Like Tree1Likes

JL Racing .12

Old 05-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Been there done that, running my ZX .12 in it now with no problem, as i have stated have seen first hand what the engine will do and this one is not in there league, i just seem to have one that wont play the game, the others taht have looked at and tried it have a lot more yrs in R/C than i have, they also run JR engines in there cars, just might be a factory fault (it can happen), the engine has not been abuse (haven't had it running properly to abuse it, hasn't even seen a full 5min qualifier yet) it was run in using the method stated by Sam as others i race with used also, so i'm at a lose and going bald thinking about it
Old 05-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mugenville
Been there done that, running my ZX .12 in it now with no problem, as i have stated have seen first hand what the engine will do and this one is not in there league, i just seem to have one that wont play the game, the others taht have looked at and tried it have a lot more yrs in R/C than i have, they also run JR engines in there cars, just might be a factory fault (it can happen), the engine has not been abuse (haven't had it running properly to abuse it, hasn't even seen a full 5min qualifier yet) it was run in using the method stated by Sam as others i race with used also, so i'm at a lose and going bald thinking about it
One thing you should probably try is to open the bottom needle one full turn and see if it still looses power after two laps.

Picco engines have to be really rich on the bottom and they need to be run for at least five laps before you can start tuning them. This is caused by the composite carb, which takes much longer to get to operating temp than for example a Nova carb.

I've seen a lot of people who have a lot of Nova experience, struggling with the Piccos, simply because the started to tune when the engine was till too cold.
Most of the times, the bottom end (which seems too rich compared to a Nova) will be leaned down, which causes the engine to loose power once it reaches operating temp.

You could also try a Nova carb, to rule your carb out as the source of trouble.

Last but not least, as Sam said, try another pipe.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

I must be belting my head against a wall or something, we've started from scratch with factory settings on many occasions, still the same, had the guy's that run this engine at the track look at it with no success, they have put it in there own cars and run with the same problems i have had, they all know about the fat setting on the low end, all have said there is a problem, oh well looks like i'm getting no help here, i'll just cut my loses and put it down to an experiance i'd rather forget (a 200$ paper weight), maybe the few ppl that know me and have looked at this engine might put in there comments about it, we all cant be that stupid
Old 05-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

...Mugen ville - sell it and buy a nova plus 12 3ct
Old 05-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

I must be belting my head against a wall or something, we've started from scratch with factory settings on many occasions, still the same, had the guy's that run this engine at the track look at it with no success, they have put it in there own cars and run with the same problems i have had, they all know about the fat setting on the low end, all have said there is a problem, oh well looks like i'm getting no help here, i'll just cut my loses and put it down to an experiance i'd rather forget (a 200$ paper weight), maybe the few ppl that know me and have looked at this engine might put in there comments about it, we all cant be that stupid
What head clearance are you running?

Btw, what are the factory settings? Never seen them anywhere.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What plug are you running. I was using a nova plug once (big mistake) and the engine was hard to tune, been using Picco plugs and both of my JLs run like clockwork.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

mugenville is going through the same thing my team mate is having. We have 2 of these engines and one runs great while the other does not. We are running the picco hot plugs in both. I have had Picco engines for years and this is the first one that we can not get tuned. The reason I think it may be the pipe is because my car has the 2067 pipe and runs great. The one with the skyline pipe has problems. It is also breaking header springs. I think we have gone through 4 springs in the last 2 days. I am going to put the problem engine in my car and see what is does.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i see a few things wrong here. a belief that there is a casting fault or some production fault with the engine. and your head hurts from belting it against a wall
so do you want to settle a bit and work on the problem ?
your descriptions of the problem are some what vague. ok it looses power after a couple of laps. its leaking fuel. but from where ?
i would suggest to head to a car park, or track if its close.
absolutley clean the engine spotless. dont try to seal anything up, just nice and clean. get it runningget some heat into it. idle for about 1 min or 2. shut it off. see if there is any fuel leaking at this point. if not, then start it up and run around a lap , bring it in. check for leaks. still none ? run 2 laps, by the sound you will have the problem happen now if not already. once the fuel is evident , then run it no more. pull it out and have a good look at it. if its not from the carb, then it has to be coming from somewhere. note how high the fuel stain is. if its right up to the head, then id say its coming from the glow plug. you have not mentioned once what plug you are running ? it is a heat problem. so when its getting heat into it, something is loosing its seal (ie, power loss). if you want the problem sorted, then be very methodic on how you aproach the problem. dont try to sort out issues on a race day, sort it out when no one else is running, its much easier, no stress about if its going to be ok , am i going to race today ? if you do this , then you will find where the fuel is coming from, and the problem can then be sorted out. good luck.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

NOW THAT, IS TROUBLESHOOTING!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Well i can tick a couple of that list, Picco plug #6 and the pipe is 2607 all which are recommended to use

Last edited by Mugenville; 05-26-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

I managed to hit 300f with mine today 2nd speed was broken so i was stuck in first for the last 10 minutes.

From past experience, are these engines pretty tough even when over heated? It was my second race with it.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlesd
I managed to hit 300f with mine today 2nd speed was broken so i was stuck in first for the last 10 minutes.

From past experience, are these engines pretty tough even when over heated? It was my second race with it.
I've had 2nd strip on me and continued running but by the end it got pretty hot but still runs great!
It's an evo2 BTW!
Old 05-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlesd

It will still run good, but I would suggest replacing the Connecting Rod before running it again, overreving (by getting stuck in 2nd gear) a Picco engine actually weakens the rod bushings.
Also did you tear the engine apart to inspect the internals? how is the top of the piston and the head button? are they badly pitted?
Old 05-26-2008, 03:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked in this thread before, but can anyone explain the difference between the 'TC' & 'TH' plugs. For example the P5TC and P5TH are both hot filament plugs, but one is described as 'Turbo Cold - TC' and the other 'Turbo Hot - TH'. I'm a little confused by this. by the way, is a hot plug suitable for 16% in the Evo3? My preference is a P6, but cant find any close by at the moment. thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this is what I've been able to find. Don't remeber where...

TURBO COLD GLOW-PLUGS to use when humidity is below 70%
*P5TC hot filament
*P6TC medium filament
*P7TC cold filament

TURBO HOT GLOW-PLUGS to use when humidity is above 70%
*P5TH hot filament
*P6TH medium filament
*P7TH cold filament

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.