R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   WHAT RED PUTTY IS USED IN THE CRANK SHAFTS (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/141508-what-red-putty-used-crank-shafts.html)

MRX4-R03 12-23-2006 08:46 AM

WHAT RED PUTTY IS USED IN THE CRANK SHAFTS

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HERE KNEW WHAT RED PUTTY WAS USED LIKE IN THE NOVAS TUNNED AND JP MODDED VERSIONS. I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE USE JB WELD ALSO BUT I RATHER USE THE RED PUTTY...

FREELANCE_RCer 12-23-2006 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MRX4-R03
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HERE KNEW WHAT RED PUTTY WAS USED LIKE IN THE NOVAS TUNNED AND JP MODDED VERSIONS. I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE USE JB WELD ALSO BUT I RATHER USE THE RED PUTTY...

I used Permatex high-temp RTV silicone.

MRX4-R03 12-23-2006 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by FREELANCE_RCer
I used Permatex high-temp RTV silicone.

does it hold good and have you had any problems with it.. does it set easy or do you have to work with it..

FREELANCE_RCer 12-23-2006 09:12 PM

does it hold good and have you had any problems with it.. does it set easy or do you have to work with it..

I haven't had any problems with it but you have to work with it to make it look good.

I grind the inside of the crankshaft and washed it with laundry soap and completely clean and dry. Then stuffed it with putty little by little to prevent any trapped air. I used laundry soap to wash the crankshaft because other soap makes the surface smooth.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow of my personally modded engine.

stefan 12-24-2006 03:02 AM

I haven't had any problems with it but you have to work with it to make it look good.

I grind the inside of the crankshaft and washed it with laundry soap and completely clean and dry. Then stuffed it with putty little by little to prevent any trapped air. I used laundry soap to wash the crankshaft because other soap makes the surface smooth.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow of my personally modded engine.

That's what I've been using for a long time, but if you do engines for customers, they don't like the surface quality, although it doesn't matter.

You need to use a liquid silicone that flows into the cavity and form a glass like surface.

I think GE has a liquid RTV 112 in different colors

FREELANCE_RCer 12-24-2006 03:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Stefan, I'm not as good as murnan, jim hottinger or any other engine modifiers out there. It's just an experiment that I did on my engines but gives good results. I run [break-in] my engine before I modify it, so that it will give me an idea on how I will mod the engine. Because of the stains [fuel burns] on the sleeves I grind it for smooth flow of air and fuel to the combustion chamber.

Here's some sample pictures of the sleeve/crankshaft on my engine that I'm currently running. I mod the crankshaft from EFRA to IFMAR turbo type with an extra port [bi-port] just like the RB's.

T1bobo 12-24-2006 03:58 PM

Hi Stefan, I'm not as good as murnan, jim hottinger or any other engine modifiers out there. It's just an experiment that I did on my engines but gives good results. I run [break-in] my engine before I modify it, so that it will give me an idea on how I will mod the engine. Because of the stains [fuel burns] on the sleeves I grind it for smooth flow of air and fuel to the combustion chamber.

Here's some sample pictures of the sleeve/crankshaft on my engine that I'm currently running. I mod the crankshaft from EFRA to IFMAR turbo type with an extra port [bi-port] just like the RB's.

I just wanted to know what you would use to mod an enige like this? I might have something in mind for my next one!!

Scott Fisher 12-24-2006 04:42 PM

Red Play-Doh?

MRX4-R03 12-24-2006 04:44 PM

DOES IT REALLY MATTER IF THE PUTTY IS SMOOTH AS GLASS, OR JUST ON BECAUSE IT IS HARD TO GET IN THERE TO SMOOTH OUT..

MRX4-R03 12-24-2006 05:42 PM

HERE IS A PIC OF ONE I TRIED WITH JB WELD
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...a/eb7a19cb.jpg
HERE IS A PIC OF THE RED RTV
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...2/eb7a181c.jpg
AND HERE IS MY MODDED NS12S5 I HAVE BEEN RUNNING BUT I WANTED TO TRY THE VENTURE FLOW SO I PLAYED WITH TWO CRANKS
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...a/eb7a1755.jpg
SO WHAT WILL WORK BETTER JB OR THE RED PUTTY
I WEIGHED BOTH AND BOTH ARE 26 GRAMS

FREELANCE_RCer 12-24-2006 07:52 PM

I guess smoother is better, but the difference is unoticeable.

JB weld and red RTV are both can withstand high temperatures, but JB weld is easy to work on than red RTV.

Looks like you widened the opening on your crankshaft.

MRX4-R03 12-24-2006 08:45 PM

I guess smoother is better, but the difference is unoticeable.

JB weld and red RTV are both can withstand high temperatures, but JB weld is easy to work on than red RTV.

Looks like you widened the opening on your crankshaft.

YEA BUT IS THERE ANY DRAWBACKS WHEN USING JB WELD THAN THE RED PUTTY BECAUSE THE JB EVENS OUT BETTER, I AM JUST WORRIED IT IS GOING TO MESS WITH THE BALANCE OF THE CRANK SHAFT OR NOT...
ANYBODY ELSE WANNA ADD THERE 2 CENTS..
AND YES I DID OPEN THE MOUTH A TAD BIT..AND HAVE GREAT RESULTS EVEN WITH MY X12 THAT I MODDED SEEMS TO BE FASTER THAN THE 5PORT SO THE CRANK WITH THE RTV IS THE X12 CRANK,
I AM GOING TO TRY IT OUT THIS WEK AND SEE IF THERE IS A DIFF WITH THE PUTTY OR NOTHING AT ALL..
THANKS AGAIN..

FREELANCE_RCer 12-24-2006 09:13 PM

YEA BUT IS THERE ANY DRAWBACKS WHEN USING JB WELD THAN THE RED PUTTY BECAUSE THE JB EVENS OUT BETTER, I AM JUST WORRIED IT IS GOING TO MESS WITH THE BALANCE OF THE CRANK SHAFT OR NOT...
ANYBODY ELSE WANNA ADD THERE 2 CENTS..
AND YES I DID OPEN THE MOUTH A TAD BIT..AND HAVE GREAT RESULTS EVEN WITH MY X12 THAT I MODDED SEEMS TO BE FASTER THAN THE 5PORT SO THE CRANK WITH THE RTV IS THE X12 CRANK,
I AM GOING TO TRY IT OUT THIS WEK AND SEE IF THERE IS A DIFF WITH THE PUTTY OR NOTHING AT ALL..
THANKS AGAIN..

The only drawbacks is if ever the JB weld chipped off from crankshaft is that it might score the piston and damage on con rod, bearings, and internals due to it's like a stone when hardened.

MRX4-R03 12-24-2006 09:32 PM

THAT IS A VERY GOOD POINT...

stefan 12-24-2006 11:54 PM

THAT IS A VERY GOOD POINT...

The REAL problem with JB (epoxy) is that it's not alcohol (methanol) resistant.

It will soften and eventually loose adhesion, so better go with the RTV.