R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 10-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default help with removing screws from engine head

any tips for the aboved?
two out of four screws connecting the crankcase and cooling head allen head screws are stripped.
please share how can i remove them
Old 10-26-2007, 12:56 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

The easiest way I have found is to just drill the heads off like you would when removing a rivet. Then you can lift the heat sink off and un-screw whats left of the bolt with vice grips, or equiv.
Vic Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:01 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This may sound dumb but make sure you're using metric allen drivers. Also, make sure the allen driver has nice sharp edges on it. If it looks worn, take it to a grinder (or dremel will work) and cut the worn part off. If it's a ball head, get a flat one and try that. If it still don't work, i've used a dremel before to cut the head of the bolts off from the side. You'll scratch the cooling head somewhat but you gotta do what you gotta do. That's why I don't loc-tite those bolts. Just gotta remember to check them every race.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

wow, great tips..tks so much, i manage to get the screw out, but this time i stripped the screw thread in one of the four holes below the rear exhaust, back plate, if thats what it's called. i used too much force while tightening screw

do i have to change the whole crankcase because of 1 loose hole?. it sounds expensive to do so

share some tips guys
Old 10-30-2007, 01:17 AM   #5
Tech Adept

I've been running an old Nova with 2 screws for sometime with no leaks
ShrekNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

You can use what's called a Heli-Coil threaded insert to repair the threads. I recently bought a 4-40 set that included the special tap, 10 inserts and installation tool for about $31.00 U.S.

I got it from McMaster-Carr

They also come in metric sizes.
Vic Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #7

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigns View Post
any tips for the aboved?
two out of four screws connecting the crankcase and cooling head allen head screws are stripped.
please share how can i remove them
Here's a cool little tip for those trying to get out a rounded socket head screw (allen type) (and I think it might work for flat blade type as well).

Get some coarse valve lapping compound at the local auto parts store (clover is a popular brand) and coat the tip of your hex tool with it. Try and remove screw. If it is still stuck, try and heat the head to 200 deg with heat gun. That should do the trick.

The carbide in the lapping compound will decrease the gap and also increase the grip of the tool.

Give it a try before hacking the head off with a dremell.

BK
mxwrench is offline   Reply With Quote