Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Glow igniter battery ___ Ni-Cd discharge >

Glow igniter battery ___ Ni-Cd discharge

Old 06-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi everyone - This is my first post here.

My glow plug igniter has a NiCd battery, and I occasionally go a couple of weeks between races (freakin rain or weddings or whatever) and would like to get that battery discharged so it does not sit and lose performance with the dreaded memory effect.

I would also need to cycle it at the beginning of the season, and I know it's just a glowplug igniter battery so who cares about performance, but you gotta take care of your gear if you want it to work properly, right?

I smoked an igniter by putting a burnt out glow plug in there and letting it sit ... it happened quickly! It seems (unless the igniter was faulty to begin with) that letting it drain on an old plug is not a good idea unless it's almost drained at the end of a race day. Any one have any good techniques or tools (I have a futaba discharger for my Tx and Rx packs) that can discharge my igniter for me?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Last edited by Zen of Speed; 06-02-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zen of Speed
I would also need to cycle it at the beginning of the season, and I know it's just a glowplug igniter battery so who cares about performance, but you gotta take care of your gear if you want it to work properly, right?
Grab a 6v bulb of a size similar to a plug and put it until it goes off completely. Is the most you can do, is a loose cell, so it cannot be unbalaced to other cells, put a Ni-Mh and you'll avoild almost all the memory effect too.