wont hit top speed

Old 05-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default wont hit top speed

hi im sorta a noob but really hoping i dont need a new engine

i built a little rc car with my uncle bout 5 years back and just pulled it out from the back of the garage 5ish days ago. its a simple car that he bought and im not sure the engine size but all it says on it is "15 FE nitro star"

anyway i clean up the engine best i could and today i actually got it to fire up and run. need less to say it ran like crap but would go to full power. will i worked on getting the battary back to stay in its little holder with zip ties and took her back out. she works

however it will not go up to full power. i can rev it up and it will act like its going to go to full power but dies and doesnt come close and just goes down to if i were barely hold the accelerator.

i tried playing with the carb a bit but still wont go to full power.

so basically i dont know if just 4 years of sitting around screwed the engine and she's cooked and wont ever get up to full speed or if their is something i can look at and fix/adjust.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The first thing I would do (if you haven't done it yet) is replace the glow plug, and use fresh fuel. That will at least eliminate some variables.

If the car still won't get up to top rpm, then I would look at the high speed needle. Is it blowing a lot of smoke at WOT (wide open throttle)? Leaning the main needle down will get it up to max rpm faster, and with less smoke. Just remember to tune a little at a time, and smoke means 'rich', and 'rich' is a good thing for these engine.

If this is ok, then I would look at the clutch and drivetrain to see if anything is bound up.

Hope some of this helps.

-Steve
Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

If it has sat for that long, the seals may have dried up/gummed up and it may just need a carb rebuild. An air leak will lean it out and it won't reach full power it will just cut out and die. You can take the carb apart and put new o-rings on the needles and a new seal on the carb base, etc. Soak all of the parts in some fresh fuel to clean them really well before rebuilding it.