R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Header springs breaking with Orion Wasp crf (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/151811-header-springs-breaking-orion-wasp-crf.html)

MRX4-R03 02-28-2007 04:27 AM

Header springs breaking with Orion Wasp crf

I was wondering if anybody here has had there header springs break when using the orion wasp engine.
I just installed a orion wasp .12 engine and have gone threw 4 springs this weekend also another guy said he has had the same problem, just wanted to know what is causing this problem, header and pipe seem ok no sign of impact,s or hits it just seems odd..

Artificial-I 02-28-2007 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by MRX4-R03
I was wondering if anybody here has had there header springs break when using the orion wasp engine.
I just installed a orion wasp .12 engine and have gone threw 4 springs this weekend also another guy said he has had the same problem, just wanted to know what is causing this problem, header and pipe seem ok no sign of impact,s or hits it just seems odd..

I have a lot of problems with all header springs , there all weak and brake easily. I found that STS seems to have the strongest springs ive come across. For both the pipe and the header to pipe small springs. They seem to carry more tension are thicker and can resist snapping. Another thing is I just dealt with some issues on my TZ. What you want to do is make sure your not trying to get all the slack on one side , make sure to pull equally on both sides to get yourself the correct amount of room. Takes a little more time but this seems to give it the room needed to not snap.

rmdhawaii 02-28-2007 05:45 PM

What springs are you using? I'm using the OS 72106172 springs (photo) on all my engines, including my CRF. I can't really remember anymore (since it's been so long since I noticed), but I thought the crankcase on the CRF was larger than theTZ's... ?

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
What you want to do is make sure your not trying to get all the slack on one side , make sure to pull equally on both sides to get yourself the correct amount of room. Takes a little more time but this seems to give it the room needed to not snap.

:nod: :nod:

This can definitely be a problem. On any engine, the spring can easily get hung up between the carb and the crankcase. As a result, there is much more tension on one side of the spring than on the other as A.I indicated. You have to pull it up and out first, ensuring that it doesn't get hung up, before bringing it around and connecting it.

A.I. - Do you have a part number handy for that header STS spring? I wouldn't mind giving it a try. Thanks! :)

MRX4-R03 02-28-2007 06:25 PM

I have been using the skyline springs, but it just seems weird that it has just been with tihs engine,, and not the other engines, and yes I do have equal length on both side's we will just see what happens

rmdhawaii 02-28-2007 06:27 PM

I have been using the skyline springs, but it just seems weird that it has just been with tihs engine,, and not the other engines, and yes I do have equal length on both side's we will just see what happens

The Skyline springs are not that strong. I destroy those just putting them on the engine. :sneaky: Try the OS ones or the STS ones that A.I. is recommending.

MRX4-R03 02-28-2007 06:39 PM

where can i get the os springs at our local hobby store does not carry alot of os parts or sts

rmdhawaii 02-28-2007 06:56 PM

A Main Hobbies: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6245

Tower Hobbies: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBFJ3&P=7

Try A Main first. ;)

hav_lova 03-01-2007 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
The Skyline springs are not that strong. I destroy those just putting them on the engine. :sneaky: Try the OS ones or the STS ones that A.I. is recommending.

Agreed, i throw the skyline springs in with the rc stuff i'll never ever use again and they go into the cupboard, they are shit :lol:

Keith_TBB 03-02-2007 11:45 PM

I broke like 3 or 4 header springs when using the wasp engine (the broken springs were all the header springs which came with Team Orion 2626 pipe set). After I switched back to use cheap Taiwanese made (I now use JPL) header springs, the problem's solved!

MRX4-R03 03-03-2007 05:01 AM

I guess it is just the engine because i havee never had a problem with my other engine like nova, or os not one header spring broken they just streached out!