Search
Like Tree1Likes

JL Racing .12

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

question about bearings...

i could find online both front and rear bearings for the jl3.
51517 costs $29
51518 costs $36
These are same as those which are supplied with the engine.

however if you look at boca bearings , #ENK-145C-HP, it includes both front and rear for $56, and these are ceramic.

would anyone know, why the price is so different? what would you do? Would you consider the boca ceramics?

Last edited by gortan; 10-01-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would go for the original, and regarding price "you get what you paid for"
Old 09-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
So are you saying that TKO and BOCA ceramic bearings are inferior to the stock steel bearings?
I always though TKO and Boca had a good reputation for bearings.....I was planning on trying a set of ceramics from one of these companies when my bearings wear out.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Baedarlboo
So are you saying that TKO and BOCA ceramic bearings are inferior to the stock steel bearings?
I always though TKO and Boca had a good reputation for bearings.....I was planning on trying a set of ceramics from one of these companies when my bearings wear out.
PICCO engine bearings are Swiss made precision bearings.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:37 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
so actually you are saying that a JL engine is crap....
Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

Actually what I am saying is that your brain is full of crap, I answered a question regarding bearings, which part did you not understand?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Adept

thanks for the replies guys.

i have no doubt the stock bearings are good.
still going strong after around 2 gallons!

what i believe was meant in the previous posts.. is that the JL being inheretly cheap, should give mediocre performance, but it does not. It's a top performer for the price. I'd like to know if boca bearings would offer the same value for money and performance from your experience..

thanks
g
Old 10-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gortan

what i believe was meant in the previous posts.. is that the JL being inheretly cheap, should give mediocre performance, but it does not. It's a top performer for the price. I'd like to know if boca bearings would offer the same value for money and performance from your experience..

thanks
g
Try it and let me know. I don't need to replace bearings yet, but I have been looking at the boca ceramics for when mine wears out.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H
so actually you are saying that a JL engine is crap....
well i know those over priced novas dont promise you a thing but low run times, so i will take my gas sippin JL any and everyday.

affordable and cheap, are two different things partner
Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gortan

thanks
g
The new MX series from Boca are very good. They have a offset to the raceway for better load handling. And also the stock WIB's that Sam has spoke about are good. They are swiss and they are very good. The ceramics are smoother and a bit more free spinning. The only thing that needs to be said is that ceramics are not a "forever" bearing does not matter any brand. The ceramic is harder and also more spherically correct. The hardness allows for no distortion of the ball under load but with that will come the sacrifice of the hardness will wear the raceways a little more and also sooner. Just some information. You have to make the choice on what you would like to have more a little more performance or a little longer life span.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

hmmm,xspower i thought that ceramics had better durability and srength unter hi temperature.
how about the tko?has any try them?i am looking for some feedback!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Guys,
I am having an issue while installing my Red Dot Evo 3 in my MTX-4R. I install the clutch per the manual for the car. When I put the motor in the car it seems like the crank shaft is too short. When meshing the gears there is not enough adjustment in the chassis to have the the pinions completly in contact with the spur gears. ( This is side to side adjustment in the car, not front to back) Is there something I am missing here? Do I need to add a shim behind the collet to have the flywheel/clutch assembly out further? This is a new motor, I previously had the same motor in my MTX-3 and had no issues. I am using the stock chassis in the car and stock engine mounts. I have the Kyosho 1 piece mount and it gives me the same problem. I have also tried to mount my old motor in the MTX4-R and I also have this issue.

Any help would be huge!

Thank you,

George
Old 10-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

what collet are u using. u need to use the one that came with the kit or the motor. not the mtx3 one
Old 10-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gentleman81
what collet are u using. u need to use the one that came with the kit or the motor. not the mtx3 one
I am using the one that come with the engine. Someone suggested that the carb may be hitting the brake disc. I am going to check that out when I get home. I will take some pics of what I am having a problem with.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

There are a lot of guys here running the JL engine with MTX 4/4R and have never encountered the problem you are having, post a picture and let us see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.