R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Axial .28 Spec 1S (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/172647-axial-28-spec-1s.html)

p_mihai_ro 07-16-2007 07:04 AM

Axial .28 Spec 1S

Questions on the middle speed needle....

1. Why is it there? I mean, given that the MSN is hosting the spray bar for the LSN, why would we tune using the MSN and not the LSN?

2. How to tune the MSN (that is, if it really has an effect on performance).

Now here's my actual problem:
I have an Axial 28 Spec 1S, broken in (about 1.5 quarts trough it). i have tuned it, what happends is that I can tune the LSN so it has tremendous acceleration (it's in a LST PRO-R truggy)., but it seems to me that it looses power in the midrange, and the high speed is not so good (compared with my OS 21 VG).

I was thinking to richen the LSN and lean the HSN, but i'm afraid of the temps. Right now it idles at just above 200, and high temp s about 265. I'm using Duratrax temp gun. This is in a very hot day (about 100 in the shade)

I am using MC-8 cold glow plug (manual instructed to use cold). Should I try a Medium-cold (i have a ODonnel sitting around)? What glowplugs are u using?

Thanks.

p_mihai_ro 07-16-2007 11:25 AM

heelp

Come on guys, nobody can help?

loopedout 07-16-2007 07:01 PM

dont touch the mid range needle, it should be flush with the carb body. just tune the engine like normal, set needles to factory positions, set top end, set low end etc. there are a couple of incredible tuning threads on this site, use those. my axials are crazy fast and all the spec 1s 28's come off the track around 220-230 and are making great power. see www.axialracing.com or the paper that came with your engine for basic help.

p_mihai_ro 07-17-2007 05:55 AM

What are u using?

loopedout, thanks for the reply.

Tell me what are u using with the engine: Glow plug, fuel. What are the outside temps and humidity level when the engine runs at 230?
The runs i had were in a very hot day (above 100) and very humid (close to 100%).... i'm near DC.

loopedout 07-17-2007 07:43 PM

not sure on specific humidity but last saturday it was around 95 and ungodly humid, in just about all weather except for cold weather I run HPI R5 cold or Axial cold 5 plugs with no problem, and we are using 30% Byrons Oh yeah and ive tried just about every pipe out there and an 086 makes these things run great, I use the dynamite 086 on mine, they are around 40 on ebay for a pipe and header and hold up well. Let me know if you need any other help I know the axial 28 spec 1 and the 28 RR motor inside out and upside down.

Jason Halvorson 07-26-2007 09:21 PM

i just picked up a MBX5T with a spec1 .28 and am planning to run 30% byrons with a MC8 cold plug....what i was wondering is how this engine will compare with the hi dollar engines like the RB928, NOVA 528 and Werks B728PRO....can it compete????

loopedout 08-01-2007 07:14 AM

with the right pipe and tuned right, yes, just wont last as long as the Italian engines.

p_mihai_ro 08-01-2007 11:58 AM

sent to service... :(

Just an update,

Seems that there were really big problems with the front bearing, it wasn't just letting air in, it was also letting dirt in, and letting oil out (engine out of the car, on the workbench).
Also, the high speed needle plastic adjustment collar came loose, the backplate is cracked, the rubber o-ring from the backplate broke, and so on.

I've sent the engine back to Axial, maybe they'll figure out what went wrong.

Loopedout, what's your experience with the Axial support? I really hope they will replace the whole thing, with so many broken parts.

Thanks..