R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to MaDaGAS CAR
Default how often to change a conrod

hey guys i have always wondered how often do u change the conrod in the engine any suggestions as to how often and under any circumstances ie. after run in, after how many litres, and so on any help is appreciated
MaDaGAS CAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDaGAS CAR
hey guys i have always wondered how often do u change the conrod in the engine any suggestions as to how often and under any circumstances ie. after run in, after how many litres, and so on any help is appreciated
Most factories suggest changing the initial conrod after break-in, and after wards that connecting rods be subjected to a measured operating life, and replaced maximum after 5 liters of fuel under normal operating circumstances.

It is also very important to check the condition of the connecting rod periodically during their operating life. This check should be performed after each race day, and the easiest way is to remove the rear cover from the engine (raise the piston up into a compressed position first! before removing the rear cover) then gently rotate the crankshaft in both directions to determine the amount of play in the connecting rod.

If the amount of play seems excessive (you can detect movement / play with your eye), carefully disassemble the engine and measure the crankshaft pin and connecting rod, a maximum differential of 0.04 and 0.05 mm in diameters is acceptable.

The fact that the crankshaft pin must be absolutely round (as must be the hole in the connecting rod) is one of the most overlooked aspects of engine wear, and can result in damage even with a brand new rod. The proper way to measure this is to measure with a micrometer on one axes (in line with the direction the rod would travel) and then again on the axes perpendicular to the first. The difference of these two measurements should be < 0.002 if any.

Also consider replacing the rod if the engine has seen any trauma such as a sustained over revving of the engine, or a significant over heating.

As a general rule engines that are run hard should have a rod replacement at least every 1.5 gallons of fuel regardless of visual inspection.

It is very hard to standardize how hard people run their engines, or what kind of gearing or temperatures these engines see, but is impossible to rebuild and engine with a hole in it, so error on the conservative side is in order.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's too bad that manufacturers don't put out any specs on Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) for conrods based on RPM and fuel consumption.

Question(s):

1. Why raise the piston to the compressed position before removing the rear plate?

2. What would cause a crankshaft pin to go out of round?

3. Sustained over revving for how long?

4. What would you consider significant overheating and for how long?

As always, thanks so much for your time and knowledge Alfonso.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
It's too bad that manufacturers don't put out any specs on Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) for conrods based on RPM and fuel consumption.

Question(s):

1. Why raise the piston to the compressed position before removing the rear plate?

2. What would cause a crankshaft pin to go out of round?

3. Sustained over revving for how long?

4. What would you consider significant overheating and for how long?

As always, thanks so much for your time and knowledge Alfonso.
1.- You could do it with the backplate off too. In that position the piston is catched by the pinch and by just moving the crank side to side (very little) without the piston moving, you are able to see the play on the crankpin end.

2.- The crankpin will allways go out of round with time, because the greatest stress over it occurs with every change in rotation of the rod/crank after explosion more or less at 45, which you'll see why when doing the wear/play inspection...ther is a sudden clank on the pin.

3.- For example you loose radio and the car goes loose overrevving until it stops or gets stopped by someone.

4.- Overheating.... for lets say one tank...

AFM
Old 02-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

AFM - Great information and many thanks for your site on this...

I'm new to Nitro and this really helps in knowing what to look for... I have learned a lot, but have a lot more to learn....

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:

The frequency will vary on the materials , how its run in and quality of oils in the fuel you use. In my experience ive had motors last over 35 litres before needing a rod change , others needed one after 15 litres .. the 35 litre one was a tiwanese motor and the 15 litre one was an italian motor.. both were punished equally just one wore more quickly..
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:01 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

thanks for the replys just a couple more questions

why is it recomended to change the conrod after run in?

wats the effects that run in has on it that normal day to day use doesnt?

cheers kosta
Old 02-07-2007, 04:21 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMods
The frequency will vary on the materials , how its run in and quality of oils in the fuel you use. In my experience ive had motors last over 35 litres before needing a rod change , others needed one after 15 litres .. the 35 litre one was a tiwanese motor and the 15 litre one was an italian motor.. both were punished equally just one wore more quickly..
Its the fuel, i've put at least 15 litres through my TZ and its still tight!

I change rods when they break? I have a pet hate for getting those little clips off the gudgeon pin so i prefer to just leave my conrods.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:57 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default Rods

Rpm is the rod killer. Onroad motors i would change them after a gallon to a gallon and a half. Offroad motors will last double that because they don't see the rpm of an onroad motor.
latemodel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
thanks for the replys just a couple more questions

why is it recomended to change the conrod after run in?

wats the effects that run in has on it that normal day to day use doesnt?

cheers kosta
Because when the engine is new, all tolerances are so tight that it places extra stress on the conrod....many times piston gets stuck at initial starts, so it places lots of loads on conrod bushings, and that is why we do break-in process on engines.

As I said before It is very hard to standardize how people run their engines, so error on the conservative side is in order.

AFM
Old 02-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I save a rod just for break in purposes. Take the new one out, slap in the break in rod and have at it. When you're done breaking in, replace the original (new rod). I use the break in rod for 2- 3 engines- possibly 4 depending on how much fuel it takes to loosen them up.

The top to bottom crank pin measurement will always be smaller after running for a while.... maybe only 0.005 smaller, but thats all it takes. Most good cranks will be 0.196" all around and probably slightly less up and down after running a few gallons- like 0.1955". If you get to 0.195" it's time for a new crank because even a new rod will be loose.

If you don't run the engine too hot, overrev or have a bad break-in (too cold), you should get 2.0gal on a rod. Just inspect frequently

Now, currently I have 2 engines with 1.75gal each on original R5 rods. I will run practice and maybe a heat or two more with each at the WinterNta's before I replace rods.... no matter how they feel/look/measure, etc.... 2.5gal. is my cutoff on a rod.

Avoid cold break-ins to prolong rod life
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:28 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong
I save a rod just for break in purposes. Take the new one out, slap in the break in rod and have at it. When you're done breaking in, replace the original (new rod). I use the break in rod for 2- 3 engines- possibly 4 depending on how much fuel it takes to loosen them up.

thats a realli good idea well so i think

is there anyway of gettin those stupid pins out that hold the conrod to the piston without them launching across the room never to be seen again
Old 02-08-2007, 03:45 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
thats a realli good idea well so i think

is there anyway of gettin those stupid pins out that hold the conrod to the piston without them launching across the room never to be seen again
You could try removing the mini clips (that you love so much )inside a plastic bag so when you favorite clip launches it won't go far
A simple idea but it should work oh, and use a clear bag and not the white or blue shopping bags
Old 02-08-2007, 03:53 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b
You could try removing the mini clips (that you love so much )inside a plastic bag so when you favorite clip launches it won't go far
A simple idea but it should work oh, and use a clear bag and not the white or blue shopping bags
That is a great idea!!!
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:35 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b
funny man u are itchy b but great idea, wat tool do u use to remove them?