R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Dead plug=too lean? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/191117-dead-plug%3Dtoo-lean.html)

keavze 11-16-2007 05:51 AM

Dead plug=too lean?

hi all,
below is what i've experienced and still couldnt figure out...20% nitro used:

1. my glow plug went dead after my tank of nitro is used up
2. my glow plug went dead after i crashed and engine stalled
3. 3 different temperature plugs were used but still same results

what could've gone wrong? engine too lean? :weird:

TeeKuang 11-16-2007 07:56 AM

what engine are you using? what is the manufacturer's recommendation on nitro% ? I think you should dismantle your engine, check for excessive wear parts, maybe it's due to metal shavings particle.

flack 11-16-2007 08:48 AM

Did you look at the plug when you determined it was "dead"?

1. If plug end is grey / wire broke...probably to lean

2. If plug end is really oily (dark) wire intact....probably to rich (plug fouled)

When you hit on a good fuel / air mixture for the engine a new plug will be slightly brown on the end.

It may be a good idea to disassemble your engine and flush it out very well with denatured alcohol or fuel just in case you do have some shavings or glow plug filaments in the case.

Doug

keavze 11-16-2007 08:59 PM

mine is the OS 12TZ 5P...

i found the plug dead when i couldn't re-start the engine, remove plug and found the plug wire not glowing when using the plug ignitor.

the plug wire was intact (grey in color) and the plug was abit oily but brownish in color.

i'll giv the enigne a cleanup to try again, thanks for all yr advises/comments. :D

asw7576 11-19-2007 09:56 PM

Your High Speed Needle is too lean.

Open your HSN by 1 to 1.5 of full turn, and start re-adjusting Low Speed Needle and Idle Needle if necessary.

Don't forget your shim gasket ( underneath button head ) should follow the original setting.

keavze 11-22-2007 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by asw7576 (Post 3885281)
Your High Speed Needle is too lean.

Open your HSN by 1 to 1.5 of full turn, and start re-adjusting Low Speed Needle and Idle Needle if necessary.

Don't forget your shim gasket ( underneath button head ) should follow the original setting.

HSN too lean? the setting is richer than stock setting already...:weird:
shims has not been removed before. ;)

anyway, right now it's not 'eating' any plugs but i found the top speed has not been what it used to be, but the lowend speed seems ok... :confused:
compression seems weaker too.

Roelof 11-22-2007 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by keavze (Post 3893460)
HSN too lean? the setting is richer than stock setting already...:weird:

And that kind of thinking is your problem. Good tuning has all to do with the flowspeed of the fuel which depends on the thickness of the fuel and the pressure from the exhaust to the tank. Both are depending on brand and type so it is no steady given number.

Stocksetting is only a starting point, from there you have to tune to the correct settings.