Like Tree1Likes

JL Racing .12

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 PM
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff1
How do I ensure that my engine has no air leaks? Whats the method? Sometime I find it hard to tune.. is not steady

there are marks on the rear cover i think the conrod is touching it.. why of that? its normal?

thanks
The marks on the back plate are normal
For the air leak make sure you press the carburator in really tight before you tight the screw
Old 12-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Your POPs? What's his Name?
carlo from ehobbyhouse
Old 12-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wad
The marks on the back plate are normal
For the air leak make sure you press the carburator in really tight before you tight the screw
I pressed the carb against the engine block while i was tightening all the way down
Old 12-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

After running this engine on the weekend found it hard to tune and gets very hot, have blister to prove, (had so good tuners look at it and still no go) on Sunday wouldn't start at all, replaced it with my ZX.12 and everything was fine, so no air leaks in the fuel system, also took the backing plate of for a look and found the rod has play in it on the pin to the crank, a little depressed at the moment as my mates JLR's kick ass not sure if it's air leaks or what but the carby is sealed around the neck with RTV
Old 12-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Engine likes a rather ricj bottom end, set it so that after going WOT it will instantly come back to a low idle, then just tune the top end. I runed my Evo3 JL all weekend and the engines has BALLS!!
Old 12-03-2007, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugenville
After running this engine on the weekend found it hard to tune and gets very hot, have blister to prove, (had so good tuners look at it and still no go) on Sunday wouldn't start at all, replaced it with my ZX.12 and everything was fine, so no air leaks in the fuel system, also took the backing plate of for a look and found the rod has play in it on the pin to the crank, a little depressed at the moment as my mates JLR's kick ass not sure if it's air leaks or what but the carby is sealed around the neck with RTV
have ran JLR over 6 months now, have to said this engine is quite easy to tune if you can keep in mind that need to run very rich bottom end and use the right pipe then you should be fine I have tried 4 different pipe on this engine only Picco 2607 pipe can show the potential on this engine. its day and night in performance.

if you race in Mbank next club meet then come and see me I'll try to help you out.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

the seem on the carb body between the composite and aluminum can leak on the Picco's......some JB weld, or 1211 will seal it right up..... sometimes the carbs wont leak till they get heat soaked.....
Old 12-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tl2111
have ran JLR over 6 months now, have to said this engine is quite easy to tune if you can keep in mind that need to run very rich bottom end and use the right pipe then you should be fine I have tried 4 different pipe on this engine only Picco 2607 pipe can show the potential on this engine. its day and night in performance.

if you race in Mbank next club meet then come and see me I'll try to help you out.
Thanks will be there in 2 weeks with ItchyB (Joe), was running with the 2607 pipe, did you run on the weekend if so was yours the purplily coloured body if it was that was one quick SOB. Are you T Lee
Maximo the carby was sealed with RTV sealant, was running on saturday but poorly and then saturday arvo it sort of died and wouldn't start, changed plug Sunday morning and it just wouldn't start at all, was over the moon to be running this engine at the birthday bash and having a good showing but that went out the window real quick, but i'll let tl2111 have a look and see what can be done, also have another new one as a backup so might have to run that in now and see how that goes
Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks will be there in 2 weeks with ItchyB (Joe), was running with the 2607 pipe, did you run on the weekend if so was yours the purplily coloured body if it was that was one quick SOB. Are you T Lee
Yeap that is my car, have to say tunning is spot on with picco pipe on the weekend and that is only the JL not JL3, cant wait to break in my JL3, temp was on 115-125 depend the time of the day.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you like your JL, you will love your JL Evo 3. Its even faster, and it stillgets good mileage.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tl2111
Yeap that is my car, have to say tunning is spot on with picco pipe on the weekend and that is only the JL not JL3, cant wait to break in my JL3, temp was on 115-125 depend the time of the day.
I'll come over and talk to you in 2weeks if your there, might change carby's from the new one and see how that goes, seeing these first hand yours, itchyB's and XR Turbo's i'm not disappointed i got them, just fustrated
Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Well you may not be seeing mine for a little while the metal sleeve on the base of the carby has come
away from the plastic so the carby parted company with engine. Im a little confused as to how it happened
cause i didn't hit anything and all my end points are correct.

Last edited by Xr Turbo; 12-04-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I just bought a Ofna .12 Picco Red Dot Offroad and will be using 25% fuel. Can someone recommend a glow plug to start with? I live in Australia and it currently is Summer.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
I just bought a Ofna .12 Picco Red Dot Offroad and will be using 25% fuel. Can someone recommend a glow plug to start with? I live in Australia and it currently is Summer.

I'd be using a 6 but make sure you use a picco plug i found other brands that i've tried leak.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xr Turbo
I'd be using a 6 but make sure you use a picco plug i found other brands that i've tried leak.
My local hobby shop only carrys O.S & Nova Rossi (well most hobby stores in Australia do). Would a OS P7 be the next best thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.