Wiki Posts
Search

Did I hurt my motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Did I hurt my motor?

I took my Aftershock mud running about a week ago. It ran fine but after a while it died out. I had thought that it ran out of fuel so I just took it back to the car and went home. Last night I took the motor apart and noticed that there was a little surface rust on the crank. I was just wandering if I have hurt my motor any Here's a few pic's, I had tried to polish the rust off before I took the pic's so a little of it is gone.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Need more info. Did you put fuel in it and try to start it? Check the plug? The rust could be from not using after run oil or you got water in the engine.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
Need more info. Did you put fuel in it and try to start it? Check the plug? The rust could be from not using after run oil or you got water in the engine.
I have not ran it since that day, and the plug look's great.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You engine looks A1 mate
Old 08-31-2007, 12:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

6000 grit sandpaper to get the rust out. Put the engine back together,use some silicon sealant at the bottom of the heatsink and at the backplate. Double spring on your manifold. Be sure to change the glow plug and have at it.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
6000 grit sandpaper to get the rust out. Put the engine back together,use some silicon sealant at the bottom of the heatsink and at the backplate. Double spring on your manifold. Be sure to change the glow plug and have at it.
1.Those rust spots dont warrent sanding back
2. Why use silicon, replace O rings if necessary
Old 08-31-2007, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PROVK
1.Those rust spots dont warrent sanding back
2. Why use silicon, replace O rings if necessary
He said he used oil and those rust spots are whats left. 6000 grit is very fine and wont scratch, just work the surface where the rust is. Why replace the o-rings? He didnt say he was flaming out or going from rich to lean. He is mud bogging. The silicon at the bottom of the heatsink and at the back plate is to give it an additional seal,preventing water from seaping in and any air from escaping....I think I have seen a pro or two or a THOUSAND do this What do o-rings have to do with anything? He didnt say he had carb problems
Old 08-31-2007, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Silicone at the base of the Heatsink? Sounds nuts to me. The combustion chamber is sealed by the head gaskets/shims & proper torque of the head bolts. If those loosened & leaked, the only purpose the silicone could have, would be to mask the problem temporarily. It could not possibly contain the combustion pressures.
The slight surface rust on the counterweight, is nothing to worry about. Just be carefull not to nick the crank pin when cleaning up the rust.
Engine may have died from getting the air filter clogged or soaked. The rust on the crank, probably had nothing to do with your mud bogging.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by duneland
Silicone at the base of the Heatsink? Sounds nuts to me. The combustion chamber is sealed by the head gaskets/shims & proper torque of the head bolts. If those loosened & leaked, the only purpose the silicone could have, would be to mask the problem temporarily. It could not possibly contain the combustion pressures.
The slight surface rust on the counterweight, is nothing to worry about. Just be carefull not to nick the crank pin when cleaning up the rust.
Engine may have died from getting the air filter clogged or soaked. The rust on the crank, probably had nothing to do with your mud bogging.
Sounds nuts? He bolts on the head in the criss cross pattern and to ensure the seal is absolute, he applies a light coat of silicon around the bottom......that sounds nuts? If he is thrashing, the silicon will not mask a problem, but keep a seal long enough IN CASE the bolts loosen. If the bolts do loosen, imagine the gook and grime that could get inside WITHOUT the silicon? It wont act as an adhesive if the bolts loosen anyways, and the engine wont hold the tune as well. Doing a check, he might notice the break in the seal. And, the purpose of the silicon is to provide an additional seal, not stop rust. In that case, why do so many pros silicon seal the back plate????? I think I read it somewhere to give a better seal....oh, er, um uh, thats what I thought.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Wow....a little advice is all that they guy wanted. I race onroad and I use "Airseal" to seal the engine EVERY TIME I take an engine apart and put it together. Ever heard...and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? The silocon around the head, or a silicon O-ring works well to keep the dirt out of the engine when you pull it apart too.

I read this in another post, thought I would share it:

I stopped posting on RCtech for a while because no matter what you do, thier is somebody wanting to question what you do, try to make you look stupid, or just don't understand the point your trying to make. What works for one person, doesn't mean it won't work for another. If you look through rctech, you will see that about 90% of the threads, somebody is trying to discredit what one person or another is doing. If those who think that they know best, would post what they do, instead of questioning what others do, maybe, just maybe, they would be helpful instead of confusing the individual that is looking for advice.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
Wow....a little advice is all that they guy wanted. I race onroad and I use "Airseal" to seal the engine EVERY TIME I take an engine apart and put it together. Ever heard...and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? The silocon around the head, or a silicon O-ring works well to keep the dirt out of the engine when you pull it apart too.

I read this in another post, thought I would share it:

I stopped posting on RCtech for a while because no matter what you do, thier is somebody wanting to question what you do, try to make you look stupid, or just don't understand the point your trying to make. What works for one person, doesn't mean it won't work for another. If you look through rctech, you will see that about 90% of the threads, somebody is trying to discredit what one person or another is doing. If those who think that they know best, would post what they do, instead of questioning what others do, maybe, just maybe, they would be helpful instead of confusing the individual that is looking for advice.

Amen! The silicone thing is right on!
Old 09-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

rcfoolz, picco, thanks fellas. Airseal, whats its base?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
rcfoolz, picco, thanks fellas. Airseal, whats its base?
Not totaly sure, silocon-latex-rubber?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Didn't mean to get anyone upset. Like mentioned earlier, a guy wanted some help, and most suggestions were good ones.
Some actions (while well intentioned) are a bit over the top, or even counterproductive.
I am not making any personal attacks, and certainly, differing opinions should not be reason to stop posting.
Silicone at the base of the heatsink/head, will not contain combustion pressure. No point to this practice. If you believe otherwise, then by all means go for it!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

I think Airseal is a silicone based product. Racers Choice was the manufacturer, but I cannot find it in my cataloques anymore. Seems to be discontinued. Perhaps someone else knows where it can be obtained. In the meantime, high temp silicone rtv is a suitable substitute. The Airseal was thinner and easier to apply though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.