic bearing.