R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default How often should you take the engine apart and clean it?

Just as the title says how many hours of use should you wait berfore you do a complete cleaning of the engine internals?

Some people tell me they do it every race, but I'm assuming that means when they complete the weekend right? Not necessarily after each time they run on the track.
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I do it every gallon or so of fuel to inspect the internals and clean at the same time. This of course depends on the quality of fuel you are using. If it's something that you are using for the first time, I would recommend to open it after the day of racing to inspect and see the internals. Low quality fuel can gunk the motor in a few tanks.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Tech Addict

I'm using 20% Byron's Racing Fuel and I've heard that's good.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
I'm using 20% Byron's Racing Fuel and I've heard that's good.
Cool . And like I said I don't go all out and open my motor after every race day. However, this is just my personal way of doing it which I think is pretty reasonable especially for club racing. If it's the nationals or some big race, then I would inspect the motor after a race day just to check and see if it needs attention.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi bros!!, i clean my engine inside/out every after practice and every after race.,, That means,, i practice 7x a month and race 1x per month.,,, its really nice to run a kit knowing your engine is really clean in and out.., and I enjoy every minute of it. thanx!!

Stay Serpent...
sandrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Yep. I agree. I strip and check every inch of the engine and car after each days running. A well maintained engine always runs better.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Tech Addict

What is considered a day's running? Sometimes I will run for an hour...sometimes a couple hours. You know what I mean?

I understand that after a long race day or long day of practice you should and definately I would. However, what about practicing at a local track or club racing? This is what I'm unsure of. I know I can rip it down each time, but I don't think it's necessary that much. Is it seriously?

Basically I'm wondering if you can run a couple hours...do after run maintenance and general cleaning of the car and then run a couple hours next week and be ok?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
What is considered a day's running? Sometimes I will run for an hour...sometimes a couple hours. You know what I mean?

I understand that after a long race day or long day of practice you should and definately I would. However, what about practicing at a local track or club racing? This is what I'm unsure of. I know I can rip it down each time, but I don't think it's necessary that much. Is it seriously?

Basically I'm wondering if you can run a couple hours...do after run maintenance and general cleaning of the car and then run a couple hours next week and be ok?
Its personal preference really. A general days running for me would consist of maybe 20mins practise, 4 x 5min qualifiers and a 30min final. If Im just running the engine on a bench etc I dont bother but if I run the car on the track even for 10mins I strip everything down including the engine. Always better to be save than sorry. Dirt can easily get into the fuel tank when refuelling.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to MaDaGAS CAR

wat u guys use to clean it ?????
MaDaGAS CAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDaGAS CAR
wat u guys use to clean it ?????
Bro, let me explain a bit more,,oki?. after fieldstripping it,,for cleanin' i use ordinary mild detergent powder., soak all parts then after bout' 10mins i brush the in/out all parts as well. Then wash and drain all water,spray lubricant on/in each part before slowly assembling it.,i make it apoint that all parts/screws are sprayed with penray or wd40.. then wipe the engine after assembly. Drop some ARO if you need to.., nice -fresh engine waiting to burn nitro sooon....heheh! oki?..thanx!

Stay Serpent...
sandrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:18 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

guys, can u actually use water and detergent to wash the engine in-and-outside? i have been wanting to totally clean my engine, but was too afraid that it might not be good with water. so normally, i just use nitro to rinse off the whole engine, which would be very clean as i can't clean the external fins. hmm, i think i shall try it soon.
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #12
Tech Master

I like to use kerosine, and a tooth brush to clean engines in and out , then blow them off, i re assemble with parrafin oil. If its a quick job i use a de greaser can then rinse the engine with water, i then blow it off and place it in front of a heat lamp , then i re oil it .. The de greaser has a water protectant in it , it will repel water from the surfaces of the engine..
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:16 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

hmm, i wonder if we can use detergent to clean in & out, then later use air compressor to blow dry, assemble back and lubricate with some after run.
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #14
Tech Elite

I break my on road motors down about once a month. I keep the outside and the airfilter clean all the time. The frequency that I break the motor down is the same as I clean the chassis. I mean all the way down to the bearings. You will be surprised after a good cleaning to discover cracks and how things have moved.
I use at the track, Simple Green a tooth brush and a good air compressor. Now my off roads.... I clean them everyday I race!
Old 02-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquexme
hmm, i wonder if we can use detergent to clean in & out, then later use air compressor to blow dry, assemble back and lubricate with some after run.
I personally use massivemods way. I clean thoroughly with a small baby toothbrush (soft bristles) with either kerosine or if I dont have any then I use straight fuel. I dont like using air to clean out the motor. It always seems to blow the dirt into the bearings unnoticed. Instead try using 3in1 oil sprayed through a airgun. I prefer leaving the engine soaking in 3in1 oil or equivilent overnight (totally stripped down - put all the separate parts in). That helps dissolve/clear any missed particles trapped in the bearings etc...

I have heard of people using detergent. I havent personally used this but I do know from other applications that you should steer away from powder based detergents like washing powder. The granules act like sandpaper and will at worst leave deep gouges in the case. Use washing liquid if anything. Make sure to rinse well afterwards to get it all removed and then steep the engine in something like 3in1 oil to relubricate and dissolve any missed detergent etc....